DV247 Forums - A Global Community for Music Makers Lowest Price Guaranteed, Free Delivery, Free 3 Year Warranty
Go Back   DV247 Forums - A Global Community for Music Makers > Music Equipment Discussion > Music Software
Forgot Password? Join Us!
Home Register Groups FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Go to DV247.com
New to Forums or just joined? Why not start your journey here?

Music Software Virtual instruments, plug-ins, effects, audio-editing, processing & scoring software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 9th August 2008 , 06:19 PM

Default Best plugins for mastering

Subject says it all
reloaded southern is offline Offline
Old 9th August 2008 , 06:58 PM
Keeper o' the Keys!

I rather like to use Izotope Ozone, mostly for compression and limiting. I then tend to use HarBal for final EQ tweaks.
Old 9th August 2008 , 09:00 PM

yh i like izotope, waves platinum bundle i hear is also good, but complicated to use though

Old 9th August 2008 , 10:10 PM
Sound Guru

Tough call. Mastering needs both transparency and mojo that plug-ins don't quite achieve.

That said, I'm actually a fan of plug-in EQs for premastering, but not dynamics - they're not there yet in the digital world.

I use SSL's Duende X-EQ and PSP Neon HR for this sort of thing.

For dynamics, I have the SSL X-Comp which IMHO is as good as it gets in plug-ins - it's indeed very good, but I much prefer running stuff through hardware when it comes to comps. I'll use the SSL G comp on the 2-buss for flavour, but for the actual premaster (when necessary) it's my tfpro P38 or my DAV BG6.

There's generally a plug-in limiter at the end of the chain though. In Pro Tools, if it's a quick n' dirty mix, it's the Massey L2007. It varies if it's in an actual premastering application like Peak Pro XT or Wave Editor - I'll often try a bunch to see which sounds best. It's generally used just for some final fattening and to catch overs. Good metering is also essential at this stage.

The best mastering, though, is accomplished when someone else does it.
whitecat is offline Offline
Old 10th August 2008 , 07:44 AM
Rave Digga

t-racks is very very good and dv247 are selling it very very cheap at the minute ..IK Multimedia ULTIMATE MASTERING BUNDLE at DV247.COM

in fact the deal at dv247 is much better than the manufacturers deal on there own website !!

T-RackS
waxxy is offline Offline
Old 10th August 2008 , 09:57 AM

i don't like t racks.... not transparent at all.
i usually use some stereo imagin, multiband comp, eq and limiting... but very minor touches. if i have to use too much of any of those... i haven't mixed it properly.

as for the plugins... bluetubes, and usually waves c4. ozotope is good.
i agree with terminal that mastering plugins don't have that sparkle that hardware offers... plus i think dat tape adds allot to the sound..
Dreamfullofzen is offline Offline
Old 10th August 2008 , 11:18 AM
Sound Guru

T-Racks is long in the tooth, unfortunately, and although I still sometimes use those plug-ins for track colour, they don't make good mastering tools despite what IK's marketing would have you believe.

HOWEVER: good job in pointing out that deal Waxxy - because the CSR is well worth the price of entry alone. It's one of the best reverb plug-ins going. Reverb is a rare (although not unheard of) mastering tool but if anyone's looking for a good stereo mixing verb, that should be a serious contender, especially at that price!
Last edited by whitecat; 10th August 2008 at 03:22 PM. . <
Old 10th August 2008 , 02:03 PM
Rave Digga

i know t-racks is old now but it is used loads within the dance community because it gives a fatness too beats that other pluggins cant quite give.ive used loads of pluggins that can give you the so called fat factor but too me none can touch t-racks the only one which i feel is better are the uad pluggins but you need a uad card too run them.Universal Audio UAD-Xpander Xpress DSP Card at DV247.COM

some of the biggest users of t-racks are bt and darren styles ,,darren styles uses it loads on nearly every channel to give extra power too kiks,snares and basslines ..compressors are a weird one really because every person has a personel favourte and no one will agree which is best its best you try them out and pick which one you feel suits your music best.

most plugins have demo versions on the net download loads then pick which one you like best.
waxxy is offline Offline
Old 10th August 2008 , 03:58 PM

this thread has been very useful,
and i agree with dream....t-racks is useless in my mide, it doesnt give me that polish on my beats that im looking for

wat do people think of prosoniq??
reloaded southern is offline Offline
Old 10th August 2008 , 05:09 PM

Im no mastering engineer, but I like to use izotope ozone for final polishing on my tracks
conor_j is offline Offline
Old 12th August 2008 , 12:15 PM

I am currently trying the wavearts plugins, trackplug5 & Finalplug 5. They are pretty good. Im testing them next to Izotope to compare & theres not a great difference.

You can get the powersuite at dv247 for 349.99 which includes both of the above + 3 other audio processors. Wave Arts Power Suite 5 at DV247.COM
Benoit is offline Offline
Old 12th August 2008 , 12:33 PM
Sound Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benoit View Post
I am currently trying the wavearts plugins, trackplug5 & Finalplug 5. They are pretty good. Im testing them next to Izotope to compare & theres not a great difference.

You can get the powersuite at dv247 for 349.99 which includes both of the above + 3 other audio processors. Wave Arts Power Suite 5 at DV247.COM
The Wave Arts stuff is good - I personally don't use them in premastering situations but they're an excellent value-for-money "all-purpose" bundle with a great core set of tools that are easy to use and sound good too. Would be a great starter pack for someone who can't afford the Sonnox bundle, for example. It was one of the first third party plug-in bundles I got and they still find their way into my mixes to this day.

The compressor is multiband, too, which is a nice plus. Exercise caution though using MB compression in mastering - sometimes it's necessary, but it's easy to wreck stuff with it!

DV need to update that page though to get rid of the promo that expired over 18 months ago...
Last edited by whitecat; 12th August 2008 at 12:36 PM. . <
Old 14th August 2008 , 08:31 PM
Mic Check 1!

The UAD Precision Mastering series is excellent but you need the card to run them (esp now they've stopped supporting TDM).

Of course you could always get yourself a card right here:

http://www.dv247.com/invt/21441/

TrevCircleStudios is offline Offline
Old 14th August 2008 , 08:40 PM
Keeper o' the Keys!

I use the UAD Precision Bus Limiter, though in this instance use it for compressing groups and stereo buss in a mix... only bought it last month but already really like it... will most likely buy the rest of the bundle as soon as UA do another half price sale
Old 14th August 2008 , 08:42 PM
Mic Check 1!

At this point it's worth holding out for the Xmas plugin sale... they always knock loads off (US Thanksgiving sale is usually good too)
TrevCircleStudios is offline Offline