DV247 Forums - A Global Community for Music Makers Lowest Price Guaranteed, Free Delivery, Free 3 Year Warranty
Go Back   DV247 Forums - A Global Community for Music Makers > Guitars > Guitar Heaven
Forgot Password? Join Us!
Home Register Groups FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Go to DV247.com
New to Forums or just joined? Why not start your journey here?

Guitar Heaven The place to discuss Electric and Acoustic guitars

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 25th July 2011 , 04:12 PM
Sound Guru

Question Good starter banjo?

Anyone out there familiar with banjos? What's a good quality starter banjo? Something not too low-end, but good value is always appreciated. I don't want to grow out of it quickly, and it needs to sound good recorded as well... any suggestions? I don't even really know what to look for when trying them out... any thoughts there would be welcome as well!
Old 31st October 2011 , 12:27 PM

Check their inventory. Should give you an idea of top to bottom grades.

http://www.gruhn.com/

"BNL: What is your current banjo?

NP: It’s a 1941 Gibson PB-7 top tension. Charlie Cushman had just started working at Gruhn Guitars setting up banjos and this was the first great banjo he got to work on there. I went to Gruhn’s with David Grier and played the banjo. I really liked it, though I couldn’t imagine taking the plunge, given the prices of pre-war flatheads. Fast-forward three months later: Gruhn still had the banjo and I had been checking the website every couple of days to see if it was still there. I went back and played it again for a whole day. Charlie said to me, “That is your banjo; you need to do whatever you can to buy it.” When Charlie said that, it stuck with me. He believes there is the right instrument for the right musician, and it’s really important to recognize that. I thought it was the best flathead I had played that was available for sale. It seemed to fit my style and attack from the first time I tried it. I had a new neck built by Robin Smith. It’s unusual for a top-tension because it is mahogany, but has the traditional top-tension inlays and headstock. It has 24 frets. I wanted a mahogany neck with 24 frets, but I worried that centering the bridge on the head would change the sound too much. Robin built the neck with the fretboard overhanging the banjo head. This particular neck has made the banjo come even more alive. The C# and D (the extra two notes) sound very natural, like they’re supposed to be there. I’d say it sounds even better now than when I bought it. It’s really a remarkable instrument."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Noam_Pikelny

Video for ya.

Seems a very good range they have here...
http://www.dv247.com/guitars/banjos/
FRETPICK is offline Offline
Last edited by FRETPICK; 31st October 2011 at 12:45 PM. . <
Old 12th December 2016 , 07:52 AM

[QUOTE=whitecat;55021]Anyone out there familiar with banjos? What's a good quality starter banjo? Something not too low-end, but good value is always appreciated. I don't want to grow out of it quickly, and it needs to sound good recorded as well... any suggestions? I don't even really know what to look for when trying them out... any thoughts there would be welcome as well![/QUOTE]

I like Deering Banjos myself. Good quality instruments and sound great recorded. Some of the lower end ones are a steal for the money.
MIDIMan is offline Offline