DV247 Forums - A Global Community for Music Makers Lowest Price Guaranteed, Free Delivery, Free 3 Year Warranty
Go Back   DV247 Forums - A Global Community for Music Makers > Music Equipment Discussion > Music Software
Forgot Password? Join Us!
Home Register Groups FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Go to DV247.com
New to Forums or just joined? Why not start your journey here?

Music Software Virtual instruments, plug-ins, effects, audio-editing, processing & scoring software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 26th September 2008 , 12:02 PM

Default Spectrasonics Omnisphere - The Ultimate Review!

Hi all

Firstly, I want to give thanks to all my peers on this forum, who have been no less than highly reputable contributors, friends and assistants to this - IMO - epitome of music forums! You are all very much admired.

Now, down to the important stuff...

I am totally blown away by winning Omnisphere - a softsynth of unparalleled capability and magnitude. I am flattered by the decision and give massive thanks to the moderators for recognsing my efforts. I'm still in shock!!

To make my win truly deserved, I would like to provide you all with a comprehensive lowdown of Omnisphere. This is not me trying to tread on T3's beautiful toes; but I feel like it's my duty (being the winner and everything)... and I'd like to give back to the forum generously. Besides, I'm totally looking forward to firing her up!

Here's what you can expect:
  • A full, unbiased review of Omnisphere's package content, software, samples, etc.
  • Tests on varying systems and host packages (not long winded CPU performance crud you get on the net; just about how well Omnisphere performs (and no graphs either))
  • Example audio
  • FULL COLOUR pics
  • And bonus bits on building my very own patches!

If there's anything else you think needs mentioning, just let me know!

Once again, thanks to everyone for being superb forum colleagues.

Matt
Last edited by mrfracas; 26th September 2008 at 12:04 PM. . <
Old 26th September 2008 , 12:22 PM
Forum Idol

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrfracas View Post
Hi all

Firstly, I want to give thanks to all my peers on this forum, who have been no less than highly reputable contributors, friends and assistants to this - IMO - epitome of music forums! You are all very much admired.

I am totally blown away by winning Omnisphere - a softsynth of unparalleled capability and magnitude. I am flattered by the decision and give massive thanks to the moderators for recognsing my efforts. I'm still in shock!!

To make my win truly deserved, I would like to provide you all with a comprehensive lowdown of Omnisphere. This is not me trying to tread on T3's beautiful toes; but I feel like it's my duty (being the winner and everything)... and I'd like to give back to the forum generously. Besides, I'm totally looking forward to firing her up!
Some ones got a foot fetish

Sounds great matt looking forward to it, be sure to knock out some presets for the home grown section
http://twitter.com/djsureno
sureno is offline Offline
Old 26th September 2008 , 12:36 PM
Costa Del Cool

Congratulations again Matt and that looks like it's going to be a pretty thorough test drive of Omnisphere. Your opinions, like those of T3, will be highly valued by all here on the forums. Keep us posted!!
sphelan is offline Offline
Old 26th September 2008 , 04:57 PM

A huge congrat's to you matt.
FRETPICK is offline Offline
Last edited by FRETPICK; 26th September 2008 at 05:00 PM. . <
Old 29th September 2008 , 04:36 PM
Forum Scribe

Quote:
Hi all

Here's what you can expect:
  • A full, unbiased review of Omnisphere's package content, software, samples, etc.
  • Tests on varying systems and host packages (not long winded CPU performance crud you get on the net; just about how well Omnisphere performs (and no graphs either))
  • Example audio
  • FULL COLOUR pics
  • And bonus bits on building my very own patches!

If there's anything else you think needs mentioning, just let me know!

Once again, thanks to everyone for being superb forum colleagues.

Matt
Nice. Looking forward to the review.
Monarch is offline Offline
Old 30th September 2008 , 09:39 AM

Likewise, looking forward to reading the review matt, between yours and T3's im sure the board will benifit from some really useful user feedback
conor_j is offline Offline
Old 30th September 2008 , 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by conor_j View Post
Likewise, looking forward to reading the review matt, between yours and T3's im sure the board will benifit from some really useful user feedback
You bet!!
Old 30th September 2008 , 05:15 PM

Okay Gang...

Omnisphere has arrived today (Yay indeed); so, tells will be underway shortly!

Unfortunately, the poor better-half has had further issues re: wisdom teeth. As she puts it, the ghost of the tooth has come back to punish her. So there have been plenty of tears, and prescriptions, and hospital trips, and mashed potato this week and the weekend prior. This gives me time to stay in her company and play with my new toy (as well as work ).

So, though you won't see me on here much these next few days, I will be playing hard to get you good results!

All the best... Gang*!!

* That's your collective name from now on!
Old 30th September 2008 , 05:27 PM
Forum Idol

Quote:
Okay Gang...

Omnisphere has arrived today (Yay indeed); so, tells will be underway shortly!

Unfortunately, the poor better-half has had further issues re: wisdom teeth. As she puts it, the ghost of the tooth has come back to punish her. So there have been plenty of tears, and prescriptions, and hospital trips, and mashed potato this week and the weekend prior. This gives me time to stay in her company and play with my new toy (as well as work ).

So, though you won't see me on here much these next few days, I will be playing hard to get you good results!

All the best... Gang*!!

* That's your collective name from now on!
Can't wait to read your review Matt, mine SHOULD be here thursday so il be pretty busy myself and give you guys a break for an hour or so mind
Old 30th September 2008 , 07:26 PM
Son of 'Z'

Coolio. I think they tried to drop the UAD off today.

It might take a bit longer to get my efforts up though. I'm still pondering the best way of integrating my PC rig in with my mac stuff.

I saw Omnisphere in the flesh yesterday. It looked the dog's proverbial bits !!
EdRyan is offline Offline
Old 1st October 2008 , 07:21 PM
Forum Scribe

Another Omnisphere update (1.0.1e) is announced. Thats at least 3 updates since it's release 2 weeks ago!
Old 1st October 2008 , 07:27 PM
Forum Idol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monarch View Post
Another Omnisphere update (1.0.1e) is announced. Thats at least 3 updates since it's release 2 weeks ago!
very efficient company mine is coming tomorrow
Old 1st October 2008 , 07:52 PM
Forum Scribe

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureno View Post
very efficient company mine is coming tomorrow
Heh..looking forward to a Sureno Omnisphere review. It will be interesting to contrast your experiences with Terminal 3 and mrfracas
Old 1st October 2008 , 07:57 PM
Forum Idol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monarch View Post
Heh..looking forward to a Sureno Omnisphere review. It will be interesting to contrast your experiences with Terminal 3 and mrfracas
yeah baby yeah no doubt been swatting up on the groove lock feature, how ever was thinking it want me much use for a house beat unless you get freaky with the hats maybe???
Old 2nd October 2008 , 04:58 PM
Forum Scribe

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureno View Post
yeah baby yeah no doubt been swatting up on the groove lock feature, how ever was thinking it want me much use for a house beat unless you get freaky with the hats maybe???
I think it can easily handle House or pretty much any other genre...it just depends how you use it. When Eric did a demo of Groove Lock he used different genres to illustrates it's flexibility so really it must be able to handle House.

RMX has a really helpful reference manual that is a great help. It goes into detail about all sorts of things I thought I knew very well but really did not know much about. Like Edit groups.

Omni has a similar Reference manual / Guide that can be accessed from the Utility menu (click the disc icon, top left).

I am sure there is a lot more to groove lock than meets the eye...if you have not already done so it will probably well worth reading up a bit on it. My guess is you have already done so to some degree, ..have you seen this video...?

...it's a bit more extended than the Video that discusses the arp on Omnispheres official site. That video is useful but a good deal of it is taken up discussing historical points. The You tube video above is a bit more detailed.