DV247 Forums - A Global Community for Music Makers Lowest Price Guaranteed, Free Delivery, Free 3 Year Warranty
Old 8th November 2011 , 09:51 AM

Default What DAW?

What daw do you guys recommend for a relative beginner? Must be easy to follow
I downloaded Reaper as a trial and can't make head or tail of it. How do you get effects for example?
Any advice appreciated
whis4ey is offline Offline
Old 8th November 2011 , 10:48 AM

Reaper is a popular DAW, especially for those who are cost-conscious. There is a Reaper forum where you will find many reaper users to help answer your questions. Sorry that I cannot answer your question but I use Logic Express, not Reaper.
Lester is offline Offline
Old 8th November 2011 , 04:14 PM
Tarnce Monkey

There's a learning curve with any DAW that can range from several weeks to several months just to get a firm grip of the basics, depending on your own commitment to learning things.

Reaper is as good a place as any to start, and the support forum is very 'noob' friendly.

Youtube is an excellent source of tutorials as well.
tehlord is offline Offline
Old 8th November 2011 , 06:17 PM
Forum Poet

I think Studio One from Presonus is the easiest DAW to learn from scratch. I reckon you can nearly do it without a manual. DAWs are not intuitive despite advertising claiming they are. They are not. Studio One is closer than most to being intuitive. In two years time it'll be bloated like the rest of them but it's not at the moment. Mind you, there's a price tag if you want the full monty (recommended). The very basic doesn't support third party VSTs, which puts it alongside the chocolate kettle for usefulness.

Reaper is popular and has good support and is cheap. It's popular with people who could afford and have used some of the other bighitters, which tells you something. I'm not fond of the ever-increasing dropdown lists and it appears to be updated every hour of the day. Every time you open it there seems to be a new version available. It's so cheap (nothing until you buy a license) and a lot things in DAWs are the same in them all, so it's not a bad place to start.

Best advice is to watch videos on any DAW. There's many free ones. I prefer to purchase a walkthrough tutorial. They answer virtually everything you need to start and are usually presented in a logical order so you are not left frustrated or spending hours reading a manual and working at things that takes 30 seconds to show on a video.
Old 9th November 2011 , 06:57 AM

The easiest I found to learn was FL Studio, I was up and running within minutes, but it's incredibly powerful so can be as deep as you want to go.

The easiest I found to use was the now sadly abandoned Tracktion 3, tho' it's strength is mainly audio, the midi side is particularly weak compared to otrher sequencers imo.

Another shout for Reaper here, mainly because of the sheer vfm it offers, but it has a far steeper learning curve than either of the above. I've barely scratched the surface of what it can do tbh.

Whichever DAW you go for you'll need to invest time in learning the basics and the only way to get a feel of any of them is to try the demos.

Ian
Ian B is offline Offline
Old 9th November 2011 , 09:51 AM

I have had a look at 10 videos on the basics of Reaper. Some of the controls look similar to Audacity, and a lot are similar to a video editing software I have.
It looks like a fairly good program once you would get to grips with it
Where would I find demos to try out?
Old 9th November 2011 , 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whis4ey View Post
I have had a look at 10 videos on the basics of Reaper. Some of the controls look similar to Audacity, and a lot are similar to a video editing software I have.
It looks like a fairly good program once you would get to grips with it
Where would I find demos to try out?
Try the reaper site? at http://www.reaper.fm/

------
weaver is offline Offline
Old 14th October 2012 , 12:41 PM

I see from this thread that it is now almost a year since I downloaded the trial of Reaper
I also note with some little surprise how confused I was with the program at the beginning
I have to say that I am now mightily impressed with Reaper and with how relatively easy it was to get a basic working knowledge after my first early confusion
I bought the manual from Lulu.com early on and that was a good idea and helped clear up some issues
Nowadays I use the program daily with little or no difficulty .... when I venture into unknown territory I consult the manual or get myself over to the Reaper forums where there are invariably some very helpful people to point me in the right direction
All in all ... three cheers for Reaper ... a superb DAW, very reasonably priced and certainly well worth the licence fee
Old 14th October 2012 , 05:53 PM
Mic Check 1!

Awesome. Great to hear a good news story!