DV247 Forums - A Global Community for Music Makers Lowest Price Guaranteed, Free Delivery, Free 3 Year Warranty
Go Back   DV247 Forums - A Global Community for Music Makers > Artist & Member Forum > Off Topic
Forgot Password? Join Us!
Home Register Groups FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Go to DV247.com
New to Forums or just joined? Why not start your journey here?

Off Topic Drop in for friendly banter and lively debate

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 19th December 2009 , 04:30 PM
Son of 'Z'

Default An Ebay question. What happens if a seller tries to cancel?

Wonder if an ebay users here can help me out.

I've recently won an auction on ebay. The seller contacted me today, saying they wish to cancel the transaction on the following grounds:

1) The weather will make it difficult for me to collect them.
2) He's been offered 150 outside of ebay (instead of the 68 I won it for)

So smokes & mirrors for one to try and reason with me, 2 is the cold hard truth. He was offered more after the auction closed.

Now to make it more interesting, the item had a fault. Which after I won I ordered a replacement part. Since when I checked it was the last 1 they had in stock and its xmas, I didn't want to wait and chance. It could be awhile before they got any more.

Because I've already bought the part (which was a tenner), I've declined his request to cancel the sale.

So, what happens next?
EdRyan is offline Offline
Old 19th December 2009 , 04:40 PM
Round The Horn

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdRyan View Post
So, what happens next?
It has never happened to me but it seems that if the buyer refuses to accept the cancellation this forces the seller to open a "Cancel Transaction Process" in the Ebay resolution centre.

http://pages.ebay.co.uk/help/sell/ca...n-process.html

This will start a dialogue between you and the buyer through the Ebay system and tracks the case for you.
Assuming the seller does start this process it is important that you respond through that system otherwise the seller automatically wins the right to cancel.

My guess would be that you have a good case to say the seller has no right to cancel. So let them start the process and stand your ground. Good luck.
saxman is offline Offline
Old 19th December 2009 , 05:42 PM
Forum Idol

not being funny but he will just get bad credit on ebay i would imagine, if he's been offered more i think he would swallow the bad credit in order to get more money, its not like ebay can force him to sell, keep us posted though
http://twitter.com/djsureno
sureno is offline Offline
Old 19th December 2009 , 06:04 PM
Sound Guru

Remember, only buyers can leave neg feedback now... so you've got that to hang over him, at least. He can't neg you in retaliation.
Old 20th December 2009 , 03:30 AM
Son of 'Z'

What gets me is that when you are buying an item via ebay, they remind/state to you that you are entering a legally binding contract if you are successful. Surely this works in reverse from the sellers end. If you are too tight to pay a listing reserve fee, then you are at the market's mercy. I'm starting to rant, aren't I ?

As far as I can see, this is what will happen:

He'll be made to pay the final fees of around 7.20, since I didn't agree to cancel. This is amusing in a bitter way. He asked for cash on collection to avoid Paypal fees. Well, now He'll have to pay Paypal anywayyy.

He has broken 2 big seller rules. Asking for cash/alternate payment to get around Paypal, and his reasons for not selling are below their seller performance expectations.

That leaves me with a part I can't use. I doubt losing his paypal or getting neg feedback will change his mind. So I will ask him to buy the part off me at cost with P&P. Then I'll report him to ebay. The fees are automatic, but I have to report him and the item to get them to take action against him.
Old 20th December 2009 , 11:04 AM

You've got to give the fella credit for contacting you. In most cases the person would have just refunded your payment and stopped all contact

If you open a disputement in the resolution case, all that'll happen is eBay will cancel the payment, refund your fee's and the guy will get a warning. He won't have to pay anything.

I reckon your best bet, if he won't commit to selling it to you on good grounds will be to get him to pay for the part you've ordered as you say. eBay won't do much. A resolution takes 28 days to have an agreed outcome, and if it then goes to Paypal you've got another 30 days on top of that.

Unfortunately, the legally binding contract is like eBays own little eContract. You don't have the same amount of power, if you were to take this to a police station/small claims court you'd get laughed at.

Good luck with it man, give him a buzz and see what you can do.
Old 20th December 2009 , 11:45 AM
Son of 'Z'

Cheers Tif. It is irritating. I think ebay should change their policy so that non-sellers (and buyers) are shot by contracted hitmen.

Old 20th December 2009 , 12:16 PM

You can dispute it but when push comes to shove, he's holding the item and can refund you; all you have to threaten then is a neg.
Hides-His-Eyes is offline Offline