DV247 Forums - A Global Community for Music Makers Lowest Price Guaranteed, Free Delivery, Free 3 Year Warranty
Go Back   DV247 Forums - A Global Community for Music Makers > Artist & Member Forum > Off Topic
Forgot Password? Join Us!
Home Register Groups FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Go to DV247.com
New to Forums or just joined? Why not start your journey here?

Off Topic Drop in for friendly banter and lively debate

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 3rd April 2012 , 01:06 PM
Uber Member

Default If any of the admins are on

Could you please get the synergy guys to e mail me? I have sent an e mail to them but still waiting for reply. I keep getting a warning of imminent hard drive failure (my system drive). I have backed everything up but need them to e mail me to discuss next step. I am going into hospital with my partner tomorrow to have a baby so if they could contact me asap, i'd be really greatful!
Piano is offline Offline
Old 3rd April 2012 , 01:26 PM
Tarnce Monkey

Not good service really

And good luck tomorrow!
tehlord is offline Offline
Old 3rd April 2012 , 01:48 PM
Uber Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tehlord View Post
Not good service really

And good luck tomorrow!
To be fair, they are usually quite quick but I'm really desperate with this one. Keep getting a warning from windows that my HD is going to die at any time. Have no idea why. Everything backed up. Really hope the fact that i have taken a snap shot of the Hard Drive using acronis will mean that setting back up will be easy and that there will be no having to re-install everything. I feel stressed just thinking about it!

Oh and thanks btw!
Piano is offline Offline
Old 3rd April 2012 , 02:14 PM
Round The Horn

First, good luck tomorrow!

Second, hard disk sentinel is a very useful piece of software that will tell you exactly the state of health of your hard disks.

There is a free trial download. I have been running the free trial for months and it is still running with just one suggestion at boot up to register the software. I had a system paging file on one disk and when my XP crashed hard disk sentinel made it clear where the error was. The disk with the paging file was 26% healthy. Hard disk sentinel can also show you the temperature of each of your disks in the system tray with small icons - giving you one more thing to get paranoid about when your PC is working hard

http://www.hdsentinel.com/
saxman is offline Offline
Old 3rd April 2012 , 03:18 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piano View Post
Could you please get the synergy guys to e mail me?
Hi Piano,

I've let the Synergy Team know, they have tried to contact you this afternoon.

Let me know via PM if you still can't get in contact with them.

Thanks

Also, good luck tomorrow.
chrisa is offline Offline
Old 3rd April 2012 , 03:33 PM
Uber Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by saxman View Post
First, good luck tomorrow!

Second, hard disk sentinel is a very useful piece of software that will tell you exactly the state of health of your hard disks.

There is a free trial download. I have been running the free trial for months and it is still running with just one suggestion at boot up to register the software. I had a system paging file on one disk and when my XP crashed hard disk sentinel made it clear where the error was. The disk with the paging file was 26% healthy. Hard disk sentinel can also show you the temperature of each of your disks in the system tray with small icons - giving you one more thing to get paranoid about when your PC is working hard

http://www.hdsentinel.com/
I have a system health check built into windows 7. It's called SMART or something like that. I ran it and it showed that the disk is indeed showing a fault somewhere. Every half hour or so, i get a message telling me to back everything up as the hard drive failing is imminent.

Everything is backed up using acronis. I was wondering if it was maybe possible for me to move the snapshot of my C drive over to another internal hard drive that i have and perhaps operate the computer from that drive temporarily.. I don't know if that can be done though and I'm scared to try incase i have a disaster.

Does tha fact that i have had acronis take a snapshot of my system drive mean that, when i re-install a new drive (if that's what i'll need to do) that i wont have to re-install everything or set new data paths and all that hassle?
Piano is offline Offline
Old 3rd April 2012 , 04:34 PM
Round The Horn

Quote:
I have a system health check built into windows 7. It's called SMART or something like that. I ran it and it showed that the disk is indeed showing a fault somewhere. Every half hour or so, i get a message telling me to back everything up as the hard drive failing is imminent.

Everything is backed up using acronis. I was wondering if it was maybe possible for me to move the snapshot of my C drive over to another internal hard drive that i have and perhaps operate the computer from that drive temporarily.. I don't know if that can be done though and I'm scared to try incase i have a disaster.

Does tha fact that i have had acronis take a snapshot of my system drive mean that, when i re-install a new drive (if that's what i'll need to do) that i wont have to re-install everything or set new data paths and all that hassle?
Most hard disks now have SMART technology built in, meaning they give a report about their performance and state of health to software that can read the data. This means the SMART reader built in to Win7 is telling you the same stuff I get from Hard Disk Sentinel.

A replacement drive will probably be what you need to do. I see no reason why Acronis will not be able to restore your complete C drive in a functioning form to a replacement drive.

Your idea of restoring to a temporary drive should also be possible but a bit more tricky. In the Acronis user guide I see reference to such a thing under heading 4.5 Recovering a disk backup to a different disk under rescue media
Old 3rd April 2012 , 04:54 PM
Uber Member

Well, i have still had no word from Synergy. Disappointing because i made it clear i really needed them today!

Anyway, i have everything backed up using Acronis. I also have a boot CD for acronis ready for when this HDD finally goes.

All i need to know now is if i am right in thinking the process is this...

Take out failing HDD (Which is my the HD Winows is on)

Start up computer but choose (boot from CD) (also will it even start up to that point without the HD that windows is on being present?)

Enter acronis boot up CD,

Find the backed up data on my other hard drive (which is where it is saved)

Select it to be written to the new hard drive.

Problem solved? Have i missed anything?
Piano is offline Offline
Old 3rd April 2012 , 05:04 PM
Round The Horn

Quote:
Have i missed anything?
I hope not but I have only ever used Acronis to make a clone of my C drive while my C drive is healthy and working.

Why not send off an email to Acronis summarising what you plan to do and ask them if they have any pointers. I have found that they reply quite quickly so they might even beat Synergy's response. It would be nice to have Acronis confirm the steps you should take and I am sure they will be pleased to do so.
Old 3rd April 2012 , 05:13 PM
Uber Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by saxman View Post
I hope not but I have only ever used Acronis to make a clone of my C drive while my C drive is healthy and working.

Why not send off an email to Acronis summarising what you plan to do and ask them if they have any pointers. I have found that they reply quite quickly so they might even beat Synergy's response. It would be nice to have Acronis confirm the steps you should take and I am sure they will be pleased to do so.
Yeah, i might just do that. The acronis i have wont allow me to make a clone, need to upgrade to get that feature. I definitely have everything backed up though. Just wish Synergy would get in touch to tell me they will send me a new 500G hard drive. Just hope they don't start asking me to send the broken one and then have to wait for them to receive that before they send out a new one. Could really do without that hassle. I am still under warranty so it should be a case of getting a new hard drive from them and that's it.

I have never recovered a PC in this way before and obviously because i am dealing with all my recorded music, I'm really hoping i have followed all the steps so far. I looked up online and i think i have.

The only step I am not 100% sure of is when i have booted up using the acronis boot up CD and selected the back up data, then is it really is just a case of writing it to the new HD and how easy is that done. It seems like it should be straightforward. Knowing my luck it will be a complete bloody nightmare. Given that i have a busy day ahead of me tomorrow, i can see it being after easter before i get a new hard drive.
Piano is offline Offline
Old 3rd April 2012 , 06:01 PM
Uber Member

One other question. I have been looking up hard drives in case i just end up buying my own. Does the size of cache that is has have much bearing on using the PC for music?

What does a bigger sized cache offer me and what should be the size of cache i want?

Thanks.
Piano is offline Offline
Old 3rd April 2012 , 10:06 PM
Round The Horn

Quote:
One other question. I have been looking up hard drives in case i just end up buying my own. Does the size of cache that is has have much bearing on using the PC for music?

What does a bigger sized cache offer me and what should be the size of cache i want?

Thanks.
I would say yes the size of cache on the drive is important. Bigger is better. rpm of the disk is also important. For example the Seagate Barracuda is available at 7200rpm and 64Mb cache. That is much better than a standard drive which could typically be 5400rpm and something like 8 or 16Mb cache.
Having said that, faster rpm drives tend to use more power and produce more noise but drives such as the Western Digital 2TB 3.5" SATA-III 6GB/s Caviar Green Hard Drive - 64MB Cache - WD20EARX have very good transfer speed with large cache and they boast low power and quiet operation. rpm for the WD20EARX is quoted as "IntelliPower" which is WD marketing speak for "the actual rpm is not important if the data transfer is high".
Old 4th April 2012 , 06:19 AM
Uber Member

Thanks saxman.

Well Synergy finally got in contact but I'm really not happy.

They want me to send them down the whole bloody desktop to have a look at it for me. All i need is a bloody new Hard Drive! The last thing i need right now is to have to unplug everything pack up the entire PC, then I'd have to take it to work, have it picked up from there, have it then re-delivered to work, and then have to take it home from there. ffs All for something i can do myself.

I may be cynical but it seems like this is so you just end up saying, to hell with it, I'll do it myself.

I have music guard insurance with no excess and my PC is insured. Worth a try? The only thing is, I don't want to cause my premium to go up for the sake of a 60 quid hard drive. I really only took the insurance incase i have a disaster or something pretty expensive breaks.

I can see me just replacing the damn thing myself.
Piano is offline Offline
Old 4th April 2012 , 07:23 AM
Mic Check 1!

Quote:
but I'm really not happy.
Which one are you then? Grumpy? (in about a week's time you'll be Sleepy).

You are very likely to have an excess on your insurance which exceeds 60 (I think mine is like 250 excess). Either send it back to Synergy or void the warranty, buy a hard drive and do it yourself...
Old 4th April 2012 , 09:00 AM

Default Synergy

Good morning Piano.

We had responded to your original email yesterday at 14:26. Since then, we have recieved your second email and replied to that accordingly this morning.

Please check your emails so we can continue your warranty support and resolve your problem as soon as possible.

If you would like us to give you a call, please leave a contact phone number for us in an email.

Thanks for your help.

Synergy
Synergy Audio Computers is offline Offline