DV247 Forums - A Global Community for Music Makers Lowest Price Guaranteed, Free Delivery, Free 3 Year Warranty
Go Back   DV247 Forums - A Global Community for Music Makers > Artist & Member Forum > Off Topic
Forgot Password? Join Us!
Home Register Groups FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Go to DV247.com
New to Forums or just joined? Why not start your journey here?

Off Topic Drop in for friendly banter and lively debate

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 15th July 2008 , 02:40 PM
Rave Digga

Default has the recession hit hardware sales?

has the resessision hit the music sales hard or has it not been too bad?
i know food and gas/electric/oil has gone up and we all pretty broke now but how has this affected shops like dv247 and do you think the resession will end soon.

and is there anything your trying too save up for even though your broke.

me personally ive been hit very hard with having a new baby and problems with the house but im still trying too save up and buy some new monitors which broke last week i wish i could afford some mid priced speakers but i think the krk rokit 5 will suit me as soon as i can get the money together.
waxxy is offline Offline
Old 24th July 2008 , 03:14 AM
Round The Horn

My feeling is there is a slow-down in music gear being bought. My website gets mostly USA visitors and I am affiliated with some major online music equipment dealers in the US. A couple of years ago I was selling quite a lot but it has been getting less and less as months go by.
So personally that effects my income and prevents me from buying more music gear. However I really think that although we all love to say "you can never have enough gear" I am at the stage where I think I really do have enough, sort of. As far as saving up for something is concerned, I would like to feel able to afford taking classical singing lessons again. A few people who really should know better have told me I really do have potential as a classical singer. For now I am back teaching myself tenor sax so my only outlay tends to be reeds which I buy in 'bulk' to keep the costs down.
Oh, and congratulations on the new baby waxxy! Also, I know how you feel about 'house problems'. Just when you don't need it stuff starts breaking. I had to spend 350 for doctor fees, then I find I will need 450 for the dentist and root canal surgery, then my mobile phone dies, then my home answer/phone dies, then my computer ( a main source of income ) dies and last week my central heating/hot water boiler died.
However, I think that when things get financially difficult it is a great time to find new ways to economise and often eliminate things you needn't have been paying for at all. Then when things get better you hopefully have even more disposable income to spend on fun and gadgets. Well, that's the theory anyway.
saxman is offline Offline
Old 24th July 2008 , 01:38 PM
Rave Digga

thanks saxman..i hope buisness picks up for you soon..and good luck with the classical singing

your right though you can gaurantee when youve no money thats when all the house problems start ..luckly the insurance company has now got some off it sorted but im struggling a bit some weeks because the new boss weve got at work has stopped us working overtime so the new monitors i need will have too wait fr a few months i think or if i can sell some stuff on ebay thatll be something ..all the best saxman
waxxy is offline Offline
Old 24th July 2008 , 03:51 PM
Hell-Rider

well turnkey and sound control went down the tubes, whether thats recession related im not sure but it cant have helped them too much. couple of good mountain bike shops have been hit pretty hard too which sucks and theyve had to go from selling high quality rigs to the low end bikes just to make ends meat. which just sucks as it means no demo days on new DH/FR/AM rigs
JAYDMF is offline Offline
Old 24th July 2008 , 04:17 PM
Round The Horn

Thanks JAYDMF, I had not heard that about Turnkey. Music123 / Woodwind & Brasswind filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy at the end of November 2006 when I think sales volumes were still pretty good. The competition for selling music gear online is very strong which puts a constant squeeze on margins. Recession means people do not only buy less, they also shop around more for the cheapest price if they do buy something.
saxman is offline Offline
Old 24th July 2008 , 04:42 PM
Rave Digga

yeah i as shocked turnkey went bust ..they advertise like crazy in every music magazine going and are always sending out flyers with new deals on them.

who knows why they went bust it could be mismanagement/resssesion related or something totally different lets just pray the ressession goes away as quickly as it came ..hopefully a new government can boost the economy.
waxxy is offline Offline
Old 24th July 2008 , 10:52 PM
Hell-Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by waxxy View Post
yeah i as shocked turnkey went bust ..they advertise like crazy in every music magazine going and are always sending out flyers with new deals on them.

who knows why they went bust it could be mismanagement/resssesion related or something totally different lets just pray the ressession goes away as quickly as it came ..hopefully a new government can boost the economy.
well as far as i was aware turnkey, soundcontrol and dolphin music are all part of the same company and i can imagine the overheads of both turnkey and soundcontrol would be quite hefty as they have way bigger stores than DV dotted around the place and the instore prices are a **** take to say the least, not to mention the fact that some of the staff dont know the difference between their ass and their elbow (no offence to anyone who worked at one of those places, im sure if your on here you know your stuff)
JAYDMF is offline Offline
Old 25th July 2008 , 12:28 PM
Rave Digga

yeah your right soundcontrols sales people (are terrrible) well in my experience they were (check out my other posts about them)
waxxy is offline Offline
Old 25th July 2008 , 01:18 PM

congrats on becoming a daddy waxxy, All the best from up here in Porrigeland!

Stevie Wonder
tudan is offline Offline
Old 25th July 2008 , 04:45 PM
Rave Digga

thanks tudan

you come from the land of porridge ,i come from the land of pies all we need are some potatoe pickers and weve got a meal going on lol
waxxy is offline Offline