DV247 Forums - A Global Community for Music Makers Lowest Price Guaranteed, Free Delivery, Free 3 Year Warranty
Go Back   DV247 Forums - A Global Community for Music Makers > Artist & Member Forum > Off Topic
Forgot Password? Join Us!
Home Register Groups FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Go to DV247.com
New to Forums or just joined? Why not start your journey here?

Off Topic Drop in for friendly banter and lively debate

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 28th August 2008 , 04:25 PM
Keeper o' the Keys!

Default Future Music

After Sphelan's mention of the preamp article in the September issue of Future Music, I thought I'd pop out this afternoon and pick up a copy to have a listen to the test files on the DVD. Went into my local WHSmiths and they had everything but FM, there wasn't even a space on the shelf where it "would" have been. Asked the shop assistant and she said that WHS had started a policy of not stocking magazines that don't sell very well (even though newspapers and magazines are supplied on a sale-or-return basis) and I would be surprised if FM were in that category. I went to another newsagent down the High Street and they didn't have it either.

It wouldn't normally bother me as I'm not a fan of any Future Publishing magazine, but I was particularly intrigued by the preamp article. Anyone else noticed FM's absence in their local newsagent or was I just "unlucky" today?
Old 28th August 2008 , 04:28 PM
Forum Idol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Boulden View Post
After Sphelan's mention of the preamp article in the September issue of Future Music, I thought I'd pop out this afternoon and pick up a copy to have a listen to the test files on the DVD. Went into my local WHSmiths and they had everything but FM, there wasn't even a space on the shelf where it "would" have been. Asked the shop assistant and she said that WHS had started a policy of not stocking magazines that don't sell very well (even though newspapers and magazines are supplied on a sale-or-return basis) and I would be surprised if FM were in that category. I went to another newsagent down the High Street and they didn't have it either.

It wouldn't normally bother me as I'm not a fan of any Future Publishing magazine, but I was particularly intrigued by the preamp article. Anyone else noticed FM's absence in their local newsagent or was I just "unlucky" today?

it's your fault that WH smiths didn't stock it then

yeah local shop has it here
http://twitter.com/djsureno
sureno is offline Offline
Old 28th August 2008 , 04:32 PM
Keeper o' the Keys!

Chances are I'm not the only musician in my town, though!

Perhaps I'm just "unlucky" today then...
Old 28th August 2008 , 04:36 PM
Forum Idol

Quote:
Chances are I'm not the only musician in my town, though!

Perhaps I'm just "unlucky" today then...
lol, yeah i myself have not really liked it but to see it scattered on the shelves, have harder time finding SOS as they sell out so quick
Old 28th August 2008 , 04:40 PM
Keeper o' the Keys!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureno View Post
have harder time finding SOS as they sell out so quick
That's why I subscribe to SOS
Old 28th August 2008 , 04:47 PM
Forum Idol

lol you have all the answers today dave
iv been meaning to do that for a year now but never got round to it although im starting to think its being polluted with too many adverts and starting to really question there review policies?

oh yeah sorry for going off topic
Old 28th August 2008 , 07:12 PM
Costa Del Cool

Quote:
After Sphelan's mention of the preamp article in the September issue of Future Music...
Dave, I don't know if the English and Spanish version of the magazine have the same content or not each month.

Maybe some one who has both the version in the UK could confirm that the article is included before you go to great lengths to get it.
sphelan is offline Offline
Old 28th August 2008 , 08:12 PM

Exclamation

Because Future Publishing Ltd produce a large number of magazines, they tend to try and skim the fat as much as possible. This also means lower numbers on the production line to marginally past the number of copies a magazine is selling.

This is potentially detrimental to the magazine, because as sales go down, so do the numbers in print. Combine that with the customer's new interest in the other, suddenly more reliable magazines, and generally interest in the suffering mag has gone down in that region/store/demographic (generally because there is only one stockist in that area).

The bad news is, if WHSmith isn't stocking it in one store, what's happening among all the other stores? And, more to the point, why has it become unpopular? Is it the content? Is it the competition? Are they not including WHSmith in their 'available to buy...' statement anymore; and has that upset the stockist?

There are, of course, several attributing factors. Firstly, the format of the magazine has changed; secondly, the content has definitely lessened; and thirdly, the competition is generally much more for people who want to learn, as well as drool over new gear and learn the secrets of their idols.

I haven't bought FM in months, because I feel the content has no substance for the price anymore. Give me SOS or Music Tech any day; the two are great providers of in-depth reviews, features and lessons. To any FM fans reading this, that's my opinion, and I don't intend to impose that on anybody else!
Last edited by mrfracas; 28th August 2008 at 08:17 PM. . <
Old 28th August 2008 , 08:26 PM
Keeper o' the Keys!

Completely agree with you about FM's content... I only buy it once in a blue moon when there's something really interesting on the cover-mount DVD.

My background is newspapers, so I know how tricky it is to gauge the amount of stock to send to each branch... we created a huge computer system to work it out down to branch level (I worked for 14 years at a national newspaper, still do work in the industry) and the absolute optimum to aim for was to always have one copy left in each and every store.
Old 28th August 2008 , 08:41 PM
Costa Del Cool

I agree on the content. Articles of two pages often have long (and stupid, IMO) introductions. Then there is a conclusion. So the actual useful information is quite small.

And all these product reviews and advertising that just fill up space. Less of it, I say!!!

I would never subscribe or recommend that anyone subscribe to FM or to CM. I think there is no surer way to ensure that the quality of the material lessens even more...if they are sure of their sales for a 12 month period they can fill the magazine with whatever they like.

I do like the videos they are including lately...for me it is interesting to see producers at work in their studios. But I suppose all of these will be available on You Tube at some stage.
Old 28th August 2008 , 08:50 PM
Keeper o' the Keys!

I like to see those kind of videos too... it's such a shame that all the producers they have featured so far have been related to dance music... would love to see them feature some non-dance producers too!
Old 28th August 2008 , 09:09 PM

Quote:
I like to see those kind of videos too... it's such a shame that all the producers they have featured so far have been related to dance music... would love to see them feature some non-dance producers too!
If that's the case, stick with SOS! I don't think they're going to change their angle any time soon.
Old 28th August 2008 , 10:58 PM
Son of 'Z'

They do the special editions for particular applications though. They tend to be really handy. They have a logic one this month. I'm hoping to find that..

Printed press is generally suffereing as a result of the internet.
Because of less people buying, they have to find more support via placement and advertising. The readers pick up on this, and a cycle forms until a balance between reader numbers, costs and revenue are met. If they slip again, then it happens again...

That said, I think the mags will always have sort of place. Some of the features are excellent, and can form quite a handy reference point to come to. The web changes so much, and not everyone can be trusted because they are either unqualified/inexperienced or biased for other reasons like brand loyalty etc.

At the end of the day. I like to use my own ears, make my own decisions on tracks and products. What anyone else thinks or can show me, is just a helpful nod in the right direction.
EdRyan is offline Offline
Old 29th August 2008 , 06:20 AM
Costa Del Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrfracas View Post
If that's the case, stick with SOS! I don't think they're going to change their angle any time soon.
But SOS doesn't come with a DVD containing free software, demo software, tutorials and the videos we mentioned, does it? At least when I used to get it in the past it didn't and I don't see any mention on the SOS website now.

And yes, like Dave, I would like to see some other musical styles represented in the videos. But also, I think the the both magazines - FM and CM - are overly biased to dance music in general. I know they are aimed at electronic music but there are so many more styles that one can produce using computers than just dance music.

As Ed says, there is a lot of competition from the internet. But we have to be very careful with the information we find there. Often we don't know anything about the person who has put the info there. Can we trust the source? I think magazines should take all this in to consideration and give the public something different, something better and more reliable. Instead, I see articles that fill two and three pages and the actual useful content is minimal, like I said before.

I still stick to my main idea though that if I only find one useful idea or technique after having paid 5.95 euros for a magazine, then for me it has been a worthwhile purchase. After a couple of months, I flick through the mag again, rip out the useful pages and dump the rest. Otherwise, I would need to build on a library in the apartment!!
Old 29th August 2008 , 06:53 AM
Costa Del Cool

I've just gone and taken out a 3-month online subscription to SOS...let's see how I like it before I committ to a longer period.

Between FM, CM, SOS, Music Tech, TapeOp (which I am still waiting for!), books I have bought, and THIS FORUM, I think I have more than enough distraction. At this rate, I don't know if I'll get time to make any music!! LOL