DV247 Forums - A Global Community for Music Makers Lowest Price Guaranteed, Free Delivery, Free 3 Year Warranty
Go Back   DV247 Forums - A Global Community for Music Makers > Music Equipment Discussion > Music Software
Forgot Password? Join Us!
Home Register Groups FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Go to DV247.com
New to Forums or just joined? Why not start your journey here?

Music Software Virtual instruments, plug-ins, effects, audio-editing, processing & scoring software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 31st August 2008 , 04:56 PM
Son of 'Z'

Default Question Re Soundtrack Pro bounces

Just wondered if anyone could help me.

I used Soundtrack Pro for a change to record something. I'm not trying to export the file as a stereo 24/48 file.

The problem is that itsn't doing exporting stereo files. It's doing everything as 5.1...

How do I stop this. I can't see any bounce options to either enable or disable it ?
EdRyan is offline Offline
Old 31st August 2008 , 05:15 PM
Sound Guru

Angry Aaarrrrgghhh to soundtrack "pro!"

Didn't mean to reply to this with a rant, but here you go.

For fun, I opened up Soundtrack Pro just to see if I could find a solution to your problem. It's been a while since I used it due mostly to instability, random hangs/crashes, just general odd behaviour.

First of all, it took about seven minutes just to scan my plug-ins.

Then I went to open a 2 channel WAV file (24/48) to replicate your scenario.

Beachball! Left the computer for a while but all that happened was the beachball continued and the CPU fan came on.

Force quit, did it again.

ANOTHER plug-in rescan. At least Logic only rescans when it detects new additions.

Anyway, through all that, same thing when I imported a file (different one, just in case it was a file problem). Beachball, hang, force quit.

So now I remember why I never touch STP anymore. It's just as useless to me as it has ever been.

Do yourself a favour and spend 40 for Audiofile Engineering's Wave Editor. It used to be $250 USD but they reduced the price last week and are actually increasing the functionality. It's a stellar program which even does DDP filesets, which is a pricey addition to BIAS or Sonic Studio software.

Audiofile Engineering - Wave Editor

Rant over! Sorry if I didn't help you any...
whitecat is offline Offline
Old 1st September 2008 , 12:50 AM
Son of 'Z'

Hmm. I'm sorry to hear you don't like it. I think it's quite a good app. The interface isn't as friendly as Logic or any of the Pro Apps that Apple make. In particular, I dislike how the mixer and effects work.

Its probably something I'm doing. When I find out, I will post up the answer.

I've never liked Bias. If I could wish for anything on a mac... it would be Soundforge lol
Old 1st September 2008 , 01:36 PM
Son of 'Z'

Edit. I dislike it now. It gave me lots of problems last night. Namely, playing the file in the timeline, but freezing the head and giving me a beachball. So I went to force quit, and just as it's about to close...everything unlocks and starts working again.
Old 1st September 2008 , 01:41 PM
Sound Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdRyan View Post
Edit. I dislike it now. It gave me lots of problems last night. Namely, playing the file in the timeline, but freezing the head and giving me a beachball. So I went to force quit, and just as it's about to close...everything unlocks and starts working again.
I'll just repost that link for your convenience...

Audiofile Engineering - Wave Editor

Seriously, take the demo for a spin. It could come in very handy when you start doing your vinyl captures too, as it's got the arguably the best sample rate conversion and dithering that exists.
Old 1st September 2008 , 02:46 PM
Son of 'Z'

that is a very big claim there young man. How the devil do you plan to back that up.

Am I right in believing its powered by Izotope's engine ?
Old 1st September 2008 , 02:52 PM
Sound Guru

Quote:
that is a very big claim there young man. How the devil do you plan to back that up.

Am I right in believing its powered by Izotope's engine ?
Sort of the SRC is iZotope 64-bit SRC and the dither is iZotope MBIT+ (formerly known as MegaBit Max) dither.

Here's what the SRC LOOKS like anyway...

http://src.infinitewave.ca

And have a look here for a dither shootout...

24-96 Mastering - Dither
Last edited by whitecat; 1st September 2008 at 02:54 PM. . <
Old 1st September 2008 , 08:30 PM
Son of 'Z'

Hmm it looks like a nice engine. That said RX looks even better. The results for the steeper RX setting are pretty much approaching ideal passband conditions...good lord ! Even SRC outperforms logic in this respect..

sold. Will purchase it when I'm back off my holiday. Add it to the list of Reason4, Ableton upgrade, Cubase Upgrade... I need a better job !
Old 1st September 2008 , 10:56 PM
Sound Guru

Quote:
Hmm it looks like a nice engine. That said RX looks even better. The results for the steeper RX setting are pretty much approaching ideal passband conditions...good lord ! Even SRC outperforms logic in this respect..

sold. Will purchase it when I'm back off my holiday. Add it to the list of Reason4, Ableton upgrade, Cubase Upgrade... I need a better job !
RX shouldn't really be "better" in any respect other than the fact that of course it does various noise reduction procedures.

WRT the graphs you're lookin' at... the SRC in Wave Editor is editable/customisable and you can probably match whatever it is that RX is doing. All the same algos are present!