DV247 Forums - A Global Community for Music Makers Lowest Price Guaranteed, Free Delivery, Free 3 Year Warranty
Go Back   DV247 Forums - A Global Community for Music Makers > Artist & Member Forum > Off Topic
Forgot Password? Join Us!
Home Register Groups FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Go to DV247.com
New to Forums or just joined? Why not start your journey here?

Off Topic Drop in for friendly banter and lively debate

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 22nd August 2009 , 12:12 PM

Default DV Forums 1st 'Blind' Track

I did this quite a bit at Uni and found it to be pretty interesting to see how peoples creative minds think, aswell as it being helpful for learning techniques.

The idea is this;

Someone starts with 1 instrument track, could be some guitar strums, beats, bass - whatever. Do whatever you think sounds good to send to the next person on the list. Then, that person adds the next line and sends it to the next, and so on until you either go through the whole list of people wanting to join, or the song sounds like it's finished.

So, anyone up for it?

Just for a bit of fun of course, but i don't think we'd have any problems bashing out a few chart hits
Old 22nd August 2009 , 02:48 PM
Forum Idol

always up for stuff like this, we should all have a time limit to how long we keep hold of the track before we pass it on or i can see it fading away
http://twitter.com/djsureno
sureno is offline Offline
Old 22nd August 2009 , 04:54 PM
Mic Check 1!

Sorry to be boring. We need to keep a handle on who inputs to it so any proceeds (in the event it sells) can be split or alternatively we can ensure we get everyones agreement on what happens to proceeds (be that a charity donation or WHY). It should be simple enough to knock a collaboration agreement together if people are up for that.

Another boring point. How will we transfer the files? Format? - I suggest all files are sent as audio wavs all recorded from 0 so they can be imported to any multitrack. They can be sent from person to person using 'you sendit'. I'll volunteer to have a vocal put down on the final track and mix it down. I can probably twist the arm of an ME to master it for free. Maybe we can even get modz to do a remix on it...
Old 22nd August 2009 , 08:23 PM

I'd be up for getting involved in this - can do some drums if needed???

And as Trev mentioned - I think all proceeds should go towards a big night out for the DV forum members!
Old 22nd August 2009 , 10:26 PM
Uber Member

I think this is a class idea. I'm nowhere near confident enough to contribute but the idea is marvellous. I think it should be posted up at regular intervals-maybe not every time its added to, maybe something like every 3 days or something-but at least so people can follow it.
Old 23rd August 2009 , 10:37 AM
Keeper o' the Keys!

Depending upon the kind of track it turns out to be, I may be able to add some keys...
Old 23rd August 2009 , 11:30 AM

Glad there's a few peeps up for the idea

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureno View Post
we should all have a time limit to how long we keep hold of the track before we pass it on or i can see it fading away
Definitely. Although hopefully people will do their parts as soon as they receive the track. The project is only for fun of course, but commitment is compulsory

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrevCircleStudios
How will we transfer the files? Format? - I suggest all files are sent as audio wavs all recorded from 0 so they can be imported to any multitrack. They can be sent from person to person using 'you sendit'. I'll volunteer to have a vocal put down on the final track and mix it down. I can probably twist the arm of an ME to master it for free. Maybe we can even get modz to do a remix on it...
I'm liking the ideas here!

.Wavs > Yousendit sound like the best idea. Additionally we can get a new Soundcloud account and keep uploading the track as it goes along. Then people can keep track of how it progresses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilty
I think this is a class idea. I'm nowhere near confident enough to contribute but the idea is marvellous.
It all boils down to a bit of fun. It'd be cool if you could contribute, even if it's just small - doesn't have to be a professionally recorded piece (Trev can sort the hiss & pops when he mixes it at the end ). It's a good chance to learn from some of the experienced guys on here so well worth it.

So, so far we have:

Tifstorey
Sureno
Trev
Maccy
Dave
Wilty [?]

Anymore for anymore?
Old 26th August 2009 , 09:48 AM
Administrator

Yep, count me in too.. as suggested above, once the track is finished, I'll take the 'parts' and do a Modz1 remix..
Old 28th August 2009 , 08:03 AM

So what's happening with this - are we doing a cover or making something up from scratch? I'll be happy to put together a drum track later tonight!
Old 28th August 2009 , 10:04 AM
Hell-Rider

I'm up for it, gonna have to add my part before 20th of sept tho as i have to de-rig so the new tiles can do on the roof and new skylights go iin
JAYDMF is offline Offline
Old 28th August 2009 , 10:43 AM
Furry Filter Phreak

Count me in - keys/synths/drums/perc and general wierdness

BTW - do we want to agree on a genre/tempo/key/time sig etc to start with, or just see where it takes us from however the early parts inspire us?

I naturally sugggest something that is 4/4 and at least re-mixable to around 126-136 - ie it could stand being re-pitched and/or time stetched to that kind of tempo afterwards if it wasnt there already

As an after once all done, we should use the results as a basis for a contributors remix comp
Last edited by Khazul; 28th August 2009 at 11:40 AM. . <
Old 28th August 2009 , 11:24 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maccy View Post
So what's happening with this - are we doing a cover or making something up from scratch? I'll be happy to put together a drum track later tonight!
I reckon someone should clearly state an intention to do a 'part (whether the start, or subsequent sections), commit to that whilst everyone else sits back..

Once done the audio file is bounced at the song's start tempo and uploaded.

The next participant 'claims' the next stage, again, everyone else sitting back, then the above is repeated except that there will be 2 audio tracks.. and so to '3' etc etc..

The important thing is that anyone committing to the 'next part' should execute, then re-distribute the individual files for the next person to take the baton..

Agreed?
Old 28th August 2009 , 11:33 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrevCircleStudios View Post
edit
Another boring point. How will we transfer the files? Format? - I suggest all files are sent as audio wavs all recorded from 0 so they can be imported to any multitrack.
I agree with Trev ..let's keep 'em as .wavs
Old 28th August 2009 , 11:36 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrevCircleStudios View Post
Sorry to be boring. We need to keep a handle on who inputs to it so any proceeds (in the event it sells) can be split or alternatively we can ensure we get everyones agreement on what happens to proceeds (be that a charity donation or WHY). It should be simple enough to knock a collaboration agreement together if people are up for that.
Ok, I'll draw up a simple 'heads of agreement' document.. anyone participating will have to agree to its terms (sorry to be blunt but it's best for all involved to be clear as day on this).

One thing I'd like to suggest though before I write the HOA is that we commit (if) any resulting income, to a charity of mutual choosing by participants.. Let's do some good for our fellow man here peeps?!
Old 28th August 2009 , 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khazul View Post
BTW - do we want to agree on a genre/tempo/key/time sig etc to start with, or just see where it takes us from however the early parts inspire us?

I naturally sugggest something that is 4/4 and at least re-mixable to around 126-136 - ie it could stand being re-pitched and/or time stetched to that kind of tempo afterwards if it wasnt there already
The few times i've done this it's just been a case of whoever starting setting the tempo, but i'd agree with having it as a basic 4/4 128bpm to start with?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Modz1
One thing I'd like to suggest though before I write the HOA is that we commit (if) any resulting income, to a charity of mutual choosing by participants.. Let's do some good for our fellow man here peeps?!
Agreed.

So, to get the ball moving a bit on this, we have the following peeps;

Tifstorey
Sureno
Trev
Maccy
Dave
Wilty
JAYDMF
Modz
Khazul

The fun of this is just starting with something and doing it, no real planning. So who wants to go first?

A soundcloud account has been opened where we can upload each version of the song, however, i reckon we still use YouSendit to send the .wav to the next member as it'll probably be mp3's up on SC.

Username is: DV247_Collab (Original )
Password will be sent to participants.

So, we need our first volunteer...