DV247 Forums - A Global Community for Music Makers Lowest Price Guaranteed, Free Delivery, Free 3 Year Warranty
Go Back   DV247 Forums - A Global Community for Music Makers > Artist & Member Forum > Off Topic
Forgot Password? Join Us!
Home Register Groups FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Go to DV247.com
New to Forums or just joined? Why not start your journey here?

Off Topic Drop in for friendly banter and lively debate

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 23rd August 2008 , 10:03 AM

Smile Labyrinth 20th Anniversary 2 disc region 2 DVD

Well, well my, my, my looks like I needn’t hath to bother with the superbit DVD now out this October 1st is a 20th Anniversary two disc perfect DVD edition of the Labyrinth.

DVD special features
Disc One: Main Feature. Commentary With Brian Froud.

Six-track Dolby stereo AKA 5.1

Disc Two: 'Inside The Labyrinth'- Making Of Documentary. 'Kingdom Of Characters' Featurette. 'The Quest For Goblin City' Featurette. Behind The Scenes Photo Gallery. Cast And Character Photo Gallery. Concept Art Photo Gallery. Storyboards. Vintage Posters.
Old 23rd August 2008 , 04:44 PM
Round The Horn

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBL4645 View Post
Six-track Dolby stereo AKA 5.1
Sorry to be pedantic but 6 track stereo is not 5.1 surround sound.

6 channel stereo would be a stereo track fed in to 6 speakers. The front left speaker would carry exactly the same as the rear left speaker. The front right speaker would carry exactly the same as the rear right speaker. The centre speaker would simply be a 50/50 mix of left and right.

The film was produced in 1986 and pre-dates 5.1 surround sound. It is possible to remix a dolby stereo soundtrack so that some sound effects get placed in the rear speakers. If the soundtrack has not been remixed then you will have dolby stereo and even though it may come through 6 speakers it will not be 5.1 sound.
In fact I believe the DVD does feature Dobly Digital 5.1, but it really will not sound like 5.1 unless it has been carefully remixed for all speakers.
saxman is offline Offline
Old 24th August 2008 , 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBL4645 View Post
DVD special features
Disc One: Main Feature. Commentary With Brian Froud.

Disc Two: 'Inside The Labyrinth'- Making Of Documentary. 'Kingdom Of Characters' Featurette. 'The Quest For Goblin City' Featurette. Behind The Scenes Photo Gallery. Cast And Character Photo Gallery. Concept Art Photo Gallery. Storyboards. Vintage Posters.
Doesn't sound like much more than the first collector's DVD. Just two more featurettes and an excuse to reinvent the product so that fans think they're getting plenty more.

I can't say it's a bad thing though; I love Labyrinth, and all the work that went into it. But it's a film born long before the DVD was conceived.

Now we have DVDs - which provide us with a swift, non-linear package of media - classic film and TV publishers are trying to get their hands on as much archive material as possible, which they can digitise to accompany their re-hashed 'anniversary' (or whatever) version of something. I just don't think that, this time around, the update is worth it.

Maybe if they put together a wicked boxset with Terry Jones's script and Brian Froud's artwork for the film, all in lovely books, I might be interested.
Last edited by mrfracas; 24th August 2008 at 09:49 AM. . Reason: Sorry, not Terry Giliam, Terry Jones! <
Old 26th August 2008 , 01:20 PM

Quote from 70mm Blow Up List (1986)

Labyrinth J-D-C June 27 (USA) 6-Track Dolby Stereo TriStar US 70mm release unconfirmed. Title is listed in the book “Wide Screen Movies.” According to Lucasfilm, no 70mm prints were struck. 70mm presentation advertised in Dallas (at a theatre believed to be equipped for 35mm-only!).

70mm Blow Up List 1986 - by in70mm.com

That’s why its called Dolby SR-D its backward capability allows for back-up in the unlikely event the digital track on the side the perforated sprocket holes to switch-over to twin-track 4:2:4 optical Dolby stereo SR type.

Or if this was 70mm six-track Dolby stereo the same principles except the layout of the sound channels was slightly different with 70mm prints since the early Todd-AO format.

5 screen channels spreading sound over the huge widescreen canvas. Left, Left-Centre, Centre, Right-Centre, Right, single monaural surround too surround the audience with ambient effects.

Though the 1970’s the configuration of those channels was to replace Left-centre and right-centre with what Dolby called the “Boom Channel” or “Baby Boom” for low frequency effects.

Left, Baby Boom, Centre, Baby Boom, Right, single monaural surround.

Star Wars and Close Encounters (1977) where among the first to employ this new sound technique.

A year later Superman The Movie soared into cinemas with an even new process called split-surround or stereo surrounds and has been virtually unchanged since (1978) hence Dolby 5.1 or and that term was even mentioned until (Tomlinson Holman) said it out loud at electronics convention, sometime around late 1980’s?

So the term since I like screwing with peoples heads six-track Dolby stereo in fact = 5.1 love or hate I don’t really care.

SDDS8 brings part of the 70mm full spectrum sound back into swing, thou it’s been out now for 17 years now, (1993). This employs five-screen with totally discrete sound information, plus stereo surrounds and LFE.1, hence 7.1 something poor ole Bluray can’t do since Sony holds the rights to this and will never release SDDS8 for home cinema, its strictly for professional cinemas only!

Now going back to the topic and hate those damn chewy sweats don’t you?

I was going to buy the Superbit and HMV had and then it was gone and there was a conventional Dolby stereo 4:2:4 I don’t think that DVD had many extras. the six-track, pardon me 5.1, six-track Dolby stereo would be good enough extras for me.

One thing that’s not clear here, is does it have stereo surrounds or monaural surrounds doesn’t really bother at all, since most films leading up to around early 1990’s with CDS cinema digital sound the worlds first true digital six channel format, that was short-lived due to no backward capability!

So pretty much from 1992 most new film realises had (stereo surrounds) thou not all cinemas had the first generation Dolby DA10 which was soon to be replaced with the Dolby DA20 for quick installation.

I’ve got a good pair of ears thou I suffer from “tinnitus” and have since from early age. I have good listening ability when it comes to films where it has reference, and music doesn’t, because there are no visual images to associate with.

Hmmm, ever heard a 70mm film where part of the magnetic track has worn or flaked or worse all of the six-tracks gone with a total silence, no? well I have on only two films, Star Trek IV The Voyage Home (1986) at CIC Empire Leicester Square on Sunday (October 8th 1989) this would have been around the point the crew makes it back to Earth, only to be demobilized and heading nose down towards the golden gate bridge, it only lasted for 15 seconds and that the high risk with 70mm prints!

Batman (1989) I saw 70mm print of this at my local cinema late 1990’s? The scene with Vikki Vale and Bruce Wayne in the “Batcave” had brief moment where the HF on the centre was lost and only the LF left and right and surrounds where active thou to be honest the surrounds where low level at that point.

The muffled dialogue was a good example of none dialogue intelligibility because its like having the finger on the mute button for the HF on active crossover with the LF crossed-off at 500Hz -24db down and all you can hear or make out is muffled dialogue tone.