DV247 Forums - A Global Community for Music Makers Lowest Price Guaranteed, Free Delivery, Free 3 Year Warranty
Go Back   DV247 Forums - A Global Community for Music Makers > Site Stuff > New Product Suggestions
Forgot Password? Join Us!
Home Register Groups FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Go to DV247.com
New to Forums or just joined? Why not start your journey here?

New Product Suggestions Are they any products or brands you think Digital Village should stock?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 3rd April 2011 , 08:33 AM
Uber Member

Default Loyalty Points?

Not really a product suggestion but you don't get unless you ask.

Has DV ever thought of doing this to keep people coming back and to reward people for doing so?

I came across a place that does this recently when i made a fairly large purchase and i now find myself scanning their site for one of my next purchases so i can either add to what i already have earned in loyalty points or use them against that purchase. It only works out 1% back on your purchase but when you're spending over the year, it can add up.

Every little helps as Tesco's like to tell us.

These are the kinda things that would encourage me to return anyway.
Piano is offline Offline
Old 3rd April 2011 , 11:31 AM
Sound Guru

I've said it before and will say it again - any program that costs money to administer like that will eventually have an effect on prices. Having had a glance at one of the "other" sites that has a loyalty program, 99.9% of their products have a higher price than DV's to start with. Even if you factor in a 1% "cash discount" you're still paying more. And where DV are higher, in my experience they almost always beat (and in the remainder of scenarios have at least matched) the better price. That's all the incentive I need!

Not throwing cold water on the idea but really for me the gimmickry of that kind of stuff generally outweighs the benefit to me - the REAL benefit is to DV, obviously, and in the end it won't be to the consumer's best interest. Just my 2p though (+ 2% cashback if you subscribe to my opinion) !
Old 3rd April 2011 , 04:23 PM
Uber Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitecat View Post
I've said it before and will say it again - any program that costs money to administer like that will eventually have an effect on prices. Having had a glance at one of the "other" sites that has a loyalty program, 99.9% of their products have a higher price than DV's to start with. Even if you factor in a 1% "cash discount" you're still paying more. And where DV are higher, in my experience they almost always beat (and in the remainder of scenarios have at least matched) the better price. That's all the incentive I need!

Not throwing cold water on the idea but really for me the gimmickry of that kind of stuff generally outweighs the benefit to me - the REAL benefit is to DV, obviously, and in the end it won't be to the consumer's best interest. Just my 2p though (+ 2% cashback if you subscribe to my opinion) !
I'm sorry mate, but to say that 99.9% of DV's stock are cheaper than the "other" site i am talking about that offers this is nonsense. I would be interested to know what site you looked at because i actually haven't found ANY music site that 99.9% of DV's stock is cheaper than. I find most of them are much and the same. Some things cheaper, some more expensive and most, if not ALL, will match another retailer if you ask them so i would argue you've just plucked a figure out of the air on that one and the price match is not exclusive to DV. You'll find that most of them will price match or beat.

I personally find myself buying from most of the other retailers these days because one, they allow payment by paypal free of charge, and two, things like Loyalty points are always a welcome bonus and i am NOT paying more for these privileges. In fact i recently paid less then DV were advertising for the same product and also received 9.50 Loyalty points. Sure it may not be a lot, but over the course of the year it will come in handy.

Sure DV is a great store and offers great choice, but I've said before i think they are lagging behind other retailers on these fronts. They are certainly losing my custom on a lot of things for the reasons i've stated.

I wonder what evidence there is to suggest that Loyalty points would cause an increase to prices.
Piano is offline Offline
Last edited by Piano; 3rd April 2011 at 04:26 PM. . <
Old 3rd April 2011 , 09:10 PM
Sound Guru

I can't type the names of the sites that do loyalty programs (that I find tend to be more expensive) - the forum here will censor them - but one is a US state and the other rhymes with Sanderson's. If there are others I'm not aware of them or they're not coming front-of-mind (which says something).

The latter rarely price matches, at least they haven't for me, so I've shopped elsewhere - and it's usually DV, because I always get "custom" quotes etc from them anyway. It's funny too because "Sanderson's" has a big "seen a better price?" icon on their site, which brings up a big list of "it's not always about price!" reasons and lets you contact them anyway. Three times I've attempted to do this they came back and said "no." So I spent my money elsewhere.

Also FWIW rarely do I buy anything "direct" from DV's website unless it's B-stock or a 'clearance' item. I ring 'em directly.

The Paypal thing is a separate issue, to be fair, and one that they indeed may want to address/redress if it's an issue, but I don't use PP with them.
Old 3rd April 2011 , 09:55 PM

I only buy gear if and when i can afford it.
I mostly always pay in cash
I order the odd thing online...and sometimes use paypal.
If i pay by cash i will always ask for a pay by cash discount.
This has been between nothing or up to 25% so far, off goods.
I seem to find things like loyalty points/systems are just a sales ploy..
Barter is the key i think
If you buy lots of gear from a particular store ask them for a discount and tell them to look at how much you`ve spent with them in the past..
You may be suprised...........
inderface is offline Offline
Old 3rd April 2011 , 10:16 PM

Tesco's original loyalty programme was dropped because it was costing 20 million each year and the owner preferred to "pile 'em high, sell 'em cheap" so there is evidence to be found of the cost of administering loyalty programmes. And to what effect? I have at least 4 supermarket loyalty cards, demonstrating that loyalty plays no part in it whatsoever.

I wonder whether DV247 considers itself a "pile 'em high, sell 'em cheap" retailer. Certainly it is easier now we have the internet to hunt around and find who offers the cheapest price - only to be caught out sometimes by the higher delivery charges! My experience of DV247 is that it provides excellent service, something you do not expect at a self-service supermarket. DV247 has my loyalty because: (a) the web site makes it easy to check stock and prices, (b) the prices are reasonable, and (c) when things go wrong (only once for me that I can remember) I have found that DV247's customer service really proves its worth and has done more to gain my loyalty than any loyalty card, loyalty points scheme or a 1% discount ever could.
Lester is offline Offline
Old 4th April 2011 , 05:45 AM
Uber Member

Fair enough! Just thought it might have been an idea.
Piano is offline Offline