DV247 Forums - A Global Community for Music Makers Lowest Price Guaranteed, Free Delivery, Free 3 Year Warranty
Go Back   DV247 Forums - A Global Community for Music Makers > Music Equipment Discussion > Keyboards, Modules & Hardware Synths
Forgot Password? Join Us!
Home Register Groups FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Go to DV247.com
New to Forums or just joined? Why not start your journey here?

Keyboards, Modules & Hardware Synths Synthesizers, workstation keyboards, digital pianos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 5th September 2009 , 01:12 PM

Default Weird noise...

I recently bought a Yamaha MM6 synthesiser (is that how you write it? ) and I have it connected to my mixer (behringer xenyx1002, pretty bad, I know) on a stereo channel, and the mixer is connected to a behringer UCA202 sound interface (again, pretty bad, I know ). Anyway, when I'm playing my synth without any programs running, the sound is just fine. However, when I open something that uses audio like Audition, Live, Reason, or even Myspace music or iTunes a strange noise appears, and it only goes away if I turn off my synth. This doesn't happen with any other instruments like the microphone or the clavinova piano. Here's how it sounds:

http://dl.getdropbox.com/u/1895938/NOISE.wav
UnworthyJobba is offline Offline
Last edited by UnworthyJobba; 5th September 2009 at 01:47 PM. . <
Old 5th September 2009 , 03:36 PM

Woah, warning to anyone else who might listen to that - don't turn up the volume too much! Those cymbals nearly made my ears bleed.

Have you tried connecting the synth directly to your 202? It's obviously interfering with any other audio running through the card. I couldn't tell you why i'm afraid, but hopefully someone might be able to give you some ideas.
Old 7th September 2009 , 08:11 PM
Son of 'Z'

That sounds potentially like an aliasing issue. I dont ahve speakers on the pc anymore.

Check that your hardware is on an identical sample rate, and that your software is also using the same rate. Ideally, it would be clocked to your external device as well.

Other normal/potential problem is when you have software and hardware monitoring going to the same output. This is effectively a feedback loop, and will introduce distortion accordingly.
EdRyan is offline Offline
Old 9th September 2009 , 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdRyan View Post
That sounds potentially like an aliasing issue. I dont ahve speakers on the pc anymore.

Check that your hardware is on an identical sample rate, and that your software is also using the same rate. Ideally, it would be clocked to your external device as well.

Other normal/potential problem is when you have software and hardware monitoring going to the same output. This is effectively a feedback loop, and will introduce distortion accordingly.
It could be the last thing you mentioned, but the problem is it only happens with the synth, the noise isn't noticeable when it is turned off or when I use my other piano or the microphone.
Old 9th September 2009 , 04:29 PM
Hell-Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnworthyJobba View Post
It could be the last thing you mentioned, but the problem is it only happens with the synth, the noise isn't noticeable when it is turned off or when I use my other piano or the microphone.
Random but could potentially be a loop on the midi cable or are you going via USB ?
JAYDMF is offline Offline
Old 10th September 2009 , 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAYDMF View Post
Random but could potentially be a loop on the midi cable or are you going via USB ?
I'm using USB, but the noise I'm talking about isn't from that, it comes from the actual audio cables
Old 10th September 2009 , 05:38 PM
Hell-Rider

Yeah just grounding rubbish dude. i get the same thing off my blofeld if i need to crank my inputs on the motu, just picking up low level crap that would normally be buried under the actual synth. i used to get this on my fa101 running from my old desktop, if i grounded it the sound dropped off a fair bit. but on a synth i doubt theres a way to ground
Old 10th September 2009 , 08:50 PM

Quote:
Yeah just grounding rubbish dude. i get the same thing off my blofeld if i need to crank my inputs on the motu, just picking up low level crap that would normally be buried under the actual synth. i used to get this on my fa101 running from my old desktop, if i grounded it the sound dropped off a fair bit. but on a synth i doubt theres a way to ground
So what you're saying is that I'll have to live with this? :P
Old 11th September 2009 , 09:00 AM
Hell-Rider

Quote:
So what you're saying is that I'll have to live with this? :P
Yup. pretty much. put your synth on a power conditioner or a good surge protector and you may find that it drops off significantly. i live in an old cottage and before it was rewired i used to get terrible noise on everything, guitar amp being the worst, sitting a good surge protector on the amp used to help loads (although it didnt kill it completely) all my studio gear is sat on belkin surge protectors atm apart from my tg33 and theres a huge difference in the noise level from the wall.
Old 11th September 2009 , 11:53 AM

Quote:
Yup. pretty much. put your synth on a power conditioner or a good surge protector and you may find that it drops off significantly. i live in an old cottage and before it was rewired i used to get terrible noise on everything, guitar amp being the worst, sitting a good surge protector on the amp used to help loads (although it didnt kill it completely) all my studio gear is sat on belkin surge protectors atm apart from my tg33 and theres a huge difference in the noise level from the wall.
What I don't understand is how the noise only appears when there is something that produces audio on the PC... Maybe if I buy another sound card or audio interface the noise will disappear. Well, thanks for the help guys.
Old 11th September 2009 , 01:20 PM
Hell-Rider

Quote:
What I don't understand is how the noise only appears when there is something that produces audio on the PC... Maybe if I buy another sound card or audio interface the noise will disappear. Well, thanks for the help guys.
Turn your pc speakers up loud enough and you'll hear the same noise when theres nothing playing out, people with laptops will notice this much more when plugged into speakers. probably some internal loop that makes it worse when other stuff is playing back.
Old 18th September 2009 , 12:38 PM

I've just found the solution... If I remove the USB Hub to which the synth is connected, the noise disappears! Who would've thought...
Old 30th November 2009 , 06:57 PM

Quote:
I started out with a UCA 202 and had the same problem. I then moved on to, what turned out to be a faulty Tascam Fireone with a similar problem which appeared when the light rotated.

The best advice with get a sound card or I/O that doesn't ground itself to the computer. Get a separate interface that grounds itself. More costly but no interference and far superior sound quality.
joewalch is offline Offline