DV247 Forums - A Global Community for Music Makers Lowest Price Guaranteed, Free Delivery, Free 3 Year Warranty
Go Back   DV247 Forums - A Global Community for Music Makers > Guitars > Guitar Heaven
Forgot Password? Join Us!
Home Register Groups FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Go to DV247.com
New to Forums or just joined? Why not start your journey here?

Guitar Heaven The place to discuss Electric and Acoustic guitars

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 19th February 2009 , 12:49 PM

Exclamation ESP LTD EX 401 OW Electric Guitar

Just got the EX 401 guitar yesterday in Olympic White and all I can say is that it's fantastic. I've wanted an explorer style guitar for a long time now, and I was looking at the EX 401 and also at the Gibson Explorer, think I made the right decision in the end though, the spec. for the Gibson explorer was so similar to the EX 401 that I can't see it making much difference to the sound quality and the price of the Gibson is ridiculous. I'm sure with Gibson you're just paying for the name.

The design of the EX is so harsh and in white it just makes it stand out even more, the moulded neck is a nice feature and I'm not sure but I think the whole guitar is one piece of wood either way it's got great sustain and the finish on the guitar is beautiful. I also like the hardware colour, it's black nickel but it almost looks chromed, it's just really cool.

The active EMG pickups are amazing, they cut through so much in both neck and bridge position. Mine's got the standard 81 in the bridge pos and the 60 in the neck pos which is great.

The only problem I've had with the guitar so far it the action on it, there's a lot of fret buzz on the lower frets on the bottom E, but I've spoken to someone about it and this is supposedly easily rectified, guess I'll find out soon enough though!

The guitar I was playing before the EX was the Kirk Hammett signature, the base model KH202 and that was 550 when I bought it, the EX was 574 but the difference between these two guitars is simply staggering, the build quality is much better on the EX and the sound quality is also much better. I've been thinking of getting the EMG 81, 85 combo for my KH though, anyone know whether this will make much difference?

I'd definitely recommend this guitar to anyone who loves playing metal music or rhythm guitar. Other people have commented on it's lack of versatility but I find that it can switch to jazz, bluesy tones really easily and the clean tone through the 60 in the neck pos is really warm, so it's everything I could need in all honesty.
Last edited by LiamK89; 26th March 2009 at 11:40 AM. . <
Old 6th March 2009 , 05:23 PM

Question

Quote:
I've been thinking of getting the EMG 81, 85 combo for my KH though, anyone know whether this will make much difference?
Any takers??