DV247 Forums - A Global Community for Music Makers

DV247 Forums - A Global Community for Music Makers (/)
-   Pro Audio Product News/Updates (http://forums.dv247.com/pro-audio-product-news-updates/)
-   -   Autumn Arturia 2 for 1 offer (http://forums.dv247.com/pro-audio-product-news-updates/1603-autumn-arturia-2-1-offer.html)

whitecat 9th October 2008 10:29 PM

Autumn Arturia 2 for 1 offer

(this one)

Hmmmm.

This is actual Arturia press release/website copy from the previous buy-one-get-one-free offer that Arturia did this past summer:

Quote:

This once in a life-time offer will end on August 31st 2008. Once this deal is past, it will never come again. So don’t miss another day and treat yourself to virtual instruments that will open your sonic palette.
Emphasis added. :rolleyes:

(liars!!!)

sureno 9th October 2008 10:36 PM

have you been on their forums recently? dead, no response from admin nothing, i think they might be relying on origin to pull them out of some serious hot water, it wouldn't surprise me if they went the way giga did

Jeremy Lumsden 10th October 2008 04:55 AM

Hey guys.

Strictly speaking the promotion is dead but DV still have some promotional stock (& more due) which contain the vouchers and Arturia will honour these codes. :thumbsup:

Monarch 10th October 2008 10:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sureno (Post 12310)
have you been on their forums recently? dead, no response from admin nothing, i think they might be relying on origin to pull them out of some serious hot water, it wouldn't surprise me if they went the way giga did

I thought Arturia were doing really well. :confused: Their plugins for the most part have received excellent reviews.

Maybe the VSTi market is just so congested now, perhaps it simply cannot financially sustain all the devs currently making a living from it anymore.It would not surprise me if the move by Cakewalk, Steinberg, Logic (years ago) and more recently Digi to develop their own in house instruments, really hit the likes of Tascam and maybe Arturia pretty hard.

Arturia I think have one or two Roland emulations...now a Fantom ships with Sonar Vstudio. It would not surprise me to see more Roland synths in Sonar's future (surely) at cheaper price points.There was a time were Native instruments for instance really had a fairly unchallenged target market to aim for as Cubase, Protools and Cakewalk had hardly any Synth offerings of their own...say 4 - 6 years ago.

That time frame for the Synth market also saw Reason really take off in a big way. Maybe Propellerheads made enough money to sustain their development into the future (back then) but others like Tascam clearly did not. Summer NAMM used to have big software announcements..even that seemed to dry up a bit over the last two years.

I really think Digi (with A.I.R/Wizoo), Cubase, Cakewalk e.t.c have really shifted the market focus to their own offerings perhaps deciding to try re routing the revenue that was going into 3rd party coffers for so many years, into their own revenue stream.

Logics price drop was another huge problem most likely for 3rd party synth and even FX devs.... Logic has about 80 Fx and 40 Instruments for about the same price as some third party synths and even some 3rd party FX bundles. It's a much harder place for 3rd party sofware devs IMO. Host devs have problems of their own and are squeezing the synth and Fx Market place more and more so they themselves can survive.

The music software market place is just so competitive. Add all the free offerings as well (many of which are *very* good indeed) and really it does not look like it will get any easier for 3rd party devs.

whitecat 10th October 2008 10:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeremy Lumsden (Post 12317)
Hey guys.

Strictly speaking the promotion is dead but DV still have some promotional stock (& more due) which contain the vouchers and Arturia will honour these codes. :thumbsup:

Cheers Jeremy! Makes a bit more sense.

@Sureno: no, haven't used the Arturia forums at all yet. I got CS-80V and Prophet V in the last 2 for 1, but have barely had time to play with 'em yet. No huge issues yet other than one pretty spectacular crash with Prophet that I've been unable (thankfully) to repeat, so no reason to hit up their forums. In any case...

@Monarch: good post, I think what you're saying is generally true. The price of VSTi plug-ins is going to have to come down, not only in response to the major DAW manufacturers giving away so much, but I think in general people are going to be spending less on these sorts of things in the current financial climate (I know I will be!) It's unfortunate because I do realise how much work goes into them and that it takes a ridiculous amount of time & effort to put together the good ones, but by the same token, if they're all half the price hopefully they sell twice as many and at least break even. :)