DV247 Forums - A Global Community for Music Makers Lowest Price Guaranteed, Free Delivery, Free 3 Year Warranty
Go Back   DV247 Forums - A Global Community for Music Makers > Music Equipment Discussion > Keyboards, Modules & Hardware Synths
Forgot Password? Join Us!
Home Register Groups FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Go to DV247.com
New to Forums or just joined? Why not start your journey here?

Keyboards, Modules & Hardware Synths Synthesizers, workstation keyboards, digital pianos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 8th July 2008 , 12:34 PM

Default Recommend a synth or sound module

I'm looking to get a synth or sound module (able to do similar synthesising things), and would like some recommendations. I'm new to the synth side of things.

I currently have a roland rd700sx and a technics kn1600, and would like to add a synth/module to the mix.

Recommendations much appreciated.
97mwill is offline Offline
Old 8th July 2008 , 12:45 PM
Hell-Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97mwill View Post
I'm looking to get a synth or sound module (able to do similar synthesising things), and would like some recommendations. I'm new to the synth side of things.

I currently have a roland rd700sx and a technics kn1600, and would like to add a synth/module to the mix.

Recommendations much appreciated.

What do you want from it tho ? filthy synth sounds and synth sounds only, something that create realistic instrument sounds or something that does both?

If you want filthy synths then Blofeld is the cheap option and the DSI evolver/polyevolver is the expensive option or you could wait for the Stromberg to be released. Realistic but synthy then look at the emulator or proteus X2 as theyre effectively sampler based synths but you can still bend the sounds fairly well or something really realistic then the new fantom and that sort of deal are gonna be your bag.
JAYDMF is offline Offline
Old 10th July 2008 , 12:44 PM

I'd definately check out the Korg R3. Fantastic synth sounds and really affordable.

[url=http://www.dv247.com/invt/38087/]Korg R3 37-Key Synthesizer / Vocoder at DV247.COM[/url]

It will compliment your setup really well. It will be great for killer basses, squelchy blibs, deep pads and the more estoteric sounds that your keyboards can't produce. Has a really cool vocoder and arpeggiator too. We have one at the DV store in Bristol on demo and it's the synth that draws alot of attention!
PaulDVBristol is offline Offline
Old 10th July 2008 , 01:36 PM
DV Staff

For a bit of everything, i'd say the fantom xr is a good place to look and you can add expansion boards to it if you need more sounds of a particular type. for synthy stuff, has to be the virus for me......... But to give better recommendations for you, i'd have to know what kinf of music you were doing and kind of synth module you were looking for.........
Old 10th July 2008 , 02:19 PM

Thanks for advice.
I had previously purchased the roland sh201, however i decided that i was only buying it for the sake of buying it, so cancelled the order before it was shipped, and decided to save for something of better quality.

I would be looking to use it in bands i play in, a good warm pad sort of sound would be ideal for the church band i play in. I also play in a band which does older secular stuff 70/80's sort of thing, maybe to recreate something like the synths on Jump by van Halen for example.

Also would be used for home personal use obviously. I'm not really fussed whether it's rack mounted or actual keyboard synth. With most products i see there is an ability to connect to computer, does this mean you can edit sounds live whilst playing? or bring up sounds during a gig from the computer?
Old 10th July 2008 , 06:30 PM
Hell-Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97mwill View Post
Thanks for advice.
I had previously purchased the roland sh201, however i decided that i was only buying it for the sake of buying it, so cancelled the order before it was shipped, and decided to save for something of better quality.

I would be looking to use it in bands i play in, a good warm pad sort of sound would be ideal for the church band i play in. I also play in a band which does older secular stuff 70/80's sort of thing, maybe to recreate something like the synths on Jump by van Halen for example.

Also would be used for home personal use obviously. I'm not really fussed whether it's rack mounted or actual keyboard synth. With most products i see there is an ability to connect to computer, does this mean you can edit sounds live whilst playing? or bring up sounds during a gig from the computer?
Get a juno or a Jupiter if you want real emulations of that sort of thing, the juno is much better for the pad sounds imo the jupiter is just more flexible and can make some bizarre sounds. The alesis ion and micron are pretty good at the van halen and that era saw type pads and raspy leads but tbh lots of synths do the sounds tyour after pretty well these days as its what most synths are judged on. The x-station is pretty damn good for its money considering the fact that your not only getting a synth but a breakout box powered by usb and also a midi control surface. I use one of these and the sound is pretty damn good, the synth has a lot of flexibility although does get pretty muddy on the output. However for use with reaktor the control surface is spot on all beit a little compact (but thats something that you'll get used to and become nimble enough to control) and theyre going for around 280 now.
JAYDMF is offline Offline
Old 10th July 2008 , 09:00 PM
Rave Digga

if you want too dj with a synth or groovebox too use as well ..then try the korg electribe range .theyve got fat sounds and are very easy too use and are well built ive got the korg ea mark 2 and its built like a tank.

or if you want vst synths then again the korg legacy collections are well worth the money.if you can find one with the ms20 controller then get it .the controller is excellent.

heres a demo of the korg electribes in action.YouTube - KORG Electribe A and R
waxxy is offline Offline
Old 1st August 2008 , 02:19 PM

Default Mono/Poly

Now this may sound like a stupid question, but here goes..
Monophonic synths - Does that generally mean you can only play one note at a time? Or does it mean you can play chords but only with one sound?

(The reason i ask is i read somewhere that monophonic can not only mean just one note but it could mean just one voice. I do know what mono and polyphonic are but am unsure in regard to synths)
I would need to be able to play chords so i'm guessing i need a polyphonic synth, can anyone suggest some good ones.
(Was thinking of getting the Moog LP, but i guess that's now out the window )

Thanks in advance.
Old 1st August 2008 , 02:24 PM
Keeper o' the Keys!

From the description of how you'll be using it, I'd also suggest you have a look at the Roland Fantom X range (not necssarily the newer Fantom G range) and load it with a "Keyboards of the 60s/70s" SRX card.
Old 1st August 2008 , 04:24 PM
Rave Digga

yep monophonic means only one note can be played at one time..polyphonic means more than one note can be played at one time.

monophonic synths are good for phat basslines and leads..
waxxy is offline Offline
Old 3rd August 2008 , 03:55 PM

my A List of Synths/modules is as follows:

Prophet 08
Virus Ti
Andromeda A6

The prophet will do van Halen, saws just like an OBX if you run the filter in 12 pole mode will also do some really sweet pads. Do a search on you tube (Keybd wizard) and you will see some really good demo's in stereo.

Virus, are superb a bit pricey but very flexible.

Alesis A6 a real monster sonically and physically (30+ KG in a flight case), the factory presets do not do it justice and you need to be prepared to dive in the menus when programming to get the best out of it.

well thats my opinion anyway
Geoff0555 is offline Offline