DV247 Forums - A Global Community for Music Makers Lowest Price Guaranteed, Free Delivery, Free 3 Year Warranty
Go Back   DV247 Forums - A Global Community for Music Makers > Music Equipment Discussion > Keyboards, Modules & Hardware Synths
Forgot Password? Join Us!
Home Register Groups FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Go to DV247.com
New to Forums or just joined? Why not start your journey here?

Keyboards, Modules & Hardware Synths Synthesizers, workstation keyboards, digital pianos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 31st December 2010 , 09:02 PM

Default Novation Nocturn 49 keyboard

Hi
I'm looking for a cheap MIDI Keyboard Controller.
I'm hardly a musician - I just want it for personal amusement really.
I currently run Windows 7 32bit and Sonar 7 Producer. I was given it a few years ago and haven't really used it until a couple of months ago.
I have a whole bunch of MIDI compositions I created years ago and have been re-voicing them via Sonar.
Now I want to create more music and want a keyboard.

I've been looking around the Net and as I'd prefer a 61 note model, I initially picked out a Behringer UMX610 MIDI Keyboard as suitable but the more I looked into it, it seems Behringer are not very popular - cheap rubbish that soon falls apart I hear...

So, I then start looking at M-Audio's Keystation 61es or the Oxygen 49 3rd Generation but soon discover that M-Audio kit has loads of problems with drivers for Windows 7. I don't want the hassle so that's them out of the window.

Next up I look at the Cakewalk A-500S 49key MIDI Keyboard. This seems like it might be OK for my purposes, it states that it'll run fine on Windows 7 and at least it should mesh with Sonar.
Trouble is, I just read a thread - - where BVC states:

"Good job Roland, you've released a controller identical to the Alesis Q49, CME M-Key, M-Audio Keystation 49, and countless products that were discontinued due to lack of interest in non-descript recycled garbage. Looks like the A-series follows the formula virtually every company uses in MIDI controller land: "Our last group of controllers sold moderately well, so let's revamp them in a new colored casing."

The A-series is the Edirol PCR-X00 series recycled but in black, with differently placed pads, a sad omission of the cross-fader (hope you saved some money, guys), and some auto mapping that only works with Sonar (a program that out of all the DAW enthusiasts I know not one uses)... OH! And because they're new to the market they can charge double for them! (Yes, double, no exaggeration; I got my PCR-800 for $199 brand new.)"

Well not quite double but the Alesis Q49 is very cheap and now (I'm thinking) maybe nasty.

So, since it looks like I might have to dig a little deeper I'm now sniffing around a Novation Nocturn 49 keyboard. From what I've read and seen so far it looks to be pretty impressive.

So, to my question: Is there anybody out there who has tales of woe regarding the Novation Nocturn 49 keyboard running on Widows 7 32bit with Sonar 7 Producer?
Sodwind is offline Offline