DV247 Forums - A Global Community for Music Makers Lowest Price Guaranteed, Free Delivery, Free 3 Year Warranty
Old 24th October 2008 , 09:56 AM
Uber Member

Default What is the very minimum system needed...

...to run Logic 7?
I ask because with Logic 8 and the new 'wonder-macs' Logic 7 can be purchased on ebay at bargain prices and older macs can be found in the same vein. I can read the specs and get the info but thats the minimum to make it function, I'm curious what the real world lowest would be as I have wanted to try Logic for a while (the GUI appeals to me, as does the format and feature set) but being mac-less there is no way to d/l a demo etc and a bargain older harware/Logic 7 spree would be kind of affordable with a month or 2.
Old 24th October 2008 , 01:24 PM
Forum Scribe

I always seem to be 'considering' Logic.

That is an interesting angle on getting into Logic Wilty. Yes by buying older Macs that were fine to run with v.7 of Logic not that long ago, you could quite nicely get a good running MAC rig and save some cash. Nice idea.

One thing I have been searching for on Ebay in the past is a good deal on hardware *and* a possible Apple care support plan or warranty that is still active. That combo might be easier to find now but was not when I searched some months back.
Monarch is offline Offline
Old 24th October 2008 , 01:36 PM
Uber Member

I'm thinking down and proper dirty though, I'm thinking G4 or eMac running osx, obviously with the increased ram, not the proper slow ones. It would be souly for logic, wouldn't be used for anything else and would be stripped of all other (none essential) applications. Maybe I'd put Cubase on it if it could handle it, but thats speculation. At the moment my priority is a new DAW PC but that will take months to save for and Logic screams at the back of my consumer driven mind like a hungry baby.
Old 24th October 2008 , 01:40 PM
Forum Idol

i have to strongly suggest get 8, because that way of working with logic has been dropped, logic 8 is a new methology, no environment essential any more etc. buy 8 express if studio is too expensive, look for the bare basic 10.4 minimum mac to get buy but you WILL want to upgrade when you run out of power, i would personally say buy a older gen one before current version macbook and logic you really wont regret it as you will have a decent amount of power and fairly new specs dont rush and get a cheap underpowered set up you may later regret, may i ask what kind of budget you have to play with?
http://twitter.com/djsureno
sureno is offline Offline
Old 24th October 2008 , 01:51 PM
Uber Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureno View Post
i have to strongly suggest get 8, because that way of working with logic has been dropped, logic 8 is a new methology, no environment essential any more etc. buy 8 express if studio is too expensive, look for the bare basic 10.4 minimum mac to get buy but you WILL want to upgrade when you run out of power, i would personally say buy a older gen one before current version macbook and logic you really wont regret it as you will have a decent amount of power and fairly new specs dont rush and get a cheap underpowered set up you may later regret, may i ask what kind of budget you have to play with?
This is what I was originally looking at, but as a flight of fancy I can't justify the expense when (apart from all the real world priorites I do so well at ignoring) my priority is a new PC as I don't know how I'd get on with Mac and I'm not a poker player.
I didn't realise the leap from 7 to 8 was so large, but I was just thinkning I'd get a feel, stick a toe in the water, poke the lion that sort of thing.

My budget, if I'm honest, is laughable. Actually laughable. If I told you, you'd actually point. And laugh.
As I said, this is a sideline interest, hence the looking at the slowpoke antique eMacs and such on ebay.
Old 24th October 2008 , 02:14 PM
Forum Idol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilty View Post
This is what I was originally looking at, but as a flight of fancy I can't justify the expense when (apart from all the real world priorites I do so well at ignoring) my priority is a new PC as I don't know how I'd get on with Mac and I'm not a poker player.
I didn't realise the leap from 7 to 8 was so large, but I was just thinkning I'd get a feel, stick a toe in the water, poke the lion that sort of thing.

My budget, if I'm honest, is laughable. Actually laughable. If I told you, you'd actually point. And laugh.
As I said, this is a sideline interest, hence the looking at the slowpoke antique eMacs and such on ebay.
i suggest use a mates logic system to tread water with, i suggest try using a mac before buying your new PC you may be pleasantly surprised.

my advice on your situation flog what PC's you have accumulate all your money, sell your sould to the big D himself (he did me a great deal) and go mac, whether its logic its up to you, i did and it has been the best thing i did, but that is what i would and have done when i was in your situation but i still kept my PC until i realised i didn't even use it now that i had the mac i was running cubase 4 on it, oh how i used to envy mac users thinking i could never afford one but than just thought F it im taking the plunge, scraped my pennies together and bought one, now im in the fashion victim gang and proud
Old 24th October 2008 , 02:39 PM
Uber Member

Would dearly love to (although I'd keep the laptop for web stuff) but I have a flat that will need furnishing and a mortgage to start paying (hopefully) very soon and still have a few finance agreements slowly paying themselves off so can't really plunge in any direction. I don't know if I'd like Macs, its not that I'm that attatched to PC being new to it all still, but its a lot of money if I don't get on with logic and end up running cubase on mac when I could have spent half the amount on a PC I'd be miffed. And stupid.

I don't have any mates with Macs let alone Logic 8.

I sometimes wish I wasn't so curious, inquisitivness seems to be a costly habit.
Old 24th October 2008 , 02:57 PM
Forum Scribe

Quote:
I sometimes wish I wasn't so curious, inquisitivness seems to be a costly habit.
I would go 8 ideally as sureno suggested but if there is a cheaper way

It looks like it might be better for you to wait wilty. Maybe it's better to get a system you really want (even though it will take longer) instead of a MAC (that is very cheap but too old) that you might grow out of much quicker. If your budget is really low,then even on Ebay you might struggle to get something that can run even Logic 7 well.

Even the older MAC's while cheaper, still hold their value quite well so prices will be lower but maybe not as low as your budget (if it is as low as I think) indicates.

Realistically I would set aside 400 - 700 for an IMAC at least, or an old Powermac or better with 2GB or more of Ram more. Any less than that and it is probably worth saving up frankly as sureno suggested.

Also if you are buying second hand Apple care is essential IMO. Buyers may be selling partly because their Apple care plan has run out or will do so soon. Something to look out for. Most MAC's I see for sale don't have Apple care.

Still getting v.7 with an older MAC is a nice idea IMO but only with a fairly good budget or it is better to wait and get something new.

It may even be better to see what Synergy have to offer...you might change your mind about a MAC after seeing what they have on the table. Maybe saving up for one of those is better.
Old 24th October 2008 , 03:32 PM
Uber Member

I am practically salivating with anticipation to get a look at Synergy's offerings.
Its more just something to play around with, and wouldn't be instead of a new DAW pc, it would be as well as. Like a pet project, or a taster.
Gonna have to save like mad for a Synergy (would be grand if I know how much...ahem *jokes*) but know its going to be a fair long time before I can look at picking one up.

I keep looking around for macbooks but the little buggers hold value so well it hardly makes getting a second hand one worth it.
Old 24th October 2008 , 03:59 PM
Forum Idol

still say go mac
Old 24th October 2008 , 04:01 PM
Uber Member

Most Macnerds do...

Often.

Hehe. Its just rather expensive to 'make the switch'.

Plus I don't wanna be one of 'those' guys, I wouldn't fit in at Starbucks...

*Jokes*

Talking of jokes: The Crap Joke Thread
Last edited by Wilty; 24th October 2008 at 04:10 PM. . <
Old 24th October 2008 , 04:03 PM
Forum Idol

Quote:
I wouldn't fit in at Starbucks...
you will get used to it
Old 24th October 2008 , 05:51 PM
Forum Scribe

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureno View Post
still say go mac
This MAC thing is pretty serious once you get one everyone else must have one..

The recent scare with toxic MACS put me off the MAC Pros...for now anyway...but an 8 or 16 core MAC (so that I can forget about upgrading forever would be nice)...but then again the Synergys must have a top end quad, 8 core and at least a 16 core in their future line up...

Those new Synergy's will eat those tiny Apples any day of the week mate...just a spoonful for a Synergy, just about qualifies for a snack frankly...just...(sorry wilty...this being your thread and all..it looks like me and sureno could have some running Synergy PC VS Apple MAC battles across this forum for some time into the future) watch this space LOL!
Old 24th October 2008 , 06:02 PM
Uber Member

I'd join in if I knew anything past the very basics of technical computer mumbo-jumbo.
To be fair I'd put my lot in reading a the Synergy page on DV if there were specs up. I like putting my lot in.

There is something millitant about Mac owners though-like new parents. They have one, you gotta have one. But yours won't be as good as theirs, they had theirs first.

Edit:I forgot to ask.....Toxic Macs?????
Old 24th October 2008 , 06:10 PM
Forum Scribe

Quote:
Edit:I forgot to ask.....Toxic Macs?????
Yep...thankfully sureno posted the story recently here