DV247 Forums - A Global Community for Music Makers Lowest Price Guaranteed, Free Delivery, Free 3 Year Warranty
Go Back   DV247 Forums - A Global Community for Music Makers > Technique > Mastering
Forgot Password? Join Us!
Home Register Groups FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Go to DV247.com
New to Forums or just joined? Why not start your journey here?

Mastering Get your stuff to sound right on your target medium

View Poll Results: To Master or Not To Master?
Always use a final mastering treatment 2 40.00%
Never use a final mastering treatment 0 0%
Use with care depending on circumstances 3 60.00%
Voters: 5. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
LinkBack (2) Thread Tools Display Modes
  2 links from elsewhere to this Post. Click to view. #1 (permalink)  
Old 23rd June 2008 , 04:04 PM
Member
 
cut_N_paste's Avatar
          
           
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Yorkshire
Posts: 86
Default Mastering for release/broadcast - Is there an absolute answer?

In this 21st century music world where we can now, with relative ease and without a major label backing us, get our tunes/songs out to a listening (or indeed 'purchasing') audience, just how do we stand about mastering final mixes? It seems if our output is to go to a 'label' for release, they may, or may not get it professionally mastered. If 'we' go to release on our own independent label for example, what is the criteria to meet..using the numerous soft/hardware options available?
  1. Loud, Loud and Loud.. with more Loudness?
  2. A Dynamic Brickwall?
  3. Bright 'n Low?
  4. Bigger and badder than the other blokes..?
It seems a catch all scenario is to print 2 absolute versions of your work. The first would not use any form of loudness maximizer or mastering plug-in, contain a reasonably wide dynamic range and be enhanced with a touch of eq and perhaps soft compression? This leaves a mastering engineer (should one be used) with dynamic range and EQ headroom to work with- but it won't sound as good as other tracks out there should you go to press without this guy in the chain. The second would simply have a full on mastering plug-in inserted in the final chain on the master out, and let this EQ (colour) the mix, compress, and db maximize the hell out of it? Great to make your stuff stand proud against all other tracks broadcast, listened to or danced to.. but no good to a mastering engineer who may struggle to grab hold of what little dynamic range is left to do his job properly.- - Correct.. or just plain wrong?

Also, what medium are we ultimately working towards.. Radio, (that seemingly squash the hell out of everything they broadcast), the home Hi-Fi, a pair of iPod headphones, a TV, an in car stereo, a 5.1 cinema set-up or an indoor/outdoor P.A. system..?
cut_N_paste is offline Offline
Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 2nd July 2008 , 11:36 AM
Hell-Rider
 
JAYDMF's Avatar
          
           
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Gloucester
Posts: 940
Default

Yeah the whole loudness war thing really annoys me. We have all these companies working solidly to increase clarity and dynamic range of all the media formats and then what do we do? go and use as little of this as possible just so that one CD is louder than the next ? if you want it loud turn it up or buy a louder amp/speakers.
JAYDMF is offline Offline
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 2nd July 2008 , 07:35 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Plymouth - UK
Posts: 1
Default Mastering or Not:

Taking into account what has been said on the matter of mastering so far, the decision as to whether mastering is required with any musical track depends very much on whether the track needs or requires it.
The decision as to whether to master a musical work, will hinge on certain musical principles, principles that have to be taken into consideration and decided upon before embarking on any mastering process.
Using a mastering process on any music track, firstly revolves around the answering of several important questions:

1. Does the track really require mastering at all.
2. Would the sound benefit in any way by being partially or fully mastered.
3. Is mastering a requirement before being permitted to be played on air.
4. Would mastering benefit the end listener experience in any way.
5. Would mastering the track damage the tracks overall texture and appeal.

As all learned musicians and technicians are aware, there is no limit to how a finished music track can end up sounding and mastering is just another link in an evolutionary chain of events that are brought together to produce the finished musical work.

Some musical works definitely benefit from being mastered, whilst others can be totally spoiled by the process.
So really, it is all down to what your audience and music requires of you.

All the best to you all
Waverunner
waverunner is offline Offline
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 2nd July 2008 , 08:51 PM
Hell-Rider
 
JAYDMF's Avatar
          
           
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Gloucester
Posts: 940
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by waverunner View Post
Taking into account what has been said on the matter of mastering so far, the decision as to whether mastering is required with any musical track depends very much on whether the track needs or requires it.
The decision as to whether to master a musical work, will hinge on certain musical principles, principles that have to be taken into consideration and decided upon before embarking on any mastering process.
Using a mastering process on any music track, firstly revolves around the answering of several important questions:

1. Does the track really require mastering at all.
2. Would the sound benefit in any way by being partially or fully mastered.
3. Is mastering a requirement before being permitted to be played on air.
4. Would mastering benefit the end listener experience in any way.
5. Would mastering the track damage the tracks overall texture and appeal.

As all learned musicians and technicians are aware, there is no limit to how a finished music track can end up sounding and mastering is just another link in an evolutionary chain of events that are brought together to produce the finished musical work.

Some musical works definitely benefit from being mastered, whilst others can be totally spoiled by the process.
So really, it is all down to what your audience and music requires of you.

All the best to you all
Waverunner


Couldnt be more spot on with this comment although i think that most things do need mastering to some degree just because fresh ears are always good. Mastering engineers have probably got the best position to really judge the character of a song or album as they have a monitoring position that they know like the back of their hand and that has been carefully tweaked over a very long period of time. also they have the equipment to really pull a mix apart and see its strengths and flaws which i think is an invaluable tool. I just wish more dynamic range was used for some material.
JAYDMF is offline Offline
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 3rd July 2008 , 01:42 PM
Administrator
 
modz1's Avatar
          
           
Join Date: May 2008
Location: London
Posts: 1,848
Default Another two peneth'

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAYDMF View Post
Couldnt be more spot on with this comment although i think that most things do need mastering to some degree just because fresh ears are always good. Mastering engineers have probably got the best position to really judge the character of a song or album as they have a monitoring position that they know like the back of their hand and that has been carefully tweaked over a very long period of time. also they have the equipment to really pull a mix apart and see its strengths and flaws which i think is an invaluable tool. I just wish more dynamic range was used for some material.
I remember watching one of the 'Greats' in action (Arun Chakraverty, Master Room, London) and learning a lot from that experience. It's a shame and a blessing mixed that (due to record label cutbacks where they expect the artist/producer themselves to 'master') fewer tracks end up in the hands of these artists (and by that I mean the mastering engineers), a shame cos they are the professionals, it's their job, life and soul that they inject into the track, and the blessing..? in this day and age though that basic mastering achievability is affordable, accessible and usable to most music makers.

The ubiquitous phrase still stands.."If it sounds right, it is right.." And remember, no one piece of music will ever sound exactly the same, heard in different locations, environments and multiple combinations of audio source material and hardware..
______________________________
"The light that burns twice as bright burns half as long.."
modz1 is offline Offline
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 3rd July 2008 , 02:13 PM
Hell-Rider
 
JAYDMF's Avatar
          
           
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Gloucester
Posts: 940
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by modz1 View Post
I
The ubiquitous phrase still stands.."If it sounds right, it is right.." And remember, no one piece of music will ever sound exactly the same, heard in different locations, environments and multiple combinations of audio source material and hardware..
Definatly! I think the thing is with mastering engineers is that they are generally the ones with a huge passion for music in the sense of listening to it more so than the creational process and for that reason they are the best judge of what needs a little more oomph or air or what just needs to be bought up to level etc
JAYDMF is offline Offline
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 4th July 2008 , 04:13 PM
0hz
DV Staff
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 1
Default loud and proud....

Although I agree that poeple seem to be going overboard with the loudness and maximising, I do think there needs to be a fair amount of overdrive to make your music sound warm especially at low volume. Curiously some of the best producers in the scene are choosing to limit there music so much the they're creating hard distortion and other nasty artefacts; clearly following the fashion for loudness is more important than producing the best quality.

Personally, I find anything I've produced without a noticeable amount of compression, overdrive and limiting doesn't have the warmth at normal listening volumes.

It all depends on what kind of music you're making. Brickwalled Jazz would sound wrong. Hard house with massive peaks on the clap and the bassline somewhere in the distance would sound equally wrong.
0hz is offline Offline
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


LinkBacks (?)
LinkBack to this Thread: http://forums.dv247.com/mastering/77-mastering-release-broadcast-there-absolute-answer.html
Posted By For Type Date
Mastering plugins - when do you use them? - MusicRadar Forum This thread Refback 3rd September 2008 04:40 PM
Mastering plugins - when do you use them? - MusicRadar Forum This thread Refback 16th July 2008 06:37 PM


All times are GMT. The time now is 12:47 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.3
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.3.0
1999-2017 DV247 Ltd. All rights reserved.