DV247 Forums - A Global Community for Music Makers Lowest Price Guaranteed, Free Delivery, Free 3 Year Warranty
Go Back   DV247 Forums - A Global Community for Music Makers > Artist & Member Forum > Off Topic
Forgot Password? Join Us!
Home Register Groups FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Go to DV247.com
New to Forums or just joined? Why not start your journey here?

Off Topic Drop in for friendly banter and lively debate

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 16th October 2008 , 04:15 PM
Spectrum Idoliser

I've got Sky broadband at home because bundled with Sky TV it works out as a good deal. We pay for 8Meg, but I took an ISP speedtest online and saw that I was getting an extra Meg than we were paying for for some reason. No complaints there really.

Best ISP based on customer satisfaction though is apparently Fast.co.uk.
Old 16th October 2008 , 05:17 PM
Forum Scribe

O2 broadband here.
Monarch is offline Offline
Old 16th October 2008 , 05:25 PM
Forum Idol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monarch View Post
yep behind the front its be broadband, how do you find them?
http://twitter.com/djsureno
sureno is offline Offline
Old 16th October 2008 , 05:43 PM

Tiscali here, and they are utter, utter sh#te

For non Tiscal users who are having a hard time with their chosen ISP, it's always well worth checking out the Tiscali support forums, the amount of disgruntled members posting problems beggars belief. To Tiscalis credit, they do leave these open for all the world to see, but it suggests they have no shame.

In my case, it's constant disconnections, and I've never once even approached the 8mg I'm paying for, in fact after 5pm it's often as slow as dialup. When they reduce the prices on the various packages they offer, it isn't done automatically for members, it's up to us to check regularly and then apply.

There are numerous accounts of people leaving, but still being charged months later, and speaking of leaving, they make getting a mac code as difficult as possible. You can't do it online, you have to phone and hope the person you speak to hasn't got a memory like a sieve (more than likely deliberate) and forgets as soon as they put the phone down.

Now onto their tech support phone lines, dear God, where do I start? Unless you like being on hold for ages, only to end up speaking to a person based in India, don't bother. I've got caught with this twice, the second time I had no choice, but that phone call, made worse by my broad Derbyshire accent being as unintelligible to the man I was speaking to, as his accent was to me. That one phone call was roughly 50% of my next phone bill

Avoid Tiscali like the plague, they may be cheap, but they're still way overpriced for the cr#p service they offer.
Ian B is offline Offline
Last edited by Ian B; 16th October 2008 at 05:45 PM. . <
Old 16th October 2008 , 05:51 PM
Forum Idol

im sorry to laugh dude but i too have heard unbelievable stories about these guys
Old 16th October 2008 , 06:11 PM
Forum Scribe

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureno View Post
yep behind the front its be broadband, how do you find them?
be still offer their own broadband service though. Seems a bit strange.

O2 so far have been great. Very impressed so far. They also provide my mobile service.

Plusnet was my first ISP some years ago (before I discovered the site below). I then moved to Talk Talk (great deal on paper) terrible service...could not wait to get out of that deal. I actually ignored checking the Thinkbroadband website (more on that later) to see Talk Talk's ratings because A. the deal I was offered was so good and B. they were not in operation long enough to be properly rated so it was a big risk that frankly was a disaster in the end.

I then after carefully comparing services on thinkbroadbands site decided to go with O2.

Ok...

FWIW I thought I would post this online comparison site e.t.c for ISP's. I have used this site to successfully choose an ISP and every time it has been a superb guide. Thinkbroadband.

Here is a comparison page that lets you select 4 or more providers and compare the following...

Speed

Reliability

Customer Service

I find it interesting when I compared Be and O2 that their results are pretty identical for speed and reliability (no surprises there) but...customer servce is a bit better for O2. Maybe due to higher numbers of customer support staff that O2 almost certainly have compared to Be.

What results do your ISP's get against the ones mentioned so far on this thread...

tiscali
O2
be
Virgin
AAISP (not sure if that is on the thinkbroadband list)

e.t.c...

How did your ISP score..? Has the quality slipped? Better options out there or still top rate?

You can also rate your ISP and try a speed test.
Last edited by Monarch; 16th October 2008 at 06:13 PM. . <
Old 16th October 2008 , 06:13 PM

My first ISP was Freeserve which then became Wanadoo which then became Orange and I'm still with them today. I've had a few problems over the last 10 years (mainly with poor customer service, especially when it was out sourced to India), but for the vast majority of the time, I have nothing but good things to say about them. I would estimate that I have something in the region of 99.5% uptime. Customer Service now seems to be based back here in the UK and has improved immensely because of it.

My current package gets me 8MB (and I do get a full 8MB as I'm only 300 metres from the exchange ) and with that I get a very configurable wireless router with built in print server (great for a house full of computers). It's also my phone package as I use the VoIP facilities which give me free UK landline calls 24/7 and free calls to Orange mobiles 24/7 plus free calls to 30 major international destinations 24/7. I also pay them my line rental, so no more BT. My landline is also operated by Orange and that gets me free UK landline calls at evenings and weekends. The router has also just been upgraded for the forthcoming DTV service. It also gets used for my Playstation

All this for 15 a month. That's everything. Line rental, both phone lines and DSL. It's normally 24 per month but I get 9 off for having an Orange contract phone.

I was wary about putting everything under the Orange umbrella, but I have not yet had reason to regret my decision.

Down in the park with a friend called Five...

-
Akai S6000|Akai Z8|Akai MPC1000|Akai MPC500|Akai MPK49|Alesis Fusion 6HD|Korg Prophecy|Yamaha CS1x,DX27,RM1x,SU-10,DTXpress,UX256|Roland SC-88VL,PMA-5|EmulatorX2|Behringer UMA25S|Event EZBus|AKG C444|JBL Control 1's
Failed Muso is offline Offline
Old 16th October 2008 , 06:27 PM
Forum Idol

i find be broadband support excellent, yes i too thought it was odd, oh well
Old 16th October 2008 , 06:56 PM
Round The Horn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monarch View Post
AAISP (not sure if that is on the thinkbroadband list)
I think it is on the list as "Andrews & Arnold".
The AAISP guys have always responded promptly and expertly to any problem I have had. They are always extremely open and honest about technical issues and have a blog deliberately running on an external site so they can keep posting status messages even if their own website goes down; AAISP Status Page

The AAISP tech support have even contacted me in the past to ask me to run a speed test on my line - they thought they saw some errors and wanted me to check to see if my line was ok because they thought they should report a fault to BT. So they have responded to a technical problem even before I knew I had a problem!
saxman is offline Offline
Old 16th October 2008 , 07:00 PM
Forum Idol

Quote:
Originally Posted by saxman View Post
The AAISP guys have always responded promptly and expertly to any problem I have had. They are always extremely open and honest about technical issues and have a blog deliberately running on an external site so they can keep posting status messages even if their own website goes down; AAISP Status Page

The AAISP tech support have even contacted me in the past to ask me to run a speed test on my line - they thought they saw some errors and wanted me to check to see if my line was ok because they thought they should report a fault to BT. So they have responded to a technical problem even before I knew I had a problem!
These guys sound awesome, may have to look into them if i got to change ISP in the future
Old 16th October 2008 , 07:47 PM
Forum Scribe

Quote:
Originally Posted by saxman View Post

Andrews and Arnold...Ok Judging by your description they sound like a very good option as sureno said. Nice.
Old 17th October 2008 , 06:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureno View Post
im sorry to laugh dude but i too have heard unbelievable stories about these guys
Whatever you've heard, you can safely double, they are shockingly bad. As I said, the forums are ful of people complaing about various things, and while I accept the majority of their customers are happy with the service they get, a good number aren't.

At the minute I can't access the My Account section due to work being done, so even if the price of my package has been reduced I can't apply for it or upgrade/downgrade it. It'll be like this till 26 October, and that'll be nearly a month. It's *odd* that this is the only part of Tiscali I/we can't access, so no doubt when I can I'll find the price has been reduced and they've had a months payment at a higher price.

After upgrading to my current package, I entered another 12 month contract which still has a bit to run, so leaving atm is out of the question......not to mention the sheer ballache involved of leaving
Ian B is offline Offline
Old 17th October 2008 , 07:33 AM
OJB

I was with Virgin (ADSL - *sigh*) for a year and I got to the end of my nerves with its hideous contention ratio after 5pm. As soon as everyone was home from work my download and upload speeds plumetted to the point that simply opening webpages would result in time outs quite frequently. Then my brother moved to Be and told me about how impressive it was.

I decided to investigate and the free speed test on their site told me I was currently getting 3.5meg broadband and they said they could offer up to 11meg on my phone line. For 18 a month, unlimited broadband this seemed ideal. Plus they have customer service open 24 hours a day, they have online chat, an intelligent first line customer service team... none of those can be said about virgin's hideous customer service where you get charged about 20p a minute to be on hold.

Ended up asking virgin for my MAC number (migration code) and giving it to Be and let them do the rest. The only hiccup made was on BT's end when they decided to unplug my house at the local exchange and lose us phone and internet access for over a week. Was hard getting them to get it fixed but they eventually did and my internet access has been very impressive since.
OJB is offline Offline
Old 17th October 2008 , 08:21 AM
ndk

Quote:
Originally Posted by OJB View Post
I was with Virgin (ADSL - *sigh*) for a year and I got to the end of my nerves with its hideous contention ratio after 5pm. As soon as everyone was home from work my download and upload speeds plumetted to the point that simply opening webpages would result in time outs quite frequently.
That was exactly the same for me with Virgin! They promised up to 8mb, i would have been better of using my dial up modem it was that bad! I managed to get out of the contract after 3 months on the grounds that they had breached it and not delivered anything near they had promised. They didn't make it easy though. No reply to emails, endless on hold calls, useless support staff and just generally incompetent in every area. Possibly the worst ISP i have ever had the misfortune to have dealt with. FACT!

I changed to ADSL24's Home 30 package. For 20 a month i got 8mb line, 30gb peak download, 300gb off peak, a whole host of online tools and up to 8 static IP addresses if i wanted them. The guy i spoke to there was really helpful, the migration was easy, i only ever had 1 very short period of down time and the support was excellent. I cant recommend them enough! Plus its a monthy contract so easy to get out of if needs be. I was sorry to leave when i moved out!

Check em out - ADSL24 Broadband - Home

I found them through - ISPreview UK - Independent Internet Service Provider Information Source
Old 17th October 2008 , 10:51 PM
Forum Scribe

[QUOTE]
Quote:
Originally Posted by OJB View Post
I was with Virgin (ADSL - *sigh*) for a year and I got to the end of my nerves with its hideous contention ratio after 5pm.
I generally try to avoid any internet activity if possible at that time. I have defnintely seen a bottleneck appear at certain times of the day but much less so with O2 if at all recently.