DV247 Forums - A Global Community for Music Makers

DV247 Forums - A Global Community for Music Makers (/)
-   PA Systems & Live sound (http://forums.dv247.com/pa-systems-live-sound/)
-   -   Yamaha Active PA System (http://forums.dv247.com/pa-systems-live-sound/6229-yamaha-active-pa-system.html)

bluethundersound 26th October 2010 02:56 PM

Yamaha Active PA System

Hi,

I have a small start up buisness providing PA hire and sound engineering. I currently mix and match some of my PA kit with hired stuff/ and beg and borrow!

I currently have:-

Speakers
1x Yamaha Stagepas 300 PA (2x 8" speakers with a powered mixer)
1x Yamaha MG166cx 16 channel mixer
1x Yamaha MSR800w Sub
2x Studiomaster Master/slave Monitors

Mics
2x Shure SM58
1x Shure SM57
1x Shure PG58

And a load of Misc kit and 2 crates of wires.

I have been thinking about upgrading the Stagepas to some nice Yamaha powered speakers and then putting the Stagepas into monitoring.

This is where i need advice/ feedback..

Ive seen the Yamaha MSR400 active speakers that match the sub and have a 12" woofer, but then i have seen Yamaha's new range of DSR's. I didnt know whether to spend a bit more and get the DSR215's with dual woofers.

Anyones thoughts, max crowd is probs. 400 people and to be used maybe occassionally outside. And will prob. add another MSR800 Sub soon.

Cheers :)

TrevCircleStudios 26th October 2010 05:22 PM

I don't know either of these but in general more power will never hurt for live sound.

djteknovibe 1st November 2010 08:41 AM

In my opinion if you want decent spl levels then even 2 of those Yamaha MSR800w subs won't cater for 400 people because they're only rated at giving 122db peal spl meaning in the real world you'll be lucky if you get 115db of them. You're better off saving up and buying yourself a pair of JBL PRX615M and a pair of JBL PRX618-XLF because that'll get you decent spl levels. But if you seriously wanna be able to give upto 400 people decent spl levels and be able to cover the crowd from front people to the back people then you'd need something like 2 JBL SRX725 mid/highs and 2 JBL SRX728S dual 18" subs. I know the JBL system i've mentioned is a lot of money but you said yourself that you're starting a pa hire business and you need decent gear.

The gear you've got is very low budget. You need gear to compete with other hire businesses or you dont stand a chance. The system you've got would cater for about 50 people maximum. You have to remember that being able to disperse decent spl (how loud it is) takes a high power system and also you'd need to make sure you get the compression drivers in the top cabs above people's heads because if you dont then the people at the back aren't gonna hear much sound.

The Yamaha Stagepas 300 PA will absolutely definately not cater for 400 people, no way on earth. They've got 8" drivers and only have 100 watt rms power amplifiers built in. Plus the specs say they're only capable of 112db peak, so when you take off roughly 6db to give you the continuous spl output you know that these cabs are only able to give you 106db. The bottom line is unless you spend serious money then i'm sorry to say that you've got absolutely no chance on earth of catering for anymore than about 50 people with your system. And if you try and do a 400 person gig with your system then you'll embarass yourself and people wont hire stuff off you anymore when they realise how quiet your system sounds.

I'm sorry to be blunt but i've been in the live sound game for 15 years and i've heard sooooo many systems that i can't possibly remember them all, and I believe in being honest and thats what i've been with you. You have to remember that up close a lot of systems sound good, but human bodies soak up sound like a sponge and once you start to get 100 people stood in front of a speaker system the sound further back is very much dampened by the bodies standing in front of you. Anyway if you need more help then let me know.