DV247 Forums - A Global Community for Music Makers Lowest Price Guaranteed, Free Delivery, Free 3 Year Warranty
Go Back   DV247 Forums - A Global Community for Music Makers > Music Equipment Discussion > Keyboards, Modules & Hardware Synths
Forgot Password? Join Us!
Home Register Groups FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Go to DV247.com
New to Forums or just joined? Why not start your journey here?

Keyboards, Modules & Hardware Synths Synthesizers, workstation keyboards, digital pianos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11th September 2008 , 09:57 PM

Default How to create a drum and bass line sound.

A friend of mine wishes to write some music and could do with something like a drum machine but with the capability of being able to make a programable bass line. I am not familiar with all the latest gadgets, but I was thinking that may be he needs a sequencer to do this.

He has just purchased a Tascam 24 track studio from 247.com and would like to use what ever device will do the job with the studio. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Acorn
Acorn is offline Offline
Old 12th September 2008 , 07:31 AM
Costa Del Cool

You haven't mentioned what type of music your friend wants to produce.

If you are thinking along the lines of a sequencer/DAW for drums and bass then have a look at something like Reason to start with. It may not be what you're after but then there are lots of DAWs like Cubase, Live, Sonar, Logic, ProTools, Digital Performer, FL Studio etc etc. If you are going that route, I would suggest downloading demos and playing around with them until you find the one you like best.

I'm not sure if there are drum machines which also do bass. Someone else might advise you better.
sphelan is offline Offline
Old 12th September 2008 , 09:50 AM

After some searching and research I have come across the Alesis SR18 which is a drum machine with bass. As far as I can tell you can program a bass line in, I don't know how it compares to other systems. I have come across similar machines by Boss but it looks like you get a lot less for a much higher price.

If anyone out there has used drum machines with what I think is a built in bass sequencer, your opinion would be appreciated.

Thanks Sphelan for your reply, my friend will be using the Tascam 24 track recorder to record on rather than a computer based system. The type of music he will be doing is varied, but mainly along the lines of jass/funk.

Acorn
Acorn is offline Offline
Old 12th September 2008 , 09:58 AM
Pushing the Envelope

The Alesis SR-18 is a solid choice, from a long-standing heritage.

The bass sounds aren't ultra-realistic or anything, but perfectly playable and good for what it sounds like your friend's spec is.

Failing that, you could always go to ebay and simply type 'drum machine' then anything that takes your fancy price wise look up on Vintage Synth Explorer to see if it suits.
mutilatedlip is offline Offline
Old 12th September 2008 , 11:22 AM

If i am not mistaken the akai mpc series (1000 and later) have built in the ability of making bass lines without using external sampling.
Old 12th September 2008 , 12:51 PM
Costa Del Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acorn View Post

Thanks Sphelan for your reply, my friend will be using the Tascam 24 track recorder to record on rather than a computer based system. The type of music he will be doing is varied, but mainly along the lines of jass/funk.

Acorn
My knowledge base on technical matters is limited but I try to help where I can. Seeing as you had mentioned "sequencer" I presumed you were thinking of adding a computer based system. Sorry!
sphelan is offline Offline
Old 12th September 2008 , 03:39 PM
Hell-Rider

If your friend can stretch to it id say something like an MPC500 as you can load up any samples etc and pitch accordingly.
JAYDMF is offline Offline
Old 12th September 2008 , 06:03 PM

Thanks for all your replies, I will look up the Akai MPC series of machines to see how they compare.

Thanks again for your help.

Acorn
Acorn is offline Offline
Old 12th September 2008 , 07:13 PM
Administrator

Not so much about the 'gadget' to make it, but this tutorial seems to define the drum 'n bass programming and arrangement ethos which may help your friend..

drum n bass in fruity loops