DV247 Forums - A Global Community for Music Makers Lowest Price Guaranteed, Free Delivery, Free 3 Year Warranty
Go Back   DV247 Forums - A Global Community for Music Makers > Music Equipment Discussion > Keyboards, Modules & Hardware Synths
Forgot Password? Join Us!
Home Register Groups FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Go to DV247.com
New to Forums or just joined? Why not start your journey here?

Keyboards, Modules & Hardware Synths Synthesizers, workstation keyboards, digital pianos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 6th August 2008 , 10:08 PM
Hell-Rider

Damn is all i can say thats not good, alt least your still alive and kicking which is the main thing. Id email Waldorf ASAP. not a good start tho. sorry to hear about this
JAYDMF is offline Offline
Old 7th August 2008 , 02:09 PM
Rave Digga

bloody hell i hope your ok geoff id go see about getting a claim in ..its like the adverts say "were theres blame theres a claim"

and also contact the place you bought it from because they need to know about this fault if you had a weak heart you could be dead..

also thinking about it are you sure your name isnt james bond?maybe jaws sold it too you lol
waxxy is offline Offline
Old 11th August 2008 , 10:50 AM
Hell-Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by waxxy View Post
have you decided which one your gonna buy yet jay?
Finally made a decision, although i cant buy just yet as i havent been paid but im going to get a Micro Q instead, has everything that he blofeld has plus a vocoder and multiple outputs and is expandable to 75 voices (although i doubt i'll need that) and its kills 2 birds with one stone as in OS2.0 and higher you can route audio through the filters in either seriesor parrallel without reducing the amount of voices available to the synth. Bit limited on the wavetables as it only has 2 but they are twice the size of the blofelds (ie 128 waves in each rather than 64) and according to people ive spoken to the blofelds wavetables are laid out in a much different way ie the tables are designed to be swept through and have relative harmonic content where as the Qand micro Q have the same idea as the micro wave series in that all waves are very different and that interpoloation is where the smooth changes come from so fast sweeps give that clunky near wavestation feel. From what ive seen and read this seems to be true so i think thats the best bit of kit for me and its a steal at around 350
Old 15th August 2008 , 10:51 AM
DV Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff0555 View Post
looking on the funny side, as i got the electric shock i was looking at the LCD screen on the Blofeld and the boot up message says "with love from Germany"

LOL good un, cool that you can actually see the funny side

Is the Blofeld fried then? I know someone who wouldnt hesitate suing the manufacturer after this...
gzweb is offline Offline
Last edited by gzweb; 15th August 2008 at 10:57 AM. . <
Old 15th August 2008 , 01:56 PM

that's mental about the electric shock. I was looking at possibly getting it. Might get a Korg Radias instead
Lighthouses is offline Offline
Old 15th August 2008 , 02:27 PM
Spectrum Idoliser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lighthouses View Post
that's mental about the electric shock. I was looking at possibly getting it. Might get a Korg Radias instead
I can't imagine that a large number of the Blofeld's have the same problem as the one Geoff0555 bought. I mean the one I played at my local music shop was completely fine, and if you type "Waldorf Blofeld electric shock" in Google, this thread is the only result to come up with a coherent result. So it was really just unlucky, and it could've got damaged during transit; especially as they would test each one to meet quality standards.
Old 16th August 2008 , 11:56 AM

[QUOTE=JAYDMF;3628]Finally made a decision, although i cant buy just yet as i havent been paid but im going to get a Micro Q instead, has everything that he blofeld has plus a vocoder and multiple outputs and is expandable to 75 voices (although i doubt i'll need that) and its kills 2 birds with one stone as in OS2.0 and higher you can route audio through the filters in either seriesor parrallel without reducing the amount of voices available to the synth. Bit limited on the wavetables as it only has 2 but they are twice the size of the blofelds (ie 128 waves in each rather than 64) and according to people ive spoken to the blofelds wavetables are laid out in a much different way ie the tables are designed to be swept through and have relative harmonic content where as the Qand micro Q have the same idea as the micro wave series in that all waves are very different and that interpoloation is where the smooth changes come from so fast sweeps give that clunky near wavestation feel. From what ive seen and read this seems to be true so i think thats the best bit of kit for me and its a steal at around 350 [/QUOTE]
Hello! I'm new to the DV forum. Signed up earlier in 08 but have been slack about sorting my profile etc due to work commitments.

I'm on a budget & looking for a quality module that will deliver. I've been steered down the soft synth route but prefer the reliability of hardware & am a seasoned Proteus 2000 owner. My key requirement is the quality of the sounds & ability to modulate. I'll probably use the onboard FX but will also be using outboard FX via send/return on a desk. The Waldorf Micro Q & Blofeld appeal for obvious reasons & after reading your recent entry I am now also swaying towards the Micro Q mainly because of its physical outputs & mid i/o - also keen on the rackmount chassis as it saves space Somehow feel like I might be missing somehting bypassing the blofeld though, mayb interms of sound sets, upgrade capacity etc? Could you possibly offer any wisdom here?
spectral is offline Offline
Old 16th August 2008 , 01:36 PM
Hell-Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by spectral View Post
Hello! I'm new to the DV forum. Signed up earlier in 08 but have been slack about sorting my profile etc due to work commitments.

I'm on a budget & looking for a quality module that will deliver. I've been steered down the soft synth route but prefer the reliability of hardware & am a seasoned Proteus 2000 owner. My key requirement is the quality of the sounds & ability to modulate. I'll probably use the onboard FX but will also be using outboard FX via send/return on a desk. The Waldorf Micro Q & Blofeld appeal for obvious reasons & after reading your recent entry I am now also swaying towards the Micro Q mainly because of its physical outputs & mid i/o - also keen on the rackmount chassis as it saves space Somehow feel like I might be missing somehting bypassing the blofeld though, mayb interms of sound sets, upgrade capacity etc? Could you possibly offer any wisdom here?
I cant really guide you too much here as i dont actually have one yet, all i can say is that ive spent a lot of time making this decision and unless you want just a wavetable synthesizer (the blofeld can do more than just wavetable but the micro Q i would say offers more as in wavetable mode you can have 5 osc per voice rather than 3) then the Micro Q seems to be a much better package.
As far as i'm aware the Blofeld has no expantion available atm but waldorf are kinda notorious for releasing many revisions of OS for most of their synths. The only thing i would say is that the Micro Q has been doing the rounds for some time so bugs in the OS seem to have been all ironed out where as the blofeld is still experiencing problems with its OS (but if you read reviews nearly every Waldorf synth has gone through this so its just a case of time)

For me personally im looking for a workhorse to couple with reaktor, i need something that is easily editable using outboard controllers and has alternative uses such as effects processing and filtering and the Micro Q fills this roll for me.

The blofeld, as im sure your aware, only has a stereo output and you cant run any signal through its filters/effects and although is multitimbral this can only be used down the usb as far as i know. This is great but somewhat limiting if you want to run multiple parts through different outboard processors and due to the nature of the chasis its not going to be possible to add more outputs. That said it could be a matter of time before a bigger rack version appears offering more voices and features but thats not going to happen for a while.

The only thing i would say is dont expect it to be anything like your proteus, waldorfs are not what i would call "normal" synths, they can do some pretty nice sounds but they are designed to be electronic sounding synths and are very clinical in their sound, they work if you like filthy weird pads, glitches or just screaming leads. If you go to this link and search for the Q, Micro Q or Microwave synths you'll get an idea of the sort of sounds and theres some good demos on you tube which really show off some of what you'll be getting. Its hard to judge reviews on such a module as people either love or hate waldorfs but if your after these types of sounds dont be swayed as everyone ive spoken to that likes them says they really are amazing synths to use once you get inside them .

I'm actually ordering mine today so if you want to wait i can give you a full low down when i get mine. Hope this helps.

You tube vid 1

You tube vid 2
Old 16th August 2008 , 02:42 PM

Hey there

thanx so much for the info! I'm really looking for as u say... synth sounds. Proper synthetic modular electronic pads etc. I get plenty of authentic strings & winds from the P2K & made good of the orchestral ROMs when still around.

The lack of physical i/o on the Blofeld is one of the main concerns. I'm used to being able to output individual presets via the 'sub' outs on the p2k & that really makes a difference to the way I work. Ideally the Micro Q will be a back up synth for adding 'those spacey textures' to the stuff I'm making so it will not work as hard as the P2K but still has to deliver. Maybe the Micro Q's 'physical' versatility makes it the more 'road worthy' for broader apps?

Do you know much about the Yamaha Motif ES? Heard good & bad but more good recently.

Will check the links & by all means please let em know what u make of the Micro Q when you've run it for a bit - I'm intrigued!
spectral is offline Offline
Old 16th August 2008 , 02:49 PM
Hell-Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by spectral View Post
Hey there

thanx so much for the info! I'm really looking for as u say... synth sounds. Proper synthetic modular electronic pads etc. I get plenty of authentic strings & winds from the P2K & made good of the orchestral ROMs when still around.

The lack of physical i/o on the Blofeld is one of the main concerns. I'm used to being able to output individual presets via the 'sub' outs on the p2k & that really makes a difference to the way I work. Ideally the Micro Q will be a back up synth for adding 'those spacey textures' to the stuff I'm making so it will not work as hard as the P2K but still has to deliver. Maybe the Micro Q's 'physical' versatility makes it the more 'road worthy' for broader apps?

Do you know much about the Yamaha Motif ES? Heard good & bad but more good recently.

Will check the links & by all means please let em know what u make of the Micro Q when you've run it for a bit - I'm intrigued!

Im not really that much of a fan of the yamaha stuff to be perfectly honest, sound nice enough but not really my bag.

I know exactly what you mean about the sub outs tho as my morpheus is the same and i find it the best way of working as its more flexible. The micro Q like i say is a work horse and because of that the physical side is present which for me is much better. I will update here when ive had a play and let you know what the score is. Good luck on finding the right synth tho, i know how hard it can be.
Old 24th September 2008 , 09:58 PM
Hell-Rider

Ok, so i didnt end up with a Micro Q because no one has stock of them anywhere in the UK atm. So i ordered a blofeld, and it arrived today.

What can i say, Holy F*%^n' sh*t man this thimg kicks ass, filters are filth, the wavetables are everything from silky smooth to full on saw mania and everything in between, modulation options are mind boggling and the effects are sweet.

Ive made a couple of patches for it already and its really easy to get your head around thanks to the Waldorf control layout, figured out all of the controls within about 15 mins.

Updating the OS was a bit of a chore, just will not have it through cubase so if anyone is trying to update use the Sweet MIDI player as this works perfectly and is only a 200kb download, update takes seconds and fixes some rather nasty bugs, plus it gives you the PPG LP filter

I'll put some sample clips up soon.

All i can say is buy one you wont regret it, for 300 it does give much more expensive synths a run for their money.
Old 24th September 2008 , 10:52 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAYDMF View Post
Edit:

I'll put some sample clips up soon.
Looking forward to hearing those Jay
Old 4th October 2008 , 06:31 PM
Hell-Rider

2 birds with one stone here.

I was making a new tune with the blofeld and so as id said i post up some demo type jobbies i though this would be good. I've just posted a new tune up on MySpaz (Times is the track, it may not show up yet as its "processing") which is entirely the blofeld and Battery, give you a bit of a taste of what it can do, and yes i apologise for the cheese .

i'll post some demos of things like the drive curves on the filter here soon too as i didnt really use those that much on this track. All the effects are from cubase (mainly roomworks SE and Waves plugs) theres not that much processing on the blofeld tracks apart from EQ/Comp and occasional bit of chorus.
Old 3rd December 2008 , 03:36 PM

I just got my Blofeld today and I am amazed by it. I also have a Virus TI Polar so have something good to compare against.

What I like the most is that the module is small and I am about to go off to Italy for a business trip and can now take this, my MacBook pro and Korg Nanokey and do some music while away.

It rocks - it really does.
Byron is offline Offline
Old 14th July 2009 , 05:49 PM
Hell-Rider

Just a quick update im sure most people are aware of this as im a bit behind the times but the License SL for the blofeld is available and also OS1.13 which unlocks the sample memory of the blofeld desktop. 88 from certain companies ( i wish DV dealt with Waldorf) and Spectre (free sample librarian software) is also available for download from waldorfs site.