DV247 Forums - A Global Community for Music Makers Lowest Price Guaranteed, Free Delivery, Free 3 Year Warranty
Go Back   DV247 Forums - A Global Community for Music Makers > Artist & Member Forum > Off Topic
Forgot Password? Join Us!
Home Register Groups FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Go to DV247.com
New to Forums or just joined? Why not start your journey here?

Off Topic Drop in for friendly banter and lively debate

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 6th July 2010 , 05:58 AM

Once the coalition ends/collapses, how can Clegg go back to leading a party who's rank and file members he betrayed so badly? There's no way on earth he can pretend he didn't willingly agree to the cuts then pick up the pieces of his pre election views.

My forecast is that the handful of L/D's in cabinet will prove to have killed their party, which will result in a split with some joining with the Tories and others Labour. Either way, the L/D *brand* is now tarnished beyond repair, a scenario I can't believe they didn't consider possible before signing up to the cuts, and if they did, they put personal interest, ie a seat in govt, before party and country imo.

What really gets me is the price for Lib Dem support being electoral reform, oh they've got that, but AV is not even a poor 3rd prize compared to what they wanted. Most likely very few people will give a f#ck about the referendum, enough to actually vote anyway, and the date chosen beggars belief. Cameron must be secretly laughing his cock off at Cleggs ineptitude over this.
Ian B is offline Offline
Old 6th July 2010 , 10:22 AM
Furry Filter Phreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by waxxy View Post
the only way too stop it is too have zero tolerance and start sending them to jail..if i had a gun youd expect to goto jail but some dont even get that anymore you just get a fine now if caught with one.
A week or so ago some damn chav thought it would be funny to scare the **** out of my wife with his car. She was just outside the garden picking up cuttings from the hedge off the pavement and this chav was driving at 60/70 plus steered the car towards her and slammed on the breaks - it only *just* stopped in time to avoid hitting the fence - had she not heard it and moved, chances are she would never walk again at best (previous back injury means such an impact would cripple her for life).

All the cops did was to have a chat with him and check his documents - that was it - no caution, no nothing despite there being a huge long skid mark on the road that the traffic unit could easily have used to proove he was driving at very high speed for a 30 zone (and therefore banned him at least). Too expensive to involve the one traffic unit in the area I was told.

His excuse? Avoiding a non-existant cat - which is also classified as dangerous driving.

These days, TBH I am actually starting to envy something American (and most people know I hate America and all it brings with it) - gun laws - the right to waste the ******* there and then and claim self defence.
Last edited by Khazul; 6th July 2010 at 10:25 AM. . <
Old 7th July 2010 , 04:16 PM

Jeeezus wept, how long have this shower of sh#te been in power?

They've already *lost* David Laws for being a thief, liar and a hypocrite before he'd even got comfortable behind his desk, now we have a education secretary in Michael Gove who was forced to apologise to Ed Balls in the commons, who has followed that up by proving himself neither literate or numerate by misleading parliament over the new school build/renovation cutbacks, leading to a written apology. He hasn't even got the guts to stand there and deliver it personally.

This is the sort of thing that would have had Cameron, et al, demanding a resignation if a Labour minister had been responsible. I must admit to a bias here, I loathe Gove more than the rest of the Tories combined, I hate him, especially his Thunderbird way of speaking, ie only his bottom lip moves when he does.
Ian B is offline Offline
Last edited by Ian B; 7th July 2010 at 05:34 PM. . <
Old 8th July 2010 , 05:32 AM

I take it back, Gove apologised to the house in person (probably shamed into doing it tho') and what a shambling, inept performance. The Labour MP's gave him a pretty rough ride, tho' it should have been worse imo, but the fact that he readily admitted it was his fault alone as he should have double checked the figures given to him, it looks like he'll get away with issuing this apology when a similar *mistake* would have almost certainly brought down a Labour minister.
Ian B is offline Offline
Old 13th July 2010 , 09:43 PM
Uber Member

Well the good ol' Tory government really starting to turn the screw up here. Not only do we have to contend with what we have been discussing so far, it appears almost all of our police forces have had to freeze recruitment up here due to cuts. May be the same down south (i'm not sure), but it was the south who voted them after all so there could be no one else to blame. We, on the other hand, have to take the shafting from a government none of us wanted. As one Police chief said on the news "When you have to visit someone to inform them that their loved one has been killed in a disturbance outside of a bar and there were no officers available to attend, how do you put a price on that?"

Watch this space, this is just the beginning.........
Piano is offline Offline
Old 14th July 2010 , 05:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piano View Post
Well the good ol' Tory government really starting to turn the screw up here. Not only do we have to contend with what we have been discussing so far, it appears almost all of our police forces have had to freeze recruitment up here due to cuts. May be the same down south (i'm not sure), but it was the south who voted them after all so there could be no one else to blame. We, on the other hand, have to take the shafting from a government none of us wanted. As one Police chief said on the news "When you have to visit someone to inform them that their loved one has been killed in a disturbance outside of a bar and there were no officers available to attend, how do you put a price on that?"

Watch this space, this is just the beginning.........
[semi serious mode] Don't worry, the money for more police will magically appear should (or rather when) they be needed. As for applicants, the jobless/sick will most likely be *offered* the chance of work as a part time copper. If they're fit enough to swing a truncheon that's all that will be required of them.
Ian B is offline Offline
Old 14th July 2010 , 05:31 PM

There was a Tory backbencher in parliament today calling for more *specials*, so my tongue in cheek post above may have been truer than I thought

I reckon there'll be need for them outside GP's surgeries after doctors are forced to tell patients there is treatment available for them, but they've spent their *allowance* so can't permit it.
Ian B is offline Offline
Old 4th August 2010 , 07:46 AM

As much as I detest they direction the coalition is heading, I've gotta admit they're living up to their radical policies promise...........that most of these policies are things even Thatcher with a permanent raging tootache wouldn't have been vindictive enough to even consider, let alone implement, is another thing altogether.

No more council houses for life, says David Cameron

I can just about see the logic in that, but how the hell are they going to implement it?

“There is a question mark about whether, in future, should we be asking, actually, when you are given a council home, is it for fixed period, because maybe in five or 10 years you will be doing a different job and be better paid and you won’t need that home, you will be able to go into the private sector.”

Where are these different, better paid jobs going to come from, and who, without all but spying on them/their bank accounts, is going to check that a tenant can *afford* to go into said private sector, not to mention the lack of affordable houses being built. Will there be a income threshold where if you go so much as 'x'% over it a tenant is in danger of being evicted by the council as they can afford to buy in the private sector? If council tenants can afford to buy a house, surely it makes sense for them to buy the house they occupy, which is almost certainly close to their place of work and said work more likely to be long term.

Of course doing that throws the ball back into the govts court in that it's down to them to provide the right conditions for new affordable homes to be built, but that won't happen.

How far are they going to go with this potentially lunatic idea? I can see a scenario where a unemployed tenant is found work at the other side of the country and council housing is available nearby, so they'll be obliged to move if they want to keep a roof over their heads.

Like the vast majority of the coalitions policies, they sound plausible on paper but in reality are nothing short of fantasy with little to no thought/understanding of how they'll actually affect people.
Ian B is offline Offline