DV247 Forums - A Global Community for Music Makers Lowest Price Guaranteed, Free Delivery, Free 3 Year Warranty
Go Back   DV247 Forums - A Global Community for Music Makers > Music Equipment Discussion > Keyboards, Modules & Hardware Synths
Forgot Password? Join Us!
Home Register Groups FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Go to DV247.com
New to Forums or just joined? Why not start your journey here?

Keyboards, Modules & Hardware Synths Synthesizers, workstation keyboards, digital pianos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 27th January 2011 , 08:17 PM

Default Wow! Xio. What a price!

Hi
Been browsing for a Novation XioSynth 49. In many places the Novation XioSynth 49 is selling for around 300 yet on DV247 it's only 199.
From what I can tell it's the same product.
Can anyone tell me otherwise?
Sodwind is offline Offline
Old 28th January 2011 , 10:20 AM
Uber Member

It is same product mate, there is a post in the news section on the DV247 site I believe.
It's a good product too, once you've got hang of the menus, grab yourself a bargain.
Old 28th January 2011 , 10:25 AM
Uber Member

Ok it's not in the news section, must have been a Facebook post.
I definitely read it somewhere, too many sources of information.
Old 28th January 2011 , 09:49 PM

So I just ordered one although the DV247 Cambridge branch made it really difficult to do so.
After a lot of research on the web I wanted to see/feel both the Xio and the M-Audio KeyStudio 49i as I hadn't quite decided on which one.
So I visited my local DV247 store (Cambridge). They hadn't got either in the shop but said they could get them in for the following weekend.
However, when I checked on the Friday before they'd failed to get either (problem with Admin or something) so (profuse apoligies) they said they'd get them in for the following weekend.
I checked by phone on the Friday before and still they'd failed to get them in for me to look at!
Rubbish service I reckon and I wouldn't recommend them to anyone but...their price was the best by far on the web so I ordered a Xio online anyway.

Well, a few web comments say the feel of the keyboard is really cheap and plasticy and often some of the keys can be a bit clicky. Also, it's a bit old now and DV247 have it in their Clearance list but hey! it's a real good price so I'll wait and see.
Hopefully their web ordering system performs little better than the Cambridge store.
I'll update this when I get chance to get my hands on it...
Old 29th January 2011 , 08:14 AM
Uber Member

I had the Xio25 and yeah, there is a bit of a 'plasticy' feel to it but no more than any of the other keyboards at that price point, even before the reduction. I think a lot of web-reviewers compare products unfairly, expecting everything to be high end.
At 200 the synth engine alone makes it money well spent, give it a fair chance.
Old 31st January 2011 , 10:44 AM
Administrator

Default Novation Xio 2011 review

Yeah, great news on the Xio price drop. In fact, DV Magazine are acknowledging that fact with a refreshed review look at this 3-in-1 unit (MIDI controller/Audio Interface/Synth).

Here's part one of the Novation Xio Review
Old 10th February 2011 , 10:04 PM

Default XioSynth

Well, I've been using (getting used to) my new XioSynth for 2 or 3 weeks now.
It's been quite a struggle. I use Sonar and the template in the Xio is very basic for that sequencer. However, I got it to work fairly reasonably although I've still a lot of ground to cover.
I've had numerous instances where either I could get no sound from the Synth keyboard with or without using Sonar which on occasions took me hours to resolve. The manual (for me, a nube) is pretty basic and doesn't really cover stuff I need to know. Furthermore, there's not a great deal of help on the Net for the basic stuff. However I'll struggle on.
The quality of the Xio isn't at all bad for the price I paid - occasionly a key gets stuck but not often. The function of the knobs and buttons can be hellish confusing to start off but I'm getting there.
The Xio came with Live Lite 8 but I've yet to get that working with the Xio at all.
Within Sonar I've had big problems using Dimension Pro - There are wildly differing volumes depending on which patch your using and also a major bugbear is key velocity. On certain patches/programs I need to hit the keys really hard before I can get a decent volume. I guess that to resolve this is something I'm gonna learn in the future.
So, all in all it's a great little synth/controller and I'm still amazed at the price DV247 are selling it at - some 120 cheaper than on most sites I've seen.
Delivery timescale was excellent - no qualms there at all although I'm still pretty peeved at the poor service I received at their Cambridge store.
So to summarize: the XioSynth is a real bargain (from DV247), it's got some great patches and there are loads more available for free on the Net. Build quality is very good, you're gonna have quite a bit of brow-wrinkling to get the hang of controlling it. Avoid the Cambridge store (at least) and buy on line - the best deal around by far.
Old 12th February 2012 , 08:35 PM

Default Faulty Xio problems

I had to return my Xiosynth after getting fed up with sticky keys and really clunky action. Dv were very quick to organise the return to Novation for repair about 2 weeks before Christmas. I didn't receive it back until Thursday of last week and the keyboard has been replaced for one that is even worse than the one I sent back! Novation apparently had a hard time sourcing a replacement keyboard unit for it, which is understandable because the Xio is now discontinued. I'm really angry that their repairers don't seem to have tested what they've supposedly repaired and sent it back in an even worse state!
Dv are however looking into this for me and I'm awaiting replies as to what is going to happen next. I cannot really go without a keyboard/synth for much longer as it was my only one.
tonalaxis is offline Offline