DV247 Forums - A Global Community for Music Makers Lowest Price Guaranteed, Free Delivery, Free 3 Year Warranty
Go Back   DV247 Forums - A Global Community for Music Makers > Artist & Member Forum > Off Topic
Forgot Password? Join Us!
Home Register Groups FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Go to DV247.com
New to Forums or just joined? Why not start your journey here?

Off Topic Drop in for friendly banter and lively debate

View Poll Results: Will the world end tomorrow (10th Sept)?
YES 3 37.50%
NO 5 62.50%
Voters: 8. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 9th September 2008 , 03:46 PM
Sound Guru

And as long as the time-distortion doesn't result in increased jitter on my converters I'll be OK.
whitecat is offline Offline
Old 9th September 2008 , 03:53 PM

It won't end tomorrow. But there is a serious risk of danger from the mini black holes it might produce. On the plus side, they'd take four years to grow large enough to destroy the planet. On the down side, that would be 2012, a year in which ancient religions have prophesised the apocalypse to occur, and in which NASA have found an asteroid that might collide with earth. Thankfully, it won't. Won't come close enough to be drawn in by Earth's magnetic or gravitational pull. Earth + a black hole the size of a country though, that'd be another story. And one that ends in us, basically, dying in horrible, horrible, firey death.
RedDavid is offline Offline
Old 9th September 2008 , 03:57 PM
Forum Idol

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedDavid View Post
It won't end tomorrow. But there is a serious risk of danger from the mini black holes it might produce. On the plus side, they'd take four years to grow large enough to destroy the planet. On the down side, that would be 2012, a year in which ancient religions have prophesised the apocalypse to occur, and in which NASA have found an asteroid that might collide with earth. Thankfully, it won't. Won't come close enough to be drawn in by Earth's magnetic or gravitational pull. Earth + a black hole the size of a country though, that'd be another story. And one that ends in us, basically, dying in horrible, horrible, firey death.
yes the addition of a black hole would increase gravitational pull, what a depressing thread they say a black holes gravitational pull is so strong it even pulls in light particles!!!
http://twitter.com/djsureno
sureno is offline Offline
Old 9th September 2008 , 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureno View Post
they say a black holes gravitational pull is so strong it even pulls in light particles!!!
I've known girls like that
kedo is offline Offline
Old 9th September 2008 , 10:45 PM

Well it's definitely going to be the end of the world for some poor atom at the end of that thing!
£4.4 billion just to smash things! - I know guys who'd do it for half of that!

Just to be on the safe side, I'm going to wear protective clothing - now where did I leave that asbestos quilt lined jacket?
Stagesound is offline Offline
Old 9th September 2008 , 11:59 PM
Round The Horn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagesound View Post
Just to be on the safe side, I'm going to wear protective clothing
Protective clothing is a good idea but the good old stiff upper lip brits have been prepared for disaster for many years. There are other things you can do in the ultimate disaster ( many of the Protect & Survive films are pretty creepy now actually )
saxman is offline Offline
Old 10th September 2008 , 12:12 AM
Forum Idol

Quote:
Originally Posted by saxman View Post
Protective clothing is a good idea but the good old stiff upper lip brits have been prepared for disaster for many years. There are other things you can do in the ultimate disaster ( many of the Protect & Survive films are pretty creepy now actually )
dude that isn't pretty creepy it's very creepy and disturbing, damn i can't believe stuff like that used to be kept at the post office
Old 10th September 2008 , 12:30 AM

Oh crap - I forgot to strengthen the room under the stairs - hang on a minute - I don't have a room under the stairs! I may gone a while guys - I'm just off to dig up the garden and pile it up against the side of the house, and when I've done that, I'm going to the airport to grab someone's unclaimed luggage so that I can pile it over the ceiling of my "safe room".

Isn't it good to know that in the event of a nuclear attack, I'll be able to live under the stairs surrounded by soil and luggage, before emerging four days later to get toasted by the fallout that's still around, or drink a load of contaminated water and glow like the guys in the Ready Brek adverts!

Were people really gullible enough to believe this crap, and sleep in their beds at night thinking that their government had thought of everything, and we would be safe in the event of nuclear attack!?
Stagesound is offline Offline
Old 10th September 2008 , 06:00 AM
Costa Del Cool

Good morning all. Now. To ask a philosophical question bright and early, if I may...if one does not know that the world is going to end, does it end for them?
sphelan is offline Offline
Old 10th September 2008 , 09:27 AM
Round The Horn

Quote:
Originally Posted by sphelan View Post
Good morning all. Now. To ask a philosophical question bright and early, if I may...if one does not know that the world is going to end, does it end for them?
Ahhh grasshopper, He who finds it too early to ask philosophical questions is not yet awake so good morning to you.
The world as we know it is ending all the time. We bring our understanding of the world around us in to our "now" but our "now" is ended by the time we have thought about it, being replaced by a new moment which is trying to become, or indeed 'has tried' to become, "now" in our consciousness. But if you thought that was confusing then it gets a lot more complicated when you look in to the world of quantum physics.

Here is some light reading from Quantum Time
Quote:
In quantum mechanics, time plays a role unlike any other observable. We find that measuring whether an event happened, and measuring when an event happened are fundamentally different - the two measurements do not correspond to compatible observables and interfere with each other. We also propose a basic limitation on measurements of the arrival time of a free particle given by 1/Ek where Ek is the particle's kinetic energy. The temporal order of events is also an ambiguous concept in quantum mechanics. It is not always possible to determine whether one event lies in the future or past of another event
T minus 5 seconds and counting. T minus 2 seconds and counting. FIRE!!!! "did it work?" "did what work?" "where are we?" T minus 5 seconds and counting.
Old 10th September 2008 , 10:07 AM
Hell-Rider

Lol its the real life half life. as long as we have Gordon Freeman it'll be ok
JAYDMF is offline Offline
Old 10th September 2008 , 10:19 AM

Problem is we donęt have gordon freeman :O *stars to panic*
Old 10th September 2008 , 10:33 AM
Forum Idol

Quote:
Originally Posted by saxman View Post
Ahhh grasshopper, He who finds it too early to ask philosophical questions is not yet awake so good morning to you.
The world as we know it is ending all the time. We bring our understanding of the world around us in to our "now" but our "now" is ended by the time we have thought about it, being replaced by a new moment which is trying to become, or indeed 'has tried' to become, "now" in our consciousness. But if you thought that was confusing then it gets a lot more complicated when you look in to the world of quantum physics.

Here is some light reading from Quantum Time

T minus 5 seconds and counting. T minus 2 seconds and counting. FIRE!!!! "did it work?" "did what work?" "where are we?" T minus 5 seconds and counting.

im going back to bed, youve given me a head ache
Old 10th September 2008 , 11:42 AM
Costa Del Cool

I'm still here...are you guys still there? Has the world ended or not?

And even more importantly, should I make lunch or not? All that quantum physics (even though it was light and low in calories) has still left me feeling peckish!
sphelan is offline Offline
Old 10th September 2008 , 11:46 AM
Round The Horn

Quote:
Originally Posted by sphelan View Post
I'm still here...are you guys still there? Has the world ended or not?
Has the Large Hadron Collider destroyed the earth yet?

Well, it seems the world has not ended but the internet is taking a bit of a strain according to my ISP;
Quote:
OK, I have never heard so much hype over a physics experiment before, and it is not even as if they are colliding anything today.
Anyway, just to say, that over the last hour we have seen very high levels of internet traffic causing some packet loss - much like the Olympics. People streaming video feeds and checking news sites before the world ends!
Closed Thread