DV247 Forums - A Global Community for Music Makers Lowest Price Guaranteed, Free Delivery, Free 3 Year Warranty
Go Back   DV247 Forums - A Global Community for Music Makers > Artist & Member Forum > Off Topic
Forgot Password? Join Us!
Home Register Groups FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Go to DV247.com
New to Forums or just joined? Why not start your journey here?

Off Topic Drop in for friendly banter and lively debate

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 1st September 2008 , 05:10 PM
Costa Del Cool

Default Get on with the music making!!

This comes from another thread...and got me thinking...or depressed...or both!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mutilatedlip View Post
I'm slowly getting out of that 'I need new equipment' phase and trying to get on with the music! It's an easy trap to fall into.
Well I feel like I am in that trap at times.

My setup is basic enough but is getting there. However, I feel I am spending way too much time looking up new equipment plus trying to learn to use the software I have.

Then taking care of the baby doesn't help.

And there's the instrumental practice I should be doing but am only getting little blasts at it.

I am reasonably new to all this home recording and I have to say there is a lot to take in. I think the learning curve is REALLY steep.

I get short bits recorded but can't say I've actually finished any track except for a remix of Ian Carey's Rise recently. I have loads of short ideas recorded on my hard drive - 8-16 bar pieces mostly but others are more developed - that I have to get around to developing and finishing.

But there is SO much to learn - music, composition, technology etc etc.

I don't have the luxury of dedicating myself full time to this yet. I need a day job - and that takes time!

Does anyone else feel frustrated at times for not getting on with the music making? Or for not getting anything finished?

Is there any solution or advice that the pros on the forum can offer us meer mortals?
sphelan is offline Offline
Old 1st September 2008 , 05:31 PM
Forum Idol

im no pro so can only offer my experience and advice,

there is a very simple solution, Stick at it! i am/was in a similar situation to you. when i got into this i was starting from scratch but went into it 110% as i have always wanted to get into it but due to circumstances nothing was accessible to me at the time and when i got the chance i dove right in. any way enough about me, you should live this game. read books, forums ask people advice and don't be scared to either. enjoy what you do, dont punish yourself if you don't understand something just let it soak in and go back to it later. MOST importantly i believe, is to know when to take a break!

Parkinson's 80/20 rule! i have recently put that into practice. it roughly equates to the theory that 80% of productivity is wasted and 20% beneficial, if you can determine the wastage you can there for increase the truly beneficial time you have to valid resources.

e.g you may sit infront of the tv for 3 hrs a day, surely some of that may be a waste of time as it offers nothing beneficial so that has eaten into your productive time where you could of practised piano etc.

Time is not stopping for us and life is nearly over! use it wisely
http://twitter.com/djsureno
sureno is offline Offline
Old 2nd September 2008 , 08:32 AM
Pushing the Envelope

I'm completely with you there!

I've got a six week old daughter, a nearly three year old son, and am planning for a wedding next year.

My boxes of equipment are spread across the UK at band member's houses, etc. etc.

I'm obsessed with gear, and despite not being the guitarist in the band, am currently hooked on pedals, even though I only know about ten chords

I have written an album, a good friend has recently signed a four-album deal with Sony, another friend is touring the world doing amazingly, my college friendss band are becoming massive slowly and living the dream, and a close mate from when I was 17 is now a massive trance producer.

I just never get the time to do it, and feel that I have to delegate so much to the remaining band members, and I sometimes question the worth and how many holidays the sale of my equipment could furnish my family with!

I commute to Derby from Birmingham each day to work (I'm a copywriter so my job is creative at least!) and when I get in, it's the little ones' bedtimes, and I need to spend time with my beloved wife-to-be.

So where's the time to program the Moog?!?!?

And despite my band drawing a big fanbase and critical acclaim a few years back, would it work this time, or would the effort be best spent elsewhere????

I wake up asking myself these things and panicking from time to time.

But I always conclude the same...

...nothing makes me happier than that smell of new equipment fresh out of the box.

Eff it! Everyone needs a hobby
mutilatedlip is offline Offline
Old 2nd September 2008 , 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sphelan View Post

Does anyone else feel frustrated at times for not getting on with the music making? Or for not getting anything finished?
I know exactly what you mean. I must have about 40 unfinished tracks on Ableton. Ive physically finished about 3, 2 of which i finished when I first started getting into it. I need some guidance on final arrangement & the finer details like fills etc.

I often get sick of listening by about 3 hours & then decide that it doesnt sound that good anyway! Even though it probably sounds ok to fresh ears.

I watched a video of Matt Schwarz (house producer - deepest blue) on how he writes a track in his studio, and it was quite inspirational. He works really fast & knows exactly what he wants & how the track is going to be structured.

I think the key is to plan out eactly what your trying to achieve, work out a structure & then keep to it! I often deviate from what I was originally trying to achieve & then end up in musical limbo.

That video was on a coverdisc with future music a few months ago, it might be on youtube, but it was good viewing. Of course it helps when you have all the gear & musical knowledge!

Good luck.
Benoit is offline Offline
Old 2nd September 2008 , 03:32 PM
Pushing the Envelope

Structure is a real b@stard to nail.

You may have a great chorus, then a verse to die for, but then what about the breakdown/middle eight etc.

What do you do? Jam over it with a band, or force something in there for the sake of it?

Difficult indeed to nail structure of songs.

I'm sure that must be the part of a producer to a certain degree. Putting various pieces of good songs together from demos.
mutilatedlip is offline Offline
Old 2nd September 2008 , 03:49 PM
Spectrum Idoliser

I'm just waiting for my new laptop to arrive before I start making any more music, seeing as I'm gonna spend ages transferring all my files and installing all my programs on it. Plus, it's gonna be much much better at handling my DAW than my current computer which seems to freeze up if you try having Cakewalk and MSN open at the same time.

I do keep falling into the "I need new equipment" trap though, usually because I've spent ages trying to work out how to do something on my DAW, and eventually get to the point of giving up. Either it means looking for new samples, VSTs, or even a new DAW. Hopefully I can get songwriting in a couple of weeks.
Old 2nd September 2008 , 04:26 PM
Keeper o' the Keys!

Quote:
Originally Posted by krykos View Post
I do keep falling into the "I need new equipment" trap though, usually because I've spent ages trying to work out how to do something on my DAW, and eventually get to the point of giving up. Either it means looking for new samples, VSTs, or even a new DAW. Hopefully I can get songwriting in a couple of weeks.
Over the (far too many) years I've been making music, and after buying huge swathes of gear, I've come to the conclusion that after inspiration I need 3 things to write a song... a piano, a pen and a sheet of paper.

Once it's written.... *then* I use the huge swathes of gear...
Old 2nd September 2008 , 04:40 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Boulden View Post
Over the (far too many) years I've been making music, and after buying huge swathes of gear, I've come to the conclusion that after inspiration I need 3 things to write a song... a piano, a pen and a sheet of paper.

Excellently summed up Dave!
Old 2nd September 2008 , 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Boulden View Post

Quality advice....I remember Moby saying that he writes everything on an accoustic guitar before touching any other instruments (& sampling in his case)
Benoit is offline Offline
Old 2nd September 2008 , 06:12 PM
Costa Del Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by modz1 View Post
Excellently summed up Dave!
And that is something that struck me the other day. Here I am trying to get my head around recording techniques...but if I haven't got anything decent to record, what's the point?

I would say that a good song should stand on its own stripped down to just melody and basic harmony...an "unplugged" version, if you like. It that works, then the technology can come in to give it sonic shape (sounds good, no pun intended!).

I have been thinking I should ease up on the techy side of things and concentrate on getting something worth recording...and worth finishing.

Now where's that pen and paper?
sphelan is offline Offline
Old 3rd September 2008 , 09:01 AM

I suppose im guilty also of thinking at one stage that more gear equals better/easier music production, but I dont think it takes long before you realise that this isnt the case.

Finding the time to sit down and dedicate myself to writing can be difficult, but I feel that spending anytime wrinting anything at all is useful as something new is always learned.

As sphelen says, knowing the technical side of recording or production is pointless if the material itself just doesnt cut it
conor_j is offline Offline