DV247 Forums - A Global Community for Music Makers Lowest Price Guaranteed, Free Delivery, Free 3 Year Warranty
Go Back   DV247 Forums - A Global Community for Music Makers > Music Equipment Discussion > Keyboards, Modules & Hardware Synths
Forgot Password? Join Us!
Home Register Groups FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Go to DV247.com
New to Forums or just joined? Why not start your journey here?

Keyboards, Modules & Hardware Synths Synthesizers, workstation keyboards, digital pianos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 7th August 2009 , 08:47 AM
Tarnce Monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by mutilatedlip View Post
I've read a lot about JJ OS - is it worth getting? Is the difference really noticeable, and if it is - which version?

In addition, I'm a big New Order fan and love all those old Roland sounds they use - what's the best to look for or can anyone recommend a module/synth such as the JV1080/2080, XP series, etc. - what's the best and additionally, what's the best sound boards you can get for them? Anyone got any experiences?
The JV1080/2080 are both superb. I had a 1080 back in the day and i'm on the look out for a mint one now. They both share the same sound engine afaik but the 2080 offers more expansion boards and a better FX section, which isn't really so relevant these days I 'spose. The best expansion for your purposes would be the JV80-04 Vintage Synth card, but you can hear a lot of the sounds here :-

http://www.synthmania.com/sr-jv80-04.htm

From what i've seen so far 1080s go for about 150 and the 2080s roughly double that. The expansion cards seem to go from 50-100 depending on the one you choose.

I'll definately be getting one too at some point
tehlord is offline Offline
Old 7th August 2009 , 09:02 AM
Pushing the Envelope

I do love the look of those giant racks. So to speak

Obviously, back in the day when these were over a grand, I'd never thought of getting one.

Is the 2080 complete with some great sounds? How about D50 sounds, etc.? And the stock Roland beatbox collection? Does it come with them?
mutilatedlip is offline Offline
Old 7th August 2009 , 09:09 AM
Tarnce Monkey

Yeah I think the 2080 had 700-800 sounds as standard and although a lot of them would be sax and harp emulations () there were many stupendously good sounding ones too. You don't get D50 sounds on the 2080 afaik but it's basically the same kind of synth engine so a lot of them will be similar. I have no idea about the Roland Beatbox sounds, might be on one of the cards? There's a massive audio selection of what it's capable of here :-

http://www.synthmania.com/jv-2080.htm

Really they're all about the expansion possibilites. You can hear all or most of the sounds on the expansion cards on that site too.
Old 7th August 2009 , 09:15 AM
Pushing the Envelope

I just had a good read of that site.

The Hip Hop, Techno and Vintage sound expansions sound good. However, this really is silly territory - I'm just looking at them thinking 'I could get any of these sounds from the Kontakt Library or any of the other millions of libraries I've got.'

There's something about hardware.
Old 7th August 2009 , 09:20 AM
Tarnce Monkey

Quote:

There's something about hardware.
True, and i'm convinced that the bass sounds especially out of my two hardware synths are doing something differently than the VST basses I use. Even if the sounds inside the boxes are the same, what's coming OUT of them appears to be different. I dunno
Old 7th August 2009 , 09:28 AM
Pushing the Envelope

Quote:
Originally Posted by tehlord View Post
True, and i'm convinced that the bass sounds especially out of my two hardware synths are doing something differently than the VST basses I use. Even if the sounds inside the boxes are the same, what's coming OUT of them appears to be different. I dunno
I couldn't agree more.

I'm running Massive and various other soft synths and love them. However, I've also got a Virus, Little Phatty, Juno 106, and a Mopho, and the soft synths don't even approach them.

The one soft synth I find very very close to analog sounding, is FAW Circle.
Old 7th August 2009 , 09:37 AM
Tarnce Monkey

Not heard of that one, i'll have to look into it. The closest I've heard so far was my much loved and used AA Ultra Analog which I used to think sounded very rounded and bass rich. I A/Bd it against the KS rack though and the KS was able to move the air that was still inside my lungs, even on my little RP6s.

The UA seemed like it had a LPF applied to it in comparison!

Even if i'm just imagining it i'm happy
Old 7th August 2009 , 09:46 AM
Hell-Rider

Quote:
I've read a lot about JJ OS - is it worth getting? Is the difference really noticeable, and if it is - which version?

In addition, I'm a big New Order fan and love all those old Roland sounds they use - what's the best to look for or can anyone recommend a module/synth such as the JV1080/2080, XP series, etc. - what's the best and additionally, what's the best sound boards you can get for them? Anyone got any experiences?
Yes JJ is worth getting, i havent got round to sorting mine out withit but a friend has it on his 1000 (he has the old blue, red and brown one so its also had the pad upgrade) it adds things like grid editing which for me is a huge plus, trying to use the standard Akai OS is ok but a bit of a headache as you have to think in bizarre numbers instead of bars and beats. Theres a few extra tools for editing samples, few extra tid bits here and there and generally i found it a lot smoother to get around than the akai one.

I will eventually get mine upgraded as this is one of the reasons why i dont use mine as much as i should. if i do use it i tend to program a load of midi files in cubase and dump across as its so much easier.
JAYDMF is offline Offline
Old 7th August 2009 , 10:04 AM
Pushing the Envelope

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAYDMF View Post
I will eventually get mine upgraded as this is one of the reasons why i dont use mine as much as i should. if i do use it i tend to program a load of midi files in cubase and dump across as its so much easier.
This is pretty much how I use mine. I wish Battery integrated with the MPC range a little more readily, as I never have the time to fiddle around with all the mapping etc.

I also wish it exported to AKAI format as well, save having to downgrade everything from 24 Bit to 16 Bit.

Perhaps we should start an MPC thread somewhere here. Threads always get lost at the MPC Forums, and it'd be good to speak with like-minded folk and swap sounds, files etc.

My MPC 1000 is the all black newer one, I think. I've hardly used it. I also bought that Vintage Beat Machine pack from AKAIpro.com, but the samples seem to be all pitched and mapped incorrectly. Not sure if anyone else has experienced this?
Old 7th August 2009 , 10:21 AM
Hell-Rider

Yeah i have the black MPC too, again ive just wiped mines memory card to start a fresh as all i had was bunch of Amen samples randomly setup, got a few sample CDs i snapped that are all akai format so sometime over the weekend im going to dump them on there.
Old 7th August 2009 , 11:02 AM
Pushing the Envelope

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAYDMF View Post
Yeah i have the black MPC too, again ive just wiped mines memory card to start a fresh as all i had was bunch of Amen samples randomly setup, got a few sample CDs i snapped that are all akai format so sometime over the weekend im going to dump them on there.
How do you get your AKAI CDs onto your MPC? CDXtract or something? I have a few for the Z4 I wouldn't mind dumping over.
Old 7th August 2009 , 09:43 PM
Hell-Rider

Quote:
How do you get your AKAI CDs onto your MPC? CDXtract or something? I have a few for the Z4 I wouldn't mind dumping over.
Mine are just data Cds with folders of samples in wav, akai, battery and some other sampler formats which you just copy to hard disk and then over to the MPC via USB
Old 9th August 2009 , 07:25 PM
Tarnce Monkey

Blimey

That S5000 with 136MB RAM, an internal 40GB HDD and the USB card all boxed and documented went for 201.

That has to be a bargain.

Didn't have the money to bid this month though
Old 9th August 2009 , 10:27 PM
Rave Digga

yeah ive got roland synths and they sound miles better than there vst versions.they always sound fatter and more fuller than the vst versions i think it may have somethhing to do with the actual outputs and the chorus effects built in create a fuller sound.

if your getting a jv1080 id personally go for the xp30 which i recommended before same soundset but you get 3 cards built in as well so it saves you money because ive seen the session card go for over 100 pounds on ebay alone !! and the techno/orchestra cards usally go for 60-70 pounds second hand but you useally see the xp30 go for around 300 pounds for a mint one on ebay so you can save yourself abit because the jv1080s mostely go for around the 150 pounds mark and most sellers take out any cards theyve bought seperately to sell on.the jvs only came with there own sound sets and never had other cards inbuilt like the xps did.
the xp30 also has 4 assignable faders which you can use to control b3 organ patches or use for the excellent 303 sounds on there .
cards id recommend are the techno / session /orchestra/ house/ hiphop /vintage but if you get the session card on the xp30 dont bother with the vintage because alot of the sounds of this are on the session board or atleast sound similar.
the xp30 can also take and use 5 cards at a time which lesser xps and lower jvs cant .i cant recommend the xp30 enough it really is one of the best synths roland ever made that never got the recognition it deserved at the time most people bought jv1080s/jv2080s not realising the xp was the same machine but had better value at the time useally the racks work out better value but in this rare case it was the keyboard version that beat the rack version.
waxxy is offline Offline
Old 10th August 2009 , 08:40 AM
Tarnce Monkey

Hmmmm, I thought I knew the XP50 was a keyboard version of the 1080 but I think i'd assumes the XP30 was a cut down version........because 30 is smaller than 50

I'll have a look at a couple on Ebay but I don't think I have the space for another keyboard sadly. Saying that i'm really ready to bin my M-Audio Radium and I suppose the XP30 could act as a master keyboard as well?