DV247 Forums - A Global Community for Music Makers Lowest Price Guaranteed, Free Delivery, Free 3 Year Warranty
Go Back   DV247 Forums - A Global Community for Music Makers > Artist & Member Forum > Off Topic
Forgot Password? Join Us!
Home Register Groups FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Go to DV247.com
New to Forums or just joined? Why not start your journey here?

Off Topic Drop in for friendly banter and lively debate

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 28th November 2008 , 12:19 PM
Forum Idol

Default Investing in Shares?

well seeing as the last 2 summers we have had have been utter shite iv started to think about selling my motorbike and may be investing the money in shares seeing as they all seem to be crashing (halifax, M&S, taylor woodrow etc) this would be a new venture for me so was wondering if any of you guys have had experience or can shed light on any good websites or advice
http://twitter.com/djsureno
sureno is offline Offline
Old 28th November 2008 , 12:52 PM
Forum Poet

Put it in the bank
Old 28th November 2008 , 12:53 PM
Forum Scribe

Interesting thought sureno...might dabble myself

Monarch is offline Offline
Old 28th November 2008 , 12:59 PM
Forum Idol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monarch View Post
Interesting thought sureno...might dabble myself
great link M, gave it a quick look but looks like there is a lot to sink my teeth into and absorb
Old 28th November 2008 , 01:08 PM
Forum Scribe

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureno View Post
great link M, gave it a quick look but looks like there is a lot to sink my teeth into and absorb
Defintely much to consider but it is probably worth spending some time on over the next month - ish, share prices are very low...might not get this low for many a year or longer.

Could be worth an investment or two.

@IABP...

I see what you mean but it would be nice to explore the possibility of getting some of one's money to tap into the current economic downturn in a positive way.

Old 28th November 2008 , 01:14 PM
Forum Idol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monarch View Post
Defintely much to consider but it is probably worth spending some time on over the next month - ish, share prices are very low...might not get this low for many a year or longer.

Could be worth an investment or two.
:
yeah iv been pondering over the idea for the last 2 months reading monitoring the stock market casually, but the way things are looking im starting to think i may as well sign up to an on line poker game as it just seems so much of a gamble, can you believe "Woolworths" have gone bust
Old 28th November 2008 , 02:05 PM
Forum Scribe

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureno View Post
yeah iv been pondering over the idea for the last 2 months reading monitoring the stock market casually, but the way things are looking im starting to think i may as well sign up to an on line poker game as it just seems so much of a gamble, can you believe "Woolworths" have gone bust
Woolworths...probably duie to online outlets...wow.

I would say if you start with a set up like this you can take a lot of guess work out of the process.

FTSE top 20 risers

Good indicator of shares to invest in...these companies (Barclays and Tescos for instance) are very unlikely to go bust, yes no one can guarantee it but it's not likely IMO anytime soon. Many of Hargreaves and Lansdown cusomers are investing in those shares...if you look at where Tescos shares were in January this year you can see why. Tescos shares are almost certain to go back up...when the do there will be some money to be made.

Recent...H & A's customer investments

At the end of the day one must do more research and check out other options. H&A offer an entry point for 9.95.

Again though check out other options as well. I see it as a mid to long term investment but things are so bad now the turn around might be quicker than normal.

Old 28th November 2008 , 02:10 PM
Forum Idol

yeah realistically im looking for a mid length investment unless an anomaly occurred forcing to sell etc
Halifax have been an interesting company to watch and as for Barclays, well their recent new partners may or may not boost stocks?
Old 28th November 2008 , 02:45 PM
Son of 'Z'

I can believe that Woolies went bust.

They just didn't seem to catch on with the times. Companies like HMV did, but I'd say are still at risk. They are cutting back on music, and focusing on games and technology.

Other companies I'd say are at risk are Argos and Toys R Us. Shopping in Argos reminds me of woolies, but they may be saved by the fact they sell a wider range. And I said Toys R Us, just because it's normally things like toys that people cut back on when times are hard. Same goes for their rivals like Toy Master & The Entertainer etc..
EdRyan is offline Offline
Old 28th November 2008 , 03:07 PM
Forum Idol

yeah i was stunned to see woolies go bust and disappointed it used to be my favourite place as a kid
Old 28th November 2008 , 03:10 PM
Mic Check 1!

We are at the start of the deepest recession probably since the 1930s. Analysts are expecting up to 25percent of retailers to go bust in the next 12 months. If the governments most recent tactic fails they are going to have to print money. That means devaluation and possibly stagflation. Now is not the time to take your first dabble in the stock market unless you are literally willing to lose every penny. Put it in the bank. Watch the company reports (of the ones that interest you) that come out in may or june to see how much they have in reserves and what they think the outlook is and if you are willing to take a reasonable gamble at that point, still think twice.
Old 28th November 2008 , 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdRyan View Post
I can believe that Woolies went bust.

They just didn't seem to catch on with the times. Companies like HMV did, but I'd say are still at risk. They are cutting back on music, and focusing on games and technology.

Other companies I'd say are at risk are Argos and Toys R Us. Shopping in Argos reminds me of woolies, but they may be saved by the fact they sell a wider range. And I said Toys R Us, just because it's normally things like toys that people cut back on when times are hard. Same goes for their rivals like Toy Master & The Entertainer etc..
Yeah it's like hearing something like McDonalds gone bancrupt I mean woolworths is a big known store you're right they should have introduced more things Argos has basically taken all their customers.

I don't think Argos is at risk. where would people go if it wasn't for them? and HMV is also a commercial store customers would still find their popular/commercial music there
Old 28th November 2008 , 03:27 PM

Good times

OMG this is the same place right?

http://museum.woolworths.co.uk/1930s-music.htm

whos heard of woolworths records? (eclipse)
Last edited by MUSIKMAKER1; 28th November 2008 at 04:26 PM. . <
Old 28th November 2008 , 03:34 PM
Forum Idol

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrevCircleStudios View Post
We are at the start of the deepest recession probably since the 1930s. Analysts are expecting up to 25percent of retailers to go bust in the next 12 months. If the governments most recent tactic fails they are going to have to print money. That means devaluation and possibly stagflation. Now is not the time to take your first dabble in the stock market unless you are literally willing to lose every penny. Put it in the bank. Watch the company reports (of the ones that interest you) that come out in may or june to see how much they have in reserves and what they think the outlook is and if you are willing to take a reasonable gamble at that point, still think twice.
valid point Trev, yeah i am very wet behind the ears in this field. i just want to maximise my money if i sell this bike as its money theoretically i wont miss
Old 28th November 2008 , 03:36 PM
Round The Horn

I have been investing in UK and USA shares since 2000. I will try to brainstorm a quick list of some points that come to mind.

The Bid/Offer spread varies from one share dealing company to the next. The Bid price is lower than the Offer price. You sell shares at the Bid price and buy them at the Offer price. The people running the market and the share dealers pocket the difference. So don't be blinded by cheap dealing costs - the companies with the lowest dealing costs probably have the worst spreads.

The Bid/Offer spread is wider on thinly traded stocks and could be as much as 20% difference.

If a stock falls by 50% it needs to increase by 100% to get back to where it was. Simple maths but many fail to think about it. Buy at 1.20 per share, falls 50% to 60p per share. You now have to wait for a 100% increase from 60p to get back to where you were.

Because of the bid/offer spread, dealing charges and stamp duty there is little point in putting say only a couple of hundred pounds in to one stock - too much of your capital is eaten just buying the stock. Around 1000 as a minimum for any one stock is a fair rule of thumb.

Stop Losses!!! Accept that you will not always be right and be prepared to sell at a small loss rather than wait until you have lost 80%+ or all of your invesment. If the stock falls by say 20% or 25% then sell and take the loss - move on to something else.

The trend is your friend. Consider taking a little time to learn the basics of technical analysis and recognising patterns in stock charts.
http://stockcharts.com/school/doku.php?id=chart_school
In particular, at least get to understand Support and Resistance.

Yahoo has a short Technical Analysis section for UK stocks.
http://uk.finance.yahoo.com/q/tt?s=HSBA.L

Try to diversify at least a little. ie, if you have 5000 do not put 1000 in each of 5 banks, do not put 1000 in each of 5 mining companies. A news story can panic any sector at any time - there is at least a little safety not being all invested in just one sector.

Practice with a fantasy portfolio. I know a great site http://www.marketocracy.com/ but it is for the USA market. Marketocracy gives you an imaginary one million dollars and you then buy and sell US shares. You see your performance tracked against the major US indices - NASDAQ, S&P500 and the Dow Jones. If you are really really good then Marketocracy will hire you as a fund manager. If you are in the top 25% they will give you extra forum priviliges and you can then get more information from the top investors. One great thing about the Marketocracy fantasy portfolio is they make you stick to the same rules that professional fund managers have to follow. For example;
* You cannot purchase stock such that it will increase a position more than 25% of your portfolio. Always.
* No one stock can exceed 25% of your portfolio assets. Majority of Quarter
* Half your portfolio must be made up of stocks of 10% (or less) of your portfolio assets. Majority of Quarter

The Marketocracy rules are very good practice for running a real investment portfolio.
saxman is offline Offline