DV247 Forums - A Global Community for Music Makers Lowest Price Guaranteed, Free Delivery, Free 3 Year Warranty
Old 12th September 2008 , 10:48 AM
Forum Idol

Default Who called me.....?

this is probably well known by some members but for those who aren't in the know

This website will tell you who called your phone on that number you didn't want to answer if the number is registered with them e.g debt collection agency, conman firm etc etc unfortunately they can't help with the number's of the women you ditched at 6a.m by creeping out their house clutching your shoes as to not make a noise and leaving the front door a jar to preserve silence not caring if their beloved cat run's away after staying the night at theirs having met them that night
http://twitter.com/djsureno
sureno is offline Offline
Old 12th September 2008 , 02:11 PM
Round The Horn

Thanks. I did not know about that list.
I am registered with TPS which stops many but not all unwanted calls.
Until recently I was receiving a call almost every day from "international/out of area" as my phone display put it. The callers' accent was always American and they claimed to be from some market research company. "just a second, please" is what I always said, then put the phone down without hanging up. This would tie up one of their phone lines for several minutes at their expense. The line would eventually disconnect. Of course my phone line would also be tied up for several minutes but most people trying to contact me always ring my mobile, so that was not something I worried about.

I am also registered with MPS online to stop unwanted mail.
saxman is offline Offline
Old 12th September 2008 , 02:13 PM
Forum Idol

Quote:
Originally Posted by saxman View Post
Thanks. I did not know about that list.
I am registered with TPS which stops many but not all unwanted calls.
Until recently I was receiving a call almost every day from "international/out of area" as my phone display put it. The callers' accent was always American and they claimed to be from some market research company. "just a second, please" is what I always said, then put the phone down without hanging up. This would tie up one of their phone lines for several minutes at their expense. The line would eventually disconnect. Of course my phone line would also be tied up for several minutes but most people trying to contact me always ring my mobile, so that was not something I worried about.

I am also registered with MPS online to stop unwanted mail.
yes looked into TPS today but never really answer the house phone any more any way
Old 13th September 2008 , 01:09 AM

saxman - I love it! I've tried that one too, and you get a great sense of satisfaction from it. Another one is to sound interested and ask their name and the name of the company (Sorry, didn't quite catch your name...and what's the name of your company again?), and having got that, say "Thanks - i need to go now - I've got to call TPS and report you for making nuisance calls - you do realise it's illegal don't you?" This usually results in either an apology, or the phone being set down on you! (Only works with UK companies obviously!)
Now what Ireally want is a "music on hold" machine, which plays The Entertainer, and periodically says "Thank you for holding - your call is important to me....."
Stagesound is offline Offline
Old 13th September 2008 , 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagesound View Post
saxman - I love it! I've tried that one too, and you get a great sense of satisfaction from it. Another one is to sound interested and ask their name and the name of the company (Sorry, didn't quite catch your name...and what's the name of your company again?), and having got that, say "Thanks - i need to go now - I've got to call TPS and report you for making nuisance calls - you do realise it's illegal don't you?" This usually results in either an apology, or the phone being set down on you! (Only works with UK companies obviously!)
Now what Ireally want is a "music on hold" machine, which plays The Entertainer, and periodically says "Thank you for holding - your call is important to me....."
Oh Jesus, I thought I was the only one. I like to add to the fun by really stringing the call out, too. It's hilarious how angry they get when you drop the TPS bombshell on them, after they've spent fifteen minutes describing every facet of their product and their company to you. I love it.
RedDavid is offline Offline
Old 3rd October 2008 , 02:35 PM
Round The Horn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagesound View Post
I've got to call TPS and report you for making nuisance calls - you do realise it's illegal don't you?" This usually results in either an apology, or the phone being set down on you! (Only works with UK companies obviously!)
Yes I always mention TPS with UK companies. If it is a UK company I ask to speak to the manager and then give them a hard time. TPS have an online form you can use to report a company but you do need to get as much info as you can - phone number, name of company etc.

Today I had yet another call from an "International" number - my phone did not display the actual number. TPS does not scare them. I usually do the "just a minute" thing and put the phone down without hanging up. Today I tried something different. I really do not like the fact that these guys have my real name and address.

Caller: Hello I'm calling from.....
Me: Hello! I was expecting your call
Caller: Is your name xxxx xxxxxxx?
Me: No
Caller: And you live at number xx xxxxxxxx.....?
Me: No
Caller: Would you like to win a VW Golf.....
Me: I'm sorry, I don't understand the question
Caller: Would you like to enter a competition to win a VW Golf car?
Me: Sorry, I don't know what you are talking about.
Caller: A car, a competition to win a car
Me: A what? sorry you've lost me. Could you repeat the question.
Caller: A CAR! DON'T YOU KNOW WHAT A CAR IS!!!!!!!!!!
Me: You really have me very confused
Caller: I'm sorry
Me: Oh thank you for apologising, that is nice of you!
Caller: Do you want to win a VW Golf......
5 minutes later.......
Caller: YOU MUST KNOW WHAT A CAR IS!!!! DO YOU WANT TO WIN A VW GOLF CAR????????????????
Me: errrrr, could you spell that please?
Caller: Do you know what a**hole is?
Me: Do I know where what is?

I then put the phone down without hanging up. If ( more likely 'when' ) they call again I am going to say I don't want to enter a competition to win a VW Golf because I don't play golf.
Old 3rd October 2008 , 02:59 PM
Forum Idol

lmao, only you saxman
Old 7th October 2008 , 02:52 PM
Round The Horn

New plan. I now know how I got on these people's list. A few years ago I entered an online competition run by Clash Media. I used a unique email address for that entry as I do for all online purchases, mailing lists etc. When I entered the competition I of course chose to not allow my details to be passed on to 3rd parties. I immediately received loads of spam to that email address. The Clash Media T&Cs listed email addresses to contact to have your information removed - those email addresses did not exist. Numerous large UK companies buy mailing lists from Clash Media so you could receive spam from anyone after giving your info to Clash.

The caller today ( again international - Indian ) gave my Clash Media competition email as my email address. I said that was incorrect and my email address was donotemail@supanet.fu**you.org - the supanet bit was his invention because he was having trouble understanding the f u bit.

So, I have now downloaded a recording of a woman saying "the number you have called has changed to....... this is a recorded message". I have inserted the number of 'someone' I feel deserves to get the call more than me and I have saved the soundclip to my mobile phone. Next time they call I will hold my mobile to the receiver and play them the recorded message. I somehow doubt that this little trick will stop them but it is worth a try.....
Old 7th October 2008 , 02:57 PM
Sound Guru

Default Another way...

whitecat is offline Offline
Old 7th October 2008 , 03:11 PM
Forum Idol

F@cking excellent!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 7th October 2008 , 03:14 PM
Round The Horn

Brilliant T3! I had read someone referring to that but I never actually heard it until now. I think that kind of stunt would be difficult with the guys calling me because they don't seem to speak enough english.