DV247 Forums - A Global Community for Music Makers Lowest Price Guaranteed, Free Delivery, Free 3 Year Warranty
Go Back   DV247 Forums - A Global Community for Music Makers > Artist & Member Forum > Off Topic
Forgot Password? Join Us!
Home Register Groups FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Go to DV247.com
New to Forums or just joined? Why not start your journey here?

Off Topic Drop in for friendly banter and lively debate

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 14th September 2008 , 09:40 PM
Forum Idol

Quote:
Originally Posted by krykos View Post
Not really. I've managed to run my guitar signal into my microkorg (on vocoder mode), and then use it's modulation effects to total dismantle the conventional sound of a guitar. Experimentation is great.
no was just wondering how what you said referenced to the quote you gave, btw i like running my Korg R3 through my talkbox
http://twitter.com/djsureno
sureno is offline Offline
Old 14th September 2008 , 09:43 PM
Spectrum Idoliser

Ah, that would be because I accidentally clicked reply on the wrong post...
Quote in that post has been edited now.
Old 14th September 2008 , 09:46 PM
Forum Idol

Quote:
Originally Posted by krykos View Post
Ah, that would be because I accidentally clicked reply on the wrong post...
**Quote in that post has been edited now.
you made me loose my mind for a sec, krykos, are you a tall brunette well endowed sexy Brazilian woman because only they have made me loose my mind before

**now i look even more dumb
Old 14th September 2008 , 10:21 PM

I've got one for you...

Here's a classic example of thinking outside the box
Old 15th September 2008 , 03:55 AM

I studied music at school at GCSE and A level, plus took lessons in piano, brass and music theory. I was a member of various orchestras, bands and groups throughout my teens and performed many times. This was all well and good but I feel that all this experience wasnt actually very relevant to my music production, yes the theory and piano lessons didnt hurt, but I think pretty much everything I know to do with production is self taught.

at 25 I somtimes wonder why I didnt approach the music production/technology side of things a lot sooner, but hindsight is a wonderful thing
conor_j is offline Offline
Old 15th September 2008 , 01:14 PM
Costa Del Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by conor_j View Post
at 25 I somtimes wonder why I didnt approach the music production/technology side of things a lot sooner, but hindsight is a wonderful thing
It looks like we are all in the same boat!! Maybe we need a therapy group going here.

I don't think this age thing is that important. Now there are more opportunities and methods to learn than before. I think what is more important is how we approach what we learn. I have a small baby and realistically I know I can't produce anything to the standard I want until he starts school - and that's at least a year away, maybe two. It's different for me I suppose as family is now first for me and music has become a hobby. But I hope it can become more again. Until then, my plan is to keep plugging away the best I can until the day arrives where I can finally sit down as say I have four or five hours to do this now - rather than the half hour shots I'm getting at the moment.

Determination is the saviour here. If we know what we want, we find a way to get it - no matter what it takes. That can help to focus what we look at but we should also keep our eyes open during the journey - you never know what might come out of it!!!

[Optimisitic lecture over]
sphelan is offline Offline
Old 15th September 2008 , 03:38 PM
Forum Idol

Quote:
Originally Posted by sphelan View Post
It looks like we are all in the same boat!! Maybe we need a therapy group going here.

I don't think this age thing is that important. Now there are more opportunities and methods to learn than before. I think what is more important is how we approach what we learn. I have a small baby and realistically I know I can't produce anything to the standard I want until he starts school - and that's at least a year away, maybe two. It's different for me I suppose as family is now first for me and music has become a hobby. But I hope it can become more again. Until then, my plan is to keep plugging away the best I can until the day arrives where I can finally sit down as say I have four or five hours to do this now - rather than the half hour shots I'm getting at the moment.

Determination is the saviour here. If we know what we want, we find a way to get it - no matter what it takes. That can help to focus what we look at but we should also keep our eyes open during the journey - you never know what might come out of it!!!

[Optimisitic lecture over]
where do i sign up, the day im having i need some sort of therapy
well seeing as we are talking about education, il be going to that coarse at west london's DV tomorrow for Logic, not sure what they will be teaching in regards to Logic but il be happy if i learn anything new, just hope its not like back in school where i get getting expelled
Old 15th September 2008 , 04:12 PM

The thing is tho, I dont feel that to be a good producer you have to be musically trained to a high level, ok yes im sure it helps to know a bit of theory but I dont think its essential
conor_j is offline Offline
Old 15th September 2008 , 04:31 PM
Forum Idol

Quote:
The thing is tho, I dont feel that to be a good producer you have to be musically trained to a high level, ok yes im sure it helps to know a bit of theory but I dont think its essential
not essential at all, case example my friend has started with no musical knowledge and the stuff he is turning out is amazing!!!
Old 15th September 2008 , 04:40 PM
Costa Del Cool

Quote:
That's why I said earlier we are talking about different things.

Naturally, music theory (in the sense of knowing what music is made up of) is required to compose or song write. Production, IMO, is more technical. I am sure there are many great producers who don't play an instrument for example.
sphelan is offline Offline
Old 23rd January 2009 , 01:14 AM

Definitely missed this thread!

First got the GCSE a fair few years ago - A*! - then A/S - A - then A2 (main A level) - B - and now studying Music & Sound Technology at Portsmouth University, BSc Honours degree, 3 year course.

Then the music exams! Grade 5 theory as standard, then Grade 8 Clarinet, Grade 7 piano and apparently I'm at Grade 6 standard for drums
Maccy is offline Offline
Old 23rd January 2009 , 01:21 AM

Hi, my first post here. Interesting discussion, personally I have met a lot of DJ's who release very good tracks without knowing any music theory. Some have just taught themselves, some have taken a course on Logic or Ableton, and I supsect that a lot of big name DJ's use other people to actually produce and mix the track; but even if this is the case I believe it's fair to say that they are still responsible for the track. Look at Goldie, he has done some of the best DnB records ever and he doesn't do anything apart from finding the right people to do the records for him. Surely if you compose classical music you need to study, but for other styles you just need to practice. Anotehr example, I remember watching an interview with Jay Kay and explained his composing technique: he sings the melody to his keyboard player, the band figures out the chords to put around the melody, and if Jay doesn't like something they try other things until he's happy. You can say that it's the others that do all the work but on the other hand, without Jay Kay the songs would end up being very different.
So I guess the bottom line is that studying can't do no harm but it shouldn't be used as an excuse for not putting some effort in writing music.
Simon Cow is offline Offline
Old 23rd January 2009 , 01:23 AM

^^ So have you actually studied music?
Maccy is offline Offline
Old 24th January 2009 , 02:34 PM

[QUOTE=Maccy;25928]^^ So have you actually studied music?[/QUOTE]

Not really, when I was younger I have studied some theory for a few months with a guy that almost made me want to quit music altogether, and I have forgotten most of it. I have been teaching myself for years and now I am thinking of taking a short course on Logic or Ableton, to see if there is something I am missing. So I am intrigued at the idea of some training, but I still don't think that Education with a capital E and a Uni degree is the answer.
Simon Cow is offline Offline
Old 24th January 2009 , 02:35 PM
Forum Idol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon Cow View Post
Hi, my first post here. Interesting discussion, personally I have met a lot of DJ's who release very good tracks without knowing any music theory. Some have just taught themselves, some have taken a course on Logic or Ableton, and I supsect that a lot of big name DJ's use other people to actually produce and mix the track; but even if this is the case I believe it's fair to say that they are still responsible for the track. Look at Goldie, he has done some of the best DnB records ever and he doesn't do anything apart from finding the right people to do the records for him. Surely if you compose classical music you need to study, but for other styles you just need to practice. Anotehr example, I remember watching an interview with Jay Kay and explained his composing technique: he sings the melody to his keyboard player, the band figures out the chords to put around the melody, and if Jay doesn't like something they try other things until he's happy. You can say that it's the others that do all the work but on the other hand, without Jay Kay the songs would end up being very different.
So I guess the bottom line is that studying can't do no harm but it shouldn't be used as an excuse for not putting some effort in writing music.
interesting read there, my view on this is that if you studied music you know how to put your idea onto your medium, i having not studied find it very hard to do so and also lack all the tricks and tips gathered by people who studied. i must admit some people who haven't studied at all have the natural jammy ability to be able to just knock up a melody riff and arrangement with the littlest of fuss, i myself am not one of them