DV247 Forums - A Global Community for Music Makers Lowest Price Guaranteed, Free Delivery, Free 3 Year Warranty
Go Back   DV247 Forums - A Global Community for Music Makers > Music Equipment Discussion > PA Systems & Live sound
Forgot Password? Join Us!
Home Register Groups FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Go to DV247.com
New to Forums or just joined? Why not start your journey here?

PA Systems & Live sound PA speakers, mics, monitors, power amps, mixers and lighting solutions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 9th September 2009 , 07:15 PM

Default Adding passive Subs?

Hi

I`m looking for some info on behalf of my son who plays in a group.
They currently have a basic PA setup consisting of a (oldish but reliable) Carlsbro CDX 8+2 powered mixer and a pair of peavey Hisys 2 speakers.
He was looking to add a pair (or one if possible) of subs but we are not sure if this is possible or how to go about it.
His powered mixer is rated at 2 X 300W into 4 Ohms - the hisys 2 speakers are 4 ohms. He was looking to feed the output from the powered mixer into the Subs ( with built in crossovers?) and then feed the signal out of the bass bins into the Hisys 2 speakers for mid and high freqs. Does this seem OK? Also what impedance subs would we need as 4 & 8 Ohm seem to be available in most ranges.
The mixer also has a line out ( Left and Right on 1/4 jacks) would it be better to use these to feed a powered Sub and then leave the Hisys 2`s on the main output?
Any other ideas or suggestions welcome.

Cheers

Paul
paulmo101 is offline Offline
Old 10th September 2009 , 09:44 AM

You can do either, but stick with 4 ohms if your main cabs are 4 ohms.
I have a pair of Peavey Hisys subs and top cabs, both 4 ohms. The subs are passive and have an onboard crossover so I come out of the power amp, into the subs, then out of the subs & into the top cabs.
I picked up the subs for 160/pair 2nd hand. They have a little 'van wear', but they do the job. Avoid the pro 15/messenger series if you can. They're very cheap and there's a reason for that.

If I had the budget though, I would have gone for one of these. http://www.dv247.com/pa-systems-and-...bwoofer--27807
A DJ I know has one and its good, damn good, damn damn good.
Bloke From Barnet is offline Offline