DV247 Forums - A Global Community for Music Makers Lowest Price Guaranteed, Free Delivery, Free 3 Year Warranty
Go Back   DV247 Forums - A Global Community for Music Makers > Site Stuff > New Product Suggestions
Forgot Password? Join Us!
Home Register Groups FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Go to DV247.com
New to Forums or just joined? Why not start your journey here?

New Product Suggestions Are they any products or brands you think Digital Village should stock?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 24th June 2010 , 12:23 AM
Son of 'Z'

Default Studio Furniture options

Just a thought this.

Would it be feasible for DV to launch their own line of Studio Furniture. I'm currently looking at options and so far nothing is hitting the mark. Its either too normal/bedroom or priced ridiculously. Even things like mdf boxes for holding storing records are upwards of 20 or 40, depending on the size you are after.

So it looks like a day or so of planning for myself, followed by a trip to the sawmill with some plans and then a few days building. I just hope I get finished in time to get the whole room done before I go away. I have walls to strip, paper to put up, other furniture to build, light sockets and fittings to change etc...lol
EdRyan is offline Offline
Old 24th June 2010 , 05:19 AM
Uber Member

I think that would be a really good idea. I think the quik-lok stuff is pretty good but if you're looking for something a little more robust, i don't think there's much out there that isn't on the expensive side.
Piano is offline Offline
Old 24th June 2010 , 08:24 AM
Tarnce Monkey

I've looked into this at length and the pre-made options are ridiculously overpriced.

I think MDF and self build is definately the way forward and it's what i'll be doing after the move.

The idea of having integrated 19" racking is appealing to me.
tehlord is offline Offline
Old 24th June 2010 , 09:37 AM
Forum Poet

Some who make furniture on Ebay are flexible and will alter sizes and things and they are reasonable value. Ikea is great for desks as they are built like tanks and cheap. For proper studio desks, the online German store do the best price. Furniture is not only expensive, it's not easy to find. It's surprising that there's so much available for the home studio but furniture is such a small area.
Old 24th June 2010 , 10:21 PM
Son of 'Z'

Well. A stroke of luck. It might not be the prettiest vinyl storage solution and needs a minor bit of work to get it into shape....but it will hold 400+ records.

I popped to Homebase today and found a plastic shelving unit. 2 shelves..about the right width (so I thought in the shop) for holding records and just about sturdy enough for the job...the price...13

This is the bigger version, which I think instore is knocked down to 21-ish or less

Now...the snag is that they are marginally too wide to hold the records. So tomorrow I will be getting 4 pieces of wood cut to bookend either end of the shelves. Screw these in...and I'm laughing. That's most of my problem solved. I still have some records loose but not enough to fill one of these.and one of these would take up too much space in my plans. So I might suffer the rip off of buying a final mdf box just to get this tidyed up and out of the way.

Interestingly, Homebase also sell large pieces of wood from upwards of about 20...that could make a few boxes from one sheet.. They also offer a free cutting service. Meaning that all you have to do is drill the wood and screw together...or a better option is to get the edges machined to lock together to add strength...then wood glue them together followed by drilling and screwing. I didn't ask if they could machine the edge...you might have to look at a sawmill to get that level of service.

Either way...A heck of a lot cheaper then prefab'd boxes.
EdRyan is offline Offline
Old 24th June 2010 , 10:27 PM
Keeper o' the Keys!

Ed, I can tell you from experience, that if you get Homebase to cut the MDF for you, you will have a good enough edge to simply glue your boxes together with standard PVA woodglue as long as you clamp them while they glue sets up... no need for machined edges and certainly no need for screws. The boxes will be indestructable and if you deliberately tried to destroy them, the MDF itself will break before the glued joints do. The floor standing rack and the legs of my studio console are all built with simply glued MDF and they are rock solid.
Old 24th June 2010 , 10:29 PM
Forum Poet

I bought a shelving unit - metal frame etc and I changed the shelves for MDF - which doesn't bend - unlike the shelves you get - cut to a slightly more generous width - and did my Blue Peter sticky back plastic tip - as seen on all makeover shows - not that I watch them - ok I've seen a few - ok plenty but I'll deny it in public.
Old 24th June 2010 , 10:32 PM
Round The Horn

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdRyan View Post
Would it be feasible for DV to launch their own line of Studio Furniture. I'm currently looking at options and so far nothing is hitting the mark. Its either too normal/bedroom or priced ridiculously. Even things like mdf boxes for holding storing records are upwards of 20 or 40, depending on the size you are after.
I personally doubt that it is feasible for DV to consider such a launch. If it was to be low priced stuff then I don't imagine the profit margin would justify the logistics of stocking it. If was to be high priced quality stuff then they already stock some;
http://www.dv247.com/dj-equipment/se...-walnut--52405
saxman is offline Offline
Old 25th June 2010 , 09:21 AM
Administrator

@Ed, I've got a similar metal rack (with a set of mdf 'book-end's on the bottom shelf) that holds a set of 'the best of' vinyls actually in my studio. One snag is that the weight of the records can, and has, slightly pulled the unit to one side. Not a major issue as a neighbouring bookshelf is helping to keep it straight, but keep an eye on that..