DV247 Forums - A Global Community for Music Makers Lowest Price Guaranteed, Free Delivery, Free 3 Year Warranty
Go Back   DV247 Forums - A Global Community for Music Makers > Music Equipment Discussion > Music Software
Forgot Password? Join Us!
Home Register Groups FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Go to DV247.com
New to Forums or just joined? Why not start your journey here?

Music Software Virtual instruments, plug-ins, effects, audio-editing, processing & scoring software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 28th September 2009 , 05:46 PM

Cool Pro Logic vs. Cubase???

Im about to get into music prodution, for mainly personal use,but Im totally green, dont have the foggiest idea on where to start, so I'd like some advice on which program is best, can anyone help??
Tubbalicious is offline Offline
Old 28th September 2009 , 05:52 PM
Uber Member

Demo's demo's demo's. Both these programs have pros and cons, best advice is to download demos of the two, and any others, and try them. Read through the forums of each and watch videos online. Personally I use Cubase, but I don't have a mac, and have always liked the look of Logic (even if it is one of 'Their' products-shudder).
On a bit of a note I will say you need to stick with Cubase if you get it, it seems a little uncoordinated (apparently not such a problem with 5) but once you cracked it its not as hard as it originally seemed.

But yeah, grab demos-its all about personal choice and noone can advise you on that better than you!!
Old 28th September 2009 , 07:06 PM
Mic Check 1!

I agree with the above save for the fact there is no demo for protools. Would you be making music in the box with soft instruments or recording real instruments?
Old 28th September 2009 , 07:16 PM
Tarnce Monkey

Pro Logic = Logic I'm guessing?

I've heard that Cubase doesn't run to well on the Mac and Logic is Mac only so you're choosing between formats more than anything. Both programs are extremely similar in workflow and features.

Other than that it's a case of budget, music style, how much musical knowledge do you have, and then budget again.
tehlord is offline Offline
Old 29th September 2009 , 08:32 AM
Administrator

No demo for Logic either..

Aside from the usual advice offered on the internet and book reading/research (plus numerous threads here on the Forums), if you can get to one, why not visit one of the DV stores? The chaps there are more than helpful and will talk about your needs, offer suggestions, and show you the programs working on site. Could be the best day's investment you'll make on the road ahead..

http://www.dv247.com/page/Stores
Old 29th September 2009 , 09:03 AM

Smile

Thanks everyone!
Tubbalicious is offline Offline
Old 29th September 2009 , 09:16 AM
Sound Guru

This is the closest thing to a demo for Pro Tools that exists.

Apple makes "Logic Express" as well (is it available in a version 9 yet?) which is a cut-down version of Logic Pro. You can always start with that and upgrade later if you need to, or if you hate it it's not difficult to sell/transfer ownership. (just not allowed on THIS forum. )
Old 29th September 2009 , 11:11 AM
Pushing the Envelope

Remember, there are a number of low cost alternative and free solutions, such as Reaper.

http://www.reaper.fm/
mutilatedlip is offline Offline
Old 29th September 2009 , 02:30 PM
Son of 'Z'

I found Cubase easier to get to a deepish level. But Logic's environment is far more powerful and customisable. It still confuses me. One thing I do miss from Cubase are the built in midi processors such as midi echo...and the arpeggio is a lot easier then Logic.

Programming options aside (most people don't want to get this far into their apps), it all depends on which version of Cubase you are going to go for. The cheaper cut down versions really do miss quite a lot.

Overall, Logic feels more like a complete solution then Cubase. It may not have the fancy melodyne-esque or loop-mash effects, but on every other count it wins hands down. It has more instruments, a bigger library of presets and content. Cubase's bundled effects were also ridiculed quite often, although from the feedback I've heard from people they are much improved in V4 & 5. Of constant praise is Reverence, which as Reverbs go looks pretty comprehensive.

I wouldn't recommend the 'home' versions of Protools. I view their hardware interfaces as giant dongles. Useless for audio, but great at copy protection. In studio spec, Protools is great for recording audio, but overly restrictive at everything else. This is especially the case for their home systems. 3rd party plugs tend to be expensive, virtual instruments are numbered (and Digi's are again..expensive), they make you buy extra ability such as increased track count and mp3 export..
EdRyan is offline Offline
Old 6th October 2009 , 11:17 AM

If i had a PC id use cubase , if i had a MAC id use logic.....

Theres not a track i could make in one that i couldn't make in the other....

Being a Mac owner having your Computer , OS and DAW all made by the same firm seems to make sense to me and that is why i use Logic

for example a update tweek to the OS might of been performed to help logic however its understandable Apple would't tweek the OS to help cubase.
cane creek is offline Offline
Last edited by cane creek; 6th October 2009 at 11:20 AM. . <
Old 6th October 2009 , 11:22 AM
Forum Idol

get ableton 8
http://twitter.com/djsureno
sureno is offline Offline
Old 7th October 2009 , 11:23 PM

Default PT 8 and Cubase 5

I have used Cubase Le, then upgraded to SE, then upgraded to SL, then upgraded to Cubase 4 and then Upgraded to Cubase 5.

Then this year I sold Cubase 5 and bought Pro Tools Le 8.

I actually repurchased an upgrade from Cubase SE to Cubase 5 Essential to get some of the functionality back that I was used to from Cubase 5, mostly for Mixing down the final tracks, and other smaller things.

But by far, for myself anyway, Pro Tools is actually more professional sounding in the rtas Instruments (instead of vst instruments) right from the beginning.

It's a different recording/mixing style than in Cubase, but I got used to it in a few days. I kept wanting to hit F3 for my Transport, grins. (Ctrl/keypad 1 in Pro Tools).

I've used Propellerhead Reason, and I beta tested Propellerhead 'Record' recently. Both Record and Pro Tools feels and looks like a real professional recording studio tool.

I do record some audio, but mostly I use these for drawing out/editing midi songs, square by square.

I'm having much more fun in Pro Tools, the instruments available are professional sounding right off.

The nice thing in Cubase is the instrument tracks presets. And the presets for different effects. They have a dozen or so for each instrument, variations, like different guitars or organs. Just choose a track preset and it brings up the vst instrument and the effects set already on the track. Then you just record or draw out your midi.

I don't care what other professional opinions are that most people share out there. I am only speaking about my personal editing and recording and mixing style.

I would have to say if you really are strapped for cash. Buy Pro Tools Le and you'll never look back. And in either case I would also suggest buying Cubase 5 Essential at least. But that's not really good, because the instruments and effects you won't have access to are the good parts of Cubase 5. So I'd have to say save and buy Cubase 5 and you won't regret that either.

Once you get used to it the new vst3 effects in Cubase 5 are amazing to use. You can take a simple single tone from any synthesizer and use the Cubase effects alone (Arpache, doubler, detuner, arp, ... etc.) and create entirely complex and new and rich sounds with them.,

So, saying a professional can take anything and make something good with it, I would say the professional would easily make something better by far on the Pro Tools than on the Cubase 5.

I wish you well,
Chuck
cboyer1951 is offline Offline
Old 8th October 2009 , 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cboyer1951 View Post

I would have to say if you really are strapped for cash. Buy Pro Tools Le and you'll never look back.
Would i be right in saying 'Pro tools Le' dictates what audio interface im aloud to use ?

if thats the case id rather use Logic,cubase,sonar,live,digial performer,reaper with no such restrictions.

so if you were strapped for cash "Reaper" would seem the obvious choice.
cane creek is offline Offline
Last edited by cane creek; 8th October 2009 at 08:26 AM. . <
Old 20th October 2009 , 05:36 PM

Default music production

Depends on what computer you have. If none, buy an Imac and Logic 9. If you have the cash then Mac Pro. Cubase has kinda lost it's way compared to other DAWs. If you have a lot of tracks already down and ready for mixing and mastering then perhaps Pro Tools. Logic provides the most complete music production tool
Grey Sunday is offline Offline
Old 9th November 2009 , 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureno View Post
get ableton 8
Oh yeah ! Ableton Live 8 or Logic Studio !