DV247 Forums - A Global Community for Music Makers Lowest Price Guaranteed, Free Delivery, Free 3 Year Warranty
Go Back   DV247 Forums - A Global Community for Music Makers > Music Equipment Discussion > Keyboards, Modules & Hardware Synths
Forgot Password? Join Us!
Home Register Groups FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Go to DV247.com
New to Forums or just joined? Why not start your journey here?

Keyboards, Modules & Hardware Synths Synthesizers, workstation keyboards, digital pianos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 16th November 2008 , 10:58 AM

Default MIDI controller

I am considering one very soon and am torn between the Tranzport or a Berry BCF2000. But that's MY problem!

What Son wants to know is if a controller will have a knob(sic) that will allow him to "scroll" horizontally thru' a long MIDI piece?

The box of tricks will be chatting to Cubase SE3 but if it can handle Samplitude as well that would be a bonus.

As you can tell I am T as S about these things! One reason I want one is to learn!

Dave.
ecc83 is offline Offline
Old 16th November 2008 , 11:17 AM
Mic Check 1!

"One reason I want one is to learn"

So it just goes to show you kids... You really are never too old to learn!

;-)
Old 16th November 2008 , 11:40 AM

Thank you Trevor for your erudite, informative, jetsetty and urbane response,,,NOT!

Would I take advice from someone who get his desk the wrong way around!!??

Ignore him MIDI tech's and help this old goat.

Dave.
ecc83 is offline Offline
Old 16th November 2008 , 11:47 AM
Furry Filter Phreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecc83 View Post
I am considering one very soon and am torn between the Tranzport or a Berry BCF2000. But that's MY problem!

What Son wants to know is if a controller will have a knob(sic) that will allow him to "scroll" horizontally thru' a long MIDI piece?

The box of tricks will be chatting to Cubase SE3 but if it can handle Samplitude as well that would be a bonus.

As you can tell I am T as S about these things! One reason I want one is to learn!

Dave.
BCF2000 is good for controlling mixer type functions etc and it has a 'mackie' emulation mode that should work with Cubase. (The mackie emulation is an partial emulation of a common and well supported high end controller). There is no jog wheel on it for manipulating the song position pointer.

The Tranzport OTOH is specifically designed as a wireless remote DAW controller - it basically provides minimal functionality to arm and record a track and very useffully provide a jog wheel for navigation around the track (ie what you are looking for) and some buttons for soloing/muting tracks, track selection, and setting and navigating markets for quick access to locations in a track.

I have a Tranzport here - very useful little controller - its main for us is remote control of the DAW so I be sat at the drums etc away from the desk with access to record functions, and we use alot for reviewing material - ie sit on sofa away from the DAW and listen to a track, set markers at problem points etc. It has a little display on it so you can see some essential information and if you really want, you can control track levels from it - but only really for small tweaks etc.

Some other jog wheel contraptions:
http://www.dv247.com/invt/17000/
http://www.dv247.com/invt/17547/
http://www.dv247.com/invt/25857/

Cheaper dedicated cubase controller (ie not mackie level price)
http://www.dv247.com/invt/57061/
Khazul is offline Offline
Old 16th November 2008 , 01:19 PM

Many thanks Khazul.

You have made up my mind, a tranz' it shall be!

Simple and limited will do me sir. I have dld'd the "book" and shall spend some time with that, already boggled, valves are SO much easier!

Can I prevail to ask Khazul if you have a bigger and better controller and what really useful extra features I should look for in the future please?

Dave.
ecc83 is offline Offline
Old 16th November 2008 , 01:43 PM
Mic Check 1!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecc83 View Post
Thank you Trevor for your erudite, informative, jetsetty and urbane response,,,NOT!

Would I take advice from someone who get his desk the wrong way around!!??

Ignore him MIDI tech's and help this old goat.

Dave.
Heehee. Only pulling your leg old boy!
Old 16th November 2008 , 07:11 PM
Rave Digga

i was talking to my mate who bought the steinberg controller a few weeks ago and he said it will only work with cubase products nothing else he tried it with ableton and it wouldnt work..if you get the steinberg controller it is pretty good and you get the cubase ai4 software with it too ..the jog wheel controllers id avoid there only for scrolling around the screen not much in the way of faders or any other features except the odd basic ones ..the behringers are cheap enough or you could get the korg nanos if you want faders or the nocturn if you want to control plug ins as well to get a good set up id buy the nano fader controller and the nocturn it will cost just over 110 but they will work with any sequncer you have and will be a good easy to learn set up ..
http://www.dv247.com/invt/52990/

http://www.dv247.com/invt/48363/
waxxy is offline Offline
Old 17th November 2008 , 08:30 AM

Thanks Waxxy,

I am going for the Tranzport because I like the remote facilty. I have balanced feeds into the living room so we can listen on the hi fi and shuttle about.

Mixer type faders we don't really need at the moment but I would want more than one!

I did look at the Nocturn but saw it not have DINs* and so I could not interface that with my 2496's or Fast track pro. I know the Tranz' is DINless but you can't have everything! I am lusting a bit over the Novation Zero but not just yet.

*We have an Evo Ekeys49usb with MIDI out and that DIN feeds the computer that is not on usb thus we do not have to swap connectors. We also have a Yamaha PSS-790 and we use the DIN outs and the 8 assignable pads for drum input. My 2496 MIDI conns' come out to a breakout box on the wall so that we can plug about as we wish.

And thank you Trev'. If I were to pull YOUR leg it would spin you round the right way to see your muso's!

Dave.
ecc83 is offline Offline
Old 17th November 2008 , 02:33 PM
Rave Digga

ecc there not dins there midi ports..i wouldnt get the novation remote zero sl ive got one of those and the faders and pads are useless it was one big waste of money if i had known how bad it was i would have got the nocturn (if it was out when i bought the zero)

and the nano i posted has more than one fader it has lots and there transposable too so you can have lots..if your worried about mixing midi connected instruments and usb instruments its ok they dont conflict ive got firewire/usb/midi stuff all going at the sametime with no problems at all..the trazport is ok but its really a remote control for turning your rcord button on and off and basically turns your transport controls wirelessly but the nano has all those controls too ..before you buy the transport mate find out exactlly what you want too do and see if it will do it ..you dont want to buy something expensive and then wish youd bought something else (ive done that a few times )

http://www.dv247.com/invt/25857/ tranzport
http://www.dv247.com/invt/52990/ nano control
http://www.dv247.com/invt/21929/ bcf2000 (if given the money id buy this over the tranzport it will give you more ways to grow as a producer and let you contro more things)
waxxy is offline Offline
Old 17th November 2008 , 02:41 PM
Forum Idol

thought id chime in to say, automap which is the GUI used by novation is not the most useful app, im very dissappointed with nocturn. i myself am very tempted to get the tranzport as it will come in handy when i rip vinyl etc. let me offer you this little device, i used to have it and its excellent!

its motorized controls the majority of parameters and is simply a really good controller the same people who make the tranzport and has seamless integration with cubase
http://twitter.com/djsureno
sureno is offline Offline
Old 17th November 2008 , 05:11 PM

"ecc there not dins there midi ports.."

MIDI ports ARE DIN's! Geez I've soldered enough plugs in my day, fekkin' awful things!

Sorry Waxy maybe I was not clear. My ek49 usb's to a pc, it also has a DIN! MIDI port. This goes to another pc to my 2496 MIDI DIN! Thus I do not have to jodrell about with the usb lead to control both computers. The best thing about the first pc is than even when powered down the usb ports still chuck out 5v so my keys stay bright!

Re the Tranzport and limitations, ta' but if it can do transport control and jog/shuttle MIDI data that will be enough for Son at this stage. I am sure within days of it going on line I shall be badgered by "why can't it do XYZ" but cross bridges...... I shall come and ask yous guys.

I have DEEP problems with Cubase on one pc and disappearing dvd drives on this one at the mo' . I hate computers!

Dave.
ecc83 is offline Offline
Old 19th November 2008 , 05:24 AM
Forum Idol

you should really consider the alphatrack above

Frontier Design AlphaTrack main features include:
  • Optimized for fast, high-quality DAW mixing and editing in a small footprint
  • Intuitive, innovative, and powerful controls in an attractive package
  • 100mm touch-sensitive, high-resolution (true 10-bit positions) motorized fader
  • Three touch-sensitive encoders ... context-specific feedback appears on the 32-character backlit display
  • Innovative touch-sensitive jog and shuttle strip for fast timeline control
  • 22 buttons and 21 LED's for track-specific and global functions
  • Works with Pro Tools, Sonar, Cubase, Reason, Digital Performer, Nuendo, Final Cut Pro, Soundtrack Pro, REAPER, and other DAW software applications
  • Works on Windows XP/Vista and Mac OS X computers (Mac OS 10.3.9 or later), including Intel Macs
  • Footswitch input on back panel
  • No external power adapter required ... single USB connection and small size make it great for laptops!
Old 19th November 2008 , 07:10 AM

Good morning Sureno,

I can see you are a bit keen on the Alpha Track!

I can only afford one item at the moment and I am going for the Tranzport because of its wireless capabilty and simplicity. As I said, the limitations will no doubt be announced in short order!

The next step will be a more complex controller I think and then I shall be asking again, BCF2000 or what else.

BTW I am going to ask if the usb reciever is available separately. If so this would be useful as I could have an extra one attached to my laptop. It is only used rarely for silent recording, the main pc's are too noisy for acoustic guitar capture e.g. If not ( but surely you can get than as a spare, post #12 boot event?) I shall re investigate "usb over LAN" a wee app' that allows certain usb devices to operate any other pc on a network and no, you can't use it to get multiple Cubase dongles! But you can "virtually move" a dongle.

Thanks for all your help chaps, going to order the Tranz' today, dv247 of course!
Dave.
ecc83 is offline Offline
Old 19th November 2008 , 11:20 AM
Forum Idol

lol yeah a little
no worries let us know how you find the tranzport
Old 19th November 2008 , 01:46 PM
Forum Poet

This does have my interest. In fact, I was re-watching the video about it - the winters just fly by.

Carry on.