DV247 Forums - A Global Community for Music Makers Lowest Price Guaranteed, Free Delivery, Free 3 Year Warranty
Go Back   DV247 Forums - A Global Community for Music Makers > Technique > Peer Review
Forgot Password? Join Us!
Home Register Groups FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Go to DV247.com
New to Forums or just joined? Why not start your journey here?

Peer Review Need feedback, advice, constructive criticism? Got writers block or seeking inspiration? - Link to your productions & ask fellow members here

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 26th November 2008 , 09:01 PM
Furry Filter Phreak

Default A quick hack and a bit of an eye-opener...

(Updated)

I bought 3 of the Vengence sounds CDs today (about 7500 samples between them) - had been meaning to get some of them for a while, mainly for vocal clips and the fx etc.

Anyway - I knocked this clip up in about an hour or so originally in Ableton live and spent most of that time reviewing samples. (Edit: spent about another hour or so today re-warping and re-chopping the two loops to get them much tighter with everything else and sticking a flanger on a part.)

Now I know where half the dance music producer seem to get their sounds from!
I make no claim of trying to be original or anything - just messing about with whats there - kind of scary if like me you normally spend hours creating sounds with synths and fx etc..

Stuff used from the CDs -
1 HH/perc loop that I warped and chopped up.
A vocal+high synthy loop that was warped for groove
Kick sample - loaded into impulse
Some single chord stab samples - messed with and loaded into impulse
A few fx and atmospheric samples that I fiddled with for eg reversing, clip envelopes, filter+reverb etc.

Otherwise Ableton's built in fx for delays, reverb anf flanger, a Virus TI for the bass, and some samples that I also made but derived from some on the sample CDs, part of the mix is stuffed through one of two a kick pumped compressor (fabfilter Pro-C - oneto pump the bass, the other for a softer pumping of selected parts) and then run through a UAD precision series EQ (just to roll of at 20Hz) and limiter.

TBH, if I could have been bothered to sift though zillions of bass and synth samples, then probably would have done the whole thing from samples, but trawling though wave files get really tedious after a while.

No time at all spent on actually mixing, EQing etc this (theres a bunch of things that would need sorting...) - its just a quick hack for illustration

** Sorry had to take it down - no nothing bad - actually something rather good
Khazul is offline Offline
Last edited by Khazul; 30th November 2008 at 11:49 PM. . <
Old 26th November 2008 , 09:11 PM
Forum Idol

Like i said before and will continue doing so, it looks like all the "pro's" are doing this and as the producer Stonebridge freely spoke about how this was the case, disheartening imo. still a cool sounding track though
http://twitter.com/djsureno
sureno is offline Offline
Old 26th November 2008 , 10:42 PM
Furry Filter Phreak

Is this what your referring to?

Stone in the studio
Old 26th November 2008 , 10:46 PM
Forum Idol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khazul View Post
Is this what your referring to?

Stone in the studio
yep
Old 26th November 2008 , 10:58 PM

It does sound very commercial, tons of reverb, no wonder some people are saying that a lot of chart music sounds the same of very similar, I guess this is the musical equivalent of painting by numbers... Solution: If ya can't join them, beat them!
MikeHunt79 is offline Offline
Old 27th November 2008 , 12:53 AM
Furry Filter Phreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureno View Post
yep
Did you watch the vids? I noticed he ripped some perc loop off some random CD for that mix he was working on and chopped it up - guess thats the done thing too.

Other than that though - intresting vids
Old 27th November 2008 , 08:18 AM
Forum Idol

Quote:
Did you watch the vids? I noticed he ripped some perc loop off some random CD for that mix he was working on and chopped it up - guess thats the done thing too.

Other than that though - intresting vids
yeah i had this video some time ago, i didnt rewatch it now but if i recall he used the cdj to time stretch the loop and recorded it in
Old 27th November 2008 , 09:03 AM
Son of 'Z'

Aye. A lot of people are usin ven's loops.

I'm not one of the ones giving in tho
EdRyan is offline Offline
Old 27th November 2008 , 09:20 AM
Forum Idol

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdRyan View Post
Aye. A lot of people are usin ven's loops.

I'm not one of the ones giving in tho
no its logic loops your using right
Old 27th November 2008 , 01:10 PM
Forum Scribe

Quote:
No time at all spent on actually mixing, EQing etc this (theres a bunch of things that would need sorting...) - its just a quick hack for illustration
Just had a listen I must say Khazul you have made your point in a most excellent way Brilliant. It is really *that* easy these days. I don't necessarily think it is wrong but there is without a doubt a fast track way to get a 'commercial' sound. Live, Project 5, Sonars Beatscape and Cyclone, Liveslice e.t.c are ideal for that kind of production approach IMO. I would say the mixing process is what will really separate one effort from another...Joe public on his IPod might not be too bothered though. Very well illustrated point Khazul.

Monarch is offline Offline
Old 27th November 2008 , 01:42 PM

loops/samples aside, I would of been all over this tune around summer time, good work!!

back to the subject, as I'm sure you are all fully aware sampling drums (and other sounds) is far from a new thing people have been doing it for years,
when I first got in to remixing and producing I had very limited drum sounds available to me, so I did exactly as stoney does, I took a load of 12"s and ripped the intro's/outro's and chopped them up!!
I think its safe to say untill vengeance came along there wasn't any sample cds that you could use samples straight off the cd without doing anything to them at all, but vengeance are so good at what they do, they make it so simple for everybody and we are all guilty of taking advantage of it,
the biggest problem is the word has spread and now everybody can make music without much talent!
Old 27th November 2008 , 02:01 PM
Furry Filter Phreak

LOL - ta

Just updated it after spending a little bit of time warping/chopping the two loops alot bit tighter.

Anyway - time to start stuffing some samples into my V-Synth and see what kind of a mess that thing can make of them
Old 27th November 2008 , 02:26 PM
Furry Filter Phreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Semi-D View Post
back to the subject, as I'm sure you are all fully aware sampling drums (and other sounds) is far from a new thing people have been doing it for years,
when I first got in to remixing and producing I had very limited drum sounds available to me, so I did exactly as stoney does, I took a load of 12"s and ripped the intro's/outro's and chopped them up!!
I dunno - I come from a world where you just dont do it - ie have respect for other people's stuff, though I'm not exactly one for having much respect for corporations on the basis they seem to have zero respect for the rest of us

The closest I generally come to is if I find something I really like, then I may spend time decontructing it to understand it - for eg a really nice vibe/goove etc as that how you learn - if I like the sounds too - then I'll spend time trying to re-create them - I can remember once spending nearly a week trying to reproduce the amen break from scratch from recording the break on my v-drum kit and hours and hours re-processing it to get that crunchy sound vintage - for my purpose I got close enough and learned alot in the process, whereas just rippng a sample wouldnt have yielded that. Under time pressure of course you dont have that luxury of course and that IMHO is where cleared samples come in even if the likelyhood of someone ever proving you nicked a perc loop of their track is very low.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Semi-D View Post
I think its safe to say untill vengeance came along there wasn't any sample cds that you could use samples straight off the cd without doing anything to them at all, but vengeance are so good at what they do, they make it so simple for everybody and we are all guilty of taking advantage of it
Manuel (guy behind vengance) has been a really good sound designer for dance music for quite a long time now - in the trance Virus/JP80xx/Novation days that was barely a track around that didnt have his sounds in it.

His only problem IMHO and this was the same with their synth patches - too much reverb (albetit a ratehr nice reverb) - it sounds great if you aint going to process or chop it in anyway at all, but if you are, then its a pain.
Last edited by Khazul; 27th November 2008 at 03:11 PM. . <