DV247 Forums - A Global Community for Music Makers Lowest Price Guaranteed, Free Delivery, Free 3 Year Warranty
Go Back   DV247 Forums - A Global Community for Music Makers > News > Pro Audio Product News/Updates
Forgot Password? Join Us!
Home Register Groups FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Go to DV247.com
New to Forums or just joined? Why not start your journey here?

Pro Audio Product News/Updates Breaking news on pro-audio products and manufacturer updates

LinkBack (1) Thread Tools Display Modes
  1 links from elsewhere to this Post. Click to view. #1 (permalink)  
Old 2nd January 2009 , 04:07 PM
Sound Guru

Lightbulb NAMM 2009: New Studio Gear, Rumours and Expectations

(to cop a thread title from Jeremy... and perhaps the AES thread can be unstickied and replaced with this one!)

NAMM is in a couple weeks. Any ideas?

Cubase 5 of course, Ableton Live 8 seems likely as well... maybe if we're REALLY lucky Logic Pro 8.1...

The Kurzweil 61-key version of the PC3X has floated around here already I believe...

One possibility that's crossed my mind recently is new Focusrite Liquid Mix hardware of some kind... the firewire versions have both been selling significantly cheaper than they were before, and they're marked on DV's (and other's) websites as "Limited Offers" ... wonder if they're trying to shift old stock out in time? It's been a couple years, perhaps an update is in order. Also, I wonder if the Saffire 26 will receive a refresh along the lines of the Saffire 40.

tc electronic is teasingly promising "an entirely new product category" as opposed to simply a new product or two.

A new Digidesign small-format control surface perhaps? Something to replace the Command|8 which is long overdue for an overhaul (and was also blown out by DV last year!)

There are rumours of new Waves plug-in bundles continuing the JJP theme - that is, modelled after specific hardware in mixer's studios as opposed to just the "generic" models. I personally could not be less interested in that concept, but other will disagree.

Anyway, more as I hear it... jump in if you have anything interesting or semi-concrete.
whitecat is offline Offline
Last edited by whitecat; 2nd January 2009 at 04:23 PM. . <
Old 2nd January 2009 , 04:13 PM
Mic Check 1!

Jigsaw are flogging all their demo hd systems so it would surprise me if we finally saw its replacement
Old 2nd January 2009 , 08:05 PM
Administrator

Hereby 'stickied' and denoted the official thread for all things new from NAMM in 2009..
Expect Mr Lumsden in very soon no doubt
Old 2nd January 2009 , 08:11 PM
Keeper o' the Keys!

Quote:
Originally Posted by terminal3 View Post
Cubase 5 of course
Let's hope that would also include a complete overhaul of the entrie set of bundled plug-ins... I think Steinberg have really fallen behind in this respect.

Will be intrigued to see if there is something new for LiquidMix, and hopefully with a software upgrade for the existing firewire units to go with it!

NI have been somewhat quiet of late, surely they must be due to come out with something new, or at least new versions of something
Old 2nd January 2009 , 08:21 PM
Forum Idol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Boulden View Post
NI have been somewhat quiet of late, surely they must be due to come out with something new, or at least new versions of something
Oooo N.I have really peaved me off today! spent an hour on the phone to them over in Germany and was meant to send me an email to solve a issue and never did, any way rant over they have been working on a Huge update to Kontakt, it will bring it to 3.5 but no holding breathe as they have already missed a number of deadlines
http://twitter.com/djsureno
sureno is offline Offline
Old 2nd January 2009 , 08:49 PM
Sound Guru

Yes, I've heard the Kontakt news, although no idea when that will happen...

Lots of other NI products have been seriously reduced in price recently, at least in the US... I know one major US retailer was/is selling Massive for $99, so Kontakt may not be the only update in the pipeline.

@Dave - well, the Liquid Mix revision is a guess/hunch rather than a fact but I think the signs point that way! Perhaps more inbuilt DSP and more memory/storage for a greater number of built-in convolutions, plus new convolutions... plus maybe FX other than EQ and dynamics? What's to say they couldn't put a reverb in there or something? Just thinkin' out loud here...
Old 2nd January 2009 , 09:01 PM
Forum Idol

Quote:
Yes, I've heard the Kontakt news, although no idea when that will happen...

Lots of other NI products have been seriously reduced in price recently, at least in the US... I know one major US retailer was/is selling Massive for $99, so Kontakt may not be the only update in the pipeline.
i went through all the official update pages over at N.I today and other than Kontakt didn't see any synths looking to be updated so may be a possible new one??? or probably just more silence

any way bring on live 8, i hope it is in some way incorporating serato
Old 3rd January 2009 , 03:02 PM
Sound Guru

Default New Fender 'Road Worn' guitars...

Basically Mexican relics... around $950 US. Apparently they're nitro-spraying the 50s classic tele bodies though in Mexico, which is new and might bode well for future non-fake-aged axes coming out of there. Otherwise, I'm afraid I'm not interested in these. I'll abuse my guitar myself, thankyouverymuch. But some like the vibe that comes with the faux aging.

Old 3rd January 2009 , 05:24 PM
Sound Guru

At least one, erm, "competing retailer" (we all know nobody can really compete with DV, don't we? ) is listing the Saffire 26 as being discontinued now. Replacement imminent, as suggested? Or just being eliminated from the lineup based on the positioning of the 40? I think the only features the Saffire 40 really lacks that the 26 had are standalone mode (it becomes a glorified Octopre with arguably better mic amps and a tendency to run very hot) and wordclock I/O, but the latter never works properly on the 26 anyway. Other than that, it's got a lot MORE going for it... hmmmm.
Old 3rd January 2009 , 08:12 PM
Sound Guru

New Dynamic EQ plug-in from Brainworx...

scoop here: http://www.gearjunkies.com/news_info.php?news_id=3387
Old 3rd January 2009 , 08:53 PM
Costa Del Cool

[QUOTE=terminal3;23166]Basically Mexican relics... around $950 US. Apparently they're nitro-spraying the 50s classic tele bodies though in Mexico, which is new and might bode well for future non-fake-aged axes coming out of there. Otherwise, I'm afraid I'm not interested in these. I'll abuse my guitar myself, thankyouverymuch. But some like the vibe that comes with the faux aging.

Must say I can't see the point of these! A dirtied up version of something that exists already? Why? Like you T3, I like my instruments to look new and to dirty up with age, wear and tear!
Old 3rd January 2009 , 09:52 PM
Sound Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by sphelan View Post
[

Must say I can't see the point of these! A dirtied up version of something that exists already? Why? Like you T3, I like my instruments to look new and to dirty up with age, wear and tear!
Well, the Fender Custom Shop has been cranking out these so-called "relics" for a few years now. These new Mexi versions just make it cheaper, as up to now, getting a "Relic" version of an existing Custom Shop instrument would cost you even more than getting a regular version. There are three official "grades" on CS reissues - NOS (new old stock) - as if it has been sitting at a dealer for 50 years in the packaging untouched. Then, there's 'Closet Classic' - which most of my guitars probably look most like anyway - a few nicks and dings, oxidised hardware but otherwise pretty clean. They look used, but not rough. Then there's the "relic" finish which is road-used, abused and worn. And the price increases from the former to the latter...

This brings the price under $1k US for those that lusted after that for some reason. A couple instruments previously from Fender that were under $1k were relic'd via decals, believe it or not - which is beyond lame (for the record it was the Joe Strummer Tele and Rory Gallagher Strat).

I am not one of those people that is interested in it, but clearly there's a big market for it!
Old 3rd January 2009 , 09:57 PM
Forum Idol

Quote:
New Dynamic EQ plug-in from Brainworx...

scoop here: http://www.gearjunkies.com/news_info.php?news_id=3387
they have some lovely plugs from what i hear not that im any where near the level to know how to really exploit their functions though
Old 4th January 2009 , 08:31 PM
Forum Idol

may be the new McDSP "Retro" plugs will be announced
Old 5th January 2009 , 12:58 PM
Sound Guru

These were announced a couple months ago but I wonder if they might surface at NAMM. Strictly limited quantities, so if you need to get your hands on 'em you best, erm, Rush...