DV247 Forums - A Global Community for Music Makers Lowest Price Guaranteed, Free Delivery, Free 3 Year Warranty
Go Back   DV247 Forums - A Global Community for Music Makers > Artist & Member Forum > Off Topic
Forgot Password? Join Us!
Home Register Groups FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Go to DV247.com
New to Forums or just joined? Why not start your journey here?

Off Topic Drop in for friendly banter and lively debate

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 14th September 2008 , 07:38 PM
Costa Del Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrfracas View Post
Going to college and uni is not the be-all and end-all of education. You learn to educate yourself from all activities in which you endeavour.

I was taught piano, and self-taught on various other instruments. I got into production and synths when I was around 13 or so, but I didn't take music as a GCSE. I even left college a few months into my Music Tech National Diploma so I could earn money to fund my interest in music.

The reason I went back at the age of 18, was because I realised I was working in a factory way too long, and I needed to prove to myself that I could do this course, and that I could go on to uni.

However, I'm just coming up to 25 years old and I'm worried that my education has stood in the way of me getting into the industry at a younger age. So, I suppose we all have some doubts about the methods by which we've travelled our paths. But, like you said above, the grass is always greener on the other side.

On the upside, I did learn a lot of skills I would never have imagined previously. Although, maybe my skillset would be totally different if I hadn't gone to uni... always two sides to the coin. The main thing is to not compare yourself to others, or look in hindsight; it's all time wasted, when really all you need to better yourself is to continue with the things you love doing, and realise that what you do is good. If it isn't, then look to remedy it. Be happy with the choices you've made, or move on to better choices.
Nice to be back debating with you on this topic Matt.

I'm 39 (s*** I said it) and I'm still hoping I might get somewhere with all this!!!!
sphelan is offline Offline
Old 14th September 2008 , 07:39 PM
Uber Member

Quote:
On the upside, I did learn a lot of skills I would never have imagined previously. Although, maybe my skillset would be totally different if I hadn't gone to uni... always two sides to the coin. The main thing is to not compare yourself to others, or look in hindsight; it's all time wasted, when really all you need to better yourself is to continue with the things you love doing, and realise that what you do is good. If it isn't, then look to remedy it. Be happy with the choices you've made, or move on to better choices.

That should go on a t-shirt.
Good advice though, and a healthy attitude to promote.
Old 14th September 2008 , 07:40 PM
Forum Idol

Quote:
Originally Posted by sphelan View Post
There's a time lapse...while I was writing the last post I've missed what you guys were saying...sorry if there is a lack of coherency
this place would be alot more organized if i wasn't here
http://twitter.com/djsureno
sureno is offline Offline
Old 14th September 2008 , 07:46 PM
Costa Del Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureno View Post
ok ok stop showing off now
what do you teach exactly?
I'm not teaching music at the moment and haven't since I move to Spain. I've been back teaching English since the move.

I began teaching piano and music theory in 1990 - yes, I know some of you guys weren't even born, ha ha ha!!! I studied piano and theory to teacher level. But I also became self-taught on the guitar and violin. Later I took cello lesson. I then added violin and guitar to my teaching work. I went back to uni after doing most of a science degree and studied a BA in music and in media and communications. Then I studied to be a secondary teacher in music and English and followed this with a masters in ethnomusicolgy - musics of the world and lots of academic theory.

So using all of that I have taught piano, guitar, violin, pre-instrumental classes for children and even moved into university teaching for two years where I taugh teachers-to-be.

Maybe I'm giving too many details. But basically all that is part of me. Now, like I said, I am not teaching music and have returned to playing and composing after an absence of three years from the music scene. Teaching music here in Spain is what I want to do but I have been enjoying getting back into music myself that teaching has taken a back seat.
Old 14th September 2008 , 07:48 PM
Costa Del Cool

This thread is starting to sound like Alcoholics Annonomyous (that looks badly spelt) or a dating agency!!!
Old 14th September 2008 , 07:55 PM
Forum Idol

Quote:
I'm not teaching music at the moment and haven't since I move to Spain. I've been back teaching English since the move.

I began teaching piano and music theory in 1990 - yes, I know some of you guys weren't even born, ha ha ha!!! I studied piano and theory to teacher level. But I also became self-taught on the guitar and violin. Later I took cello lesson. I then added violin and guitar to my teaching work. I went back to uni after doing most of a science degree and studied a BA in music and in media and communications. Then I studied to be a secondary teacher in music and English and followed this with a masters in ethnomusicolgy - musics of the world and lots of academic theory.

So using all of that I have taught piano, guitar, violin, pre-instrumental classes for children and even moved into university teaching for two years where I taugh teachers-to-be.

Maybe I'm giving too many details. But basically all that is part of me. Now, like I said, I am not teaching music and have returned to playing and composing after an absence of three years from the music scene. Teaching music here in Spain is what I want to do but I have been enjoying getting back into music myself that teaching has taken a back seat.
i have to stress this, being self taught from scratch and being self taught from a steady foundation in music is a massive difference imo
Old 14th September 2008 , 07:55 PM

Quote:
...it's what you produce musically that's of value and now how you learned to do it.
+1 Shane!!

You could spend years paying someone for lessons, or reading a Dummies guide book; it still won't make you any more creative than you feel.

Sure, one can get to know the rudiments; but unless one is willing to explore their imagination and creativity, the goods will not be produced.

There is essentially no right or wrong way about becoming a musician/producer/engineer/etc. plenty of our idols have risen from the most surprisingly uneducated backgrounds. I'm sure we could all name plenty... But how about this for an example of educational conditioning - someone who's exstensively studied in Sociology (writing a thesis entitled The Commodification of Image - Production of a Pop Idol), and who has been let loose on the music industry. Yes, I'm talking about none other than:

MR JAMES BLUNT!

Now you see that too much of the eductional system isn't necessarily healthy for you!
Old 14th September 2008 , 07:59 PM
Costa Del Cool

Quote:
+1 Shane!!

You could spend years paying someone for lessons, or reading a Dummies guide book; it still won't make you any more creative than you feel.

Sure, one can get to know the rudiments; but unless one is willing to explore their imagination and creativity, the goods will not be produced.

There is essentially no right or wrong way about becoming a musician/producer/engineer/etc. plenty of our idols have risen from the most surprisingly uneducated backgrounds. I'm sure we could all name plenty... But how about this for an example of educational conditioning - someone who's exstensively studied in Sociology (writing a thesis entitled The Commodification of Image - Production of a Pop Idol), and who has been let loose on the music industry. Yes, I'm talking about none other than:

MR JAMES BLUNT!

Now you see that too much of the eductional system isn't necessarily healthy for you!
LMAO...perfect example.
Old 14th September 2008 , 08:03 PM
Costa Del Cool

Quote:
i have to stress this, being self taught from scratch and being self taught from a steady foundation in music is a massive difference imo
I agree and that's why music production is difficult for me.
Old 14th September 2008 , 08:07 PM
Forum Idol

Quote:
I agree and that's why music production is difficult for me.
see i find that hard to understand, the way i see it you should be flying tracks out, from what you have said you have more than a good foundation in theory. even if it comes down to listening to a house track and analyzing it to understand its structure, i still find it very hard
Old 14th September 2008 , 08:33 PM
Costa Del Cool

Quote:
see i find that hard to understand, the way i see it you should be flying tracks out, from what you have said you have more than a good foundation in theory. even if it comes down to listening to a house track and analyzing it to understand its structure, i still find it very hard
Yes, I think the same at times. But there is something else in the equation....TIME and that's something lacking at the moment. So many committments to my time. Now if I could just win the lottery and not have to work!
Old 14th September 2008 , 08:34 PM
Costa Del Cool

Like I've said many times...I new to the production and like anything there is a learning curve...it's just it's a very steep curve!!
Old 14th September 2008 , 08:35 PM
Forum Idol

Quote:
Yes, I think the same at times. But there is something else in the equation....TIME and that's something lacking at the moment. So many committments to my time. Now if I could just win the lottery and not have to work!
Il do you a deal, i got plenty of time you got plenty of knowledge, capiche
Old 14th September 2008 , 08:38 PM
Costa Del Cool

Quote:
Il do you a deal, i got plenty of time you got plenty of knowledge, capiche
I was actually going to suggest some collaboration work for the future!!

Bring me up to speed on techniques and I'll give you all the theory you need.

Seriously, collaboration might be an interesting way to do some tracks and see where it goes.
Old 14th September 2008 , 08:38 PM
Costa Del Cool

And judging by your posting frenzy, what else do you do all day Paul????