DV247 Forums - A Global Community for Music Makers Lowest Price Guaranteed, Free Delivery, Free 3 Year Warranty
Go Back   DV247 Forums - A Global Community for Music Makers > News > The Hot Link
Forgot Password? Join Us!
Home Register Groups FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Go to DV247.com
New to Forums or just joined? Why not start your journey here?

The Hot Link A digital 'Heads-Up' to Web content that might stimulate your creativity

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 19th September 2008 , 01:26 PM
Forum Scribe

Default Nice way to learn Music Theory...

I am just getting deeper into Music theory and I think this website is a really nice slow paced way to get into it.

Just pick a lesson (on the left) and hit the large play button after you choose a lesson (bottom right of screen) to learn at your own pace.

Ricci Adams Music theory

Click on the Downloads tab to download an offline edition of the entire site!
Monarch is offline Offline
Last edited by Monarch; 19th September 2008 at 01:28 PM. . <
Old 19th September 2008 , 01:53 PM
Forum Idol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monarch View Post
I am just getting deeper into Music theory and I think this website is a really nice slow paced way to get into it.

Just pick a lesson (on the left) and hit the large play button after you choose a lesson (bottom right of screen) to learn at your own pace.

Ricci Adams Music theory

Click on the Downloads tab to download an offline edition of the entire site!
nice link i use the good ol' AB guide's to music theory 1&2, music theory is the most boring side to this game i find, interactive sites help no end to keeping it fresh
http://twitter.com/djsureno
sureno is offline Offline
Old 19th September 2008 , 01:57 PM

nice link monarch, its been a while since i studied music theory so a refresher wouldnt hurt
conor_j is offline Offline
Old 19th September 2008 , 03:23 PM

i have seen that site the other day i was going to post it today but i guess you did it first. Nice work
Old 19th September 2008 , 08:37 PM
Forum Scribe

Thanks for the comments guys. Every little bit helps to create a really useful resource for everyone...that way everyone is a winner. I think new members will get a very strong first impression when visting this forum for the first time.

I have been very impressed since joining these forums. Very well laid out with friendly knowledgeable mods and members. Hopefully my contributions (where possible) will make things easier in some way or another for those looking for help in a particular area.

It's fun sharing on this forum.
Old 20th September 2008 , 02:12 PM
Costa Del Cool

Monarch last night I posted a thread on music theory http://forums.dv247.com/tips-n-trick...-1-a.htmlwhich had been work in progress for a couple of days. In the meanwhile Monarch your post reached daylight. Just in case you think I was stepping on your territory I wanted you to know that this was something that I had been planning for a while and came from discussion on another thread Who's actually studied music.
sphelan is offline Offline
Old 20th September 2008 , 03:55 PM
Forum Scribe

Quote:
Originally Posted by sphelan View Post
Monarch last night I posted a thread on music theory http://forums.dv247.com/tips-n-trick...-1-a.htmlwhich had been work in progress for a couple of days. In the meanwhile Monarch your post reached daylight. Just in case you think I was stepping on your territory I wanted you to know that this was something that I had been planning for a while and came from discussion on another thread Who's actually studied music.
No worries *at all* sphelan. Even if there is some duplication of information I think that is surely unavoidable. At the end of the day we are all discussing the same thing...Music. Different aspects of it yes, but it's still all linked to Music in some way. With that in mind I doubt any one (even the mods) have a problem with a degree of duplication of info.

I don't think it can be avoided in many if not most situations in some way or the other. Actually it might even help (in some cases) as a user may be looking for something in one thread that he cannot find in another, even though they are discussing the same thing.

This thread does indeed cover the same topic as yours but I think one could dedicate many different types of "forum's" to discussing the various aspects of Music Theory. It's massive.

So the more information on it on DV's forums, the better IMO.

I will link this thread to yours as well, with a post on your thread so that other members can find them both easily. It's all good!
Old 20th September 2008 , 03:57 PM
Costa Del Cool

Quote:
No worries *at all* sphelan. Even if there is some duplication of information I think that is surely unavoidable. At the end of the day we are all discussing the same thing...Music. Different aspects of it yes, but it's still all linked to Music in some way. With that in mind I doubt any one (even the mods) have a problem with a degree of duplication of info.

I don't think it can be avoided in many if not most situations in some way or the other. Actually it might even help (in some cases) as a user may be looking for something in one thread that he cannot find in another, even though they are discussing the same thing.

This thread does indeed cover the same topic as yours but I think one could dedicate many different types of "forum's" to discussing the various aspects of Music Theory. It's massive.

So the more information on it on DV's forums, the better IMO.

I will link this thread to yours as well, with a post on your thread so that other members can find them both easily. It's all good!
The link is there in my last post!

BTW, I've had a look at the site you recommened. I like the powerpoint-style presentation of the material. And it's got sound examples!! Worth checking out indeed.
Old 20th September 2008 , 04:43 PM
Forum Scribe

Quote:
Originally Posted by sphelan View Post
The link is there in my last post!
Yes the link to your thread is there so anyone coming to this thread can see it, but I also wanted to post a link to this thread from yours as well, to make it even easier for members interested in Music Theory to easily and quickly cross reference both threads.

Quote:
BTW, I've had a look at the site you recommened. I like the powerpoint-style presentation of the material. And it's got sound examples!! Worth checking out indeed.
Cheers sphelan, your thread has plenty of info on Music Theory as well and provides a different approach that is also most definitely worth checking out!
Old 20th September 2008 , 04:50 PM
Costa Del Cool

Quote:
Yes the link to your thread is there so anyone coming to this thread can see it, but I also wanted to post a link to this thread from yours as well, to make it even easier for members interested in Music Theory to easily and quickly cross reference both threads.

Cheers sphelan, your thread has plenty of info on Music Theory as well and provides a different approach that is also most definitely worth checking out!
+1. I've just seen that. I had misunderstood you.
Old 31st October 2008 , 12:56 PM

I am a music theory freak and have my own site up with free theory lessons if you want to take a peak! It's aimed more at people taking the music theory exams but you might find something useful on there all the same.
([URL="http://www.mymusictheory.com"]www.mymusictheory.com[/URL])
Good luck and just give me a shout if you have any theory questions - my degree was in musicology!
Old 31st October 2008 , 01:49 PM
Forum Scribe

Impressive website sprite Lots of good info there. I was wondering though...why you have Grade 1 lessons and then a jump to Grade 5 on your site?
Old 31st October 2008 , 02:58 PM

Good question! Just catering to the masses really! Grade five is the most popular level, because if you want to do further than grade 5 on an instrument you have to pass grade 5 theory first. I started the site with just grade 5.

It takes me a long time to write all the material and get all the examples done out, so I can only work on one grade at a time, and grade one is the next most popular level according to the ABRSM who set the exams.

I think grade six will be next. A bit topsy-turvy I know, but there is method in the madness!

Thanks for the compliments btw!
Old 31st October 2008 , 09:19 PM
Forum Scribe

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprite View Post
Good question! Just catering to the masses really! Grade five is the most popular level, because if you want to do further than grade 5 on an instrument you have to pass grade 5 theory first. I started the site with just grade 5.
Ahhh ok. That explains it.

Quote:
It takes me a long time to write all the material and get all the examples done out, so I can only work on one grade at a time, and grade one is the next most popular level according to the ABRSM who set the exams.
I can imagine it must take ages to put together...ok that also explains the grade 1 deal

Quote:
I think grade six will be next. A bit topsy-turvy I know, but there is method in the madness!

Thanks for the compliments btw!
Yeah keep it going...you have come this far, you must know exactly what you are doing to say the least. Well done.