DV247 Forums - A Global Community for Music Makers Lowest Price Guaranteed, Free Delivery, Free 3 Year Warranty
Go Back   DV247 Forums - A Global Community for Music Makers > Artist & Member Forum > Off Topic
Forgot Password? Join Us!
Home Register Groups FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Go to DV247.com
New to Forums or just joined? Why not start your journey here?

Off Topic Drop in for friendly banter and lively debate

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 1st September 2008 , 10:23 AM

Default Is drilling in the rain an electrocution hazard?

I do hope it is. Sure, there'd be a few screams and I'd have to put up with an ambulance siren momentarily, but after that it'd be able to start recording again.
RedDavid is offline Offline
Old 1st September 2008 , 10:57 AM
Round The Horn

Drilling in the rain forest is not eco-friendly and carries it's own hazards, most of which do not include risk of electrocution.

Drilling in the rain can make soldiers tired, wet and p***ed off, which in itself carries potential hazards not generally including but not excluding electrocution.

Drilling in the rain with a pneumatic drill should not generally be an electrocution hazard since the drill is usually operated by compressed air ( though there is an electromechanical version called a jackhammer ). Of course they might drill through a power line and cut off power to thousands of homes meaning you would not be able to get back to recording for maybe several hours, though the sound of the drill would probably stop for a while. A couple of months ago the drilling through the power line thing did happen in the area where I live and power was out for several hours.
saxman is offline Offline
Old 1st September 2008 , 12:04 PM
Mic Check 1!

Quote:
Drilling in the rain forest is not eco-friendly and carries it's own hazards, most of which do not include risk of electrocution.

Drilling in the rain can make soldiers tired, wet and p***ed off, which in itself carries potential hazards not generally including but not excluding electrocution.

Drilling in the rain with a pneumatic drill should not generally be an electrocution hazard since the drill is usually operated by compressed air ( though there is an electromechanical version called a jackhammer ). Of course they might drill through a power line and cut off power to thousands of homes meaning you would not be able to get back to recording for maybe several hours, though the sound of the drill would probably stop for a while. A couple of months ago the drilling through the power line thing did happen in the area where I live and power was out for several hours.
save in the case of the above, yes.
Old 1st September 2008 , 01:35 PM
Costa Del Cool

Where I live, I don't have to deal with drilling on the street but they is a building under construction so you can imagine the noise. Add to that the new playground they have put in the courtyard underneath our appartment (we are on the first floor!!) and the fact that all the motorbikes of the city must get a kick out of passing down our street, I am beginning to think I would be better off NOT buying a mic preamp!! If I already pick up noise off the street now, what will it be like with a preamp plugged in????
sphelan is offline Offline
Old 2nd September 2008 , 01:27 AM
Son of 'Z'

I feel your pain people.

Awhile back, I was living in summer halls at uni. I had two jobs, a really dire 9-6 at jjb sports, and then a bar job that would normally take up 3-4 evenings a week...minimum. So I'd be awake for at least 14 hours a day.

TO be honest, the building site next door was a godsend. They would start exactly at 8am without fail every morning. They were my alarm clock

But on my rare days off.. I would quite happily have gone round there with some tnt and demolished the place.. a)for waking me up b) for being so noisy until 7pm that I couldn't do any audio work or have any fun !

I wouldn't have minded, but the uni knew that this work was going on...and they had 7 other halls sites they could have put the summer stay students !
EdRyan is offline Offline
Old 2nd September 2008 , 11:29 AM

I felt kind-of bad after writing this thread, because shortly after I finished, the drilling did stop, and an ambulance then did drive up my street, turning its siren off and stopping near my house. I guess, it could all be a coincidence (I do live near Edinburgh's Western General hospital, and I do live on a quiet street at the foot of a hill by a junction), but, still. I'm sorry for wishing death on you, Mr. Drilling Man. And if its of any consolation to your family, you did a wonderful job of my neighbour's driveway.
RedDavid is offline Offline
Old 2nd September 2008 , 12:45 PM
Costa Del Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedDavid View Post
I felt kind-of bad after writing this thread, because shortly after I finished, the drilling did stop, and an ambulance then did drive up my street, turning its siren off and stopping near my house. I guess, it could all be a coincidence (I do live near Edinburgh's Western General hospital, and I do live on a quiet street at the foot of a hill by a junction), but, still. I'm sorry for wishing death on you, Mr. Drilling Man. And if its of any consolation to your family, you did a wonderful job of my neighbour's driveway.
LOL I have to admit RedDavid...It was I who sorted him out for you!! We gotta stick together you know!
sphelan is offline Offline