DV247 Forums - A Global Community for Music Makers Lowest Price Guaranteed, Free Delivery, Free 3 Year Warranty
Go Back   DV247 Forums - A Global Community for Music Makers > Guitars > Guitar Heaven
Forgot Password? Join Us!
Home Register Groups FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Go to DV247.com
New to Forums or just joined? Why not start your journey here?

Guitar Heaven The place to discuss Electric and Acoustic guitars

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 28th November 2008 , 07:54 AM

Default LAG guitars

I'm not sure if DV sell these, so to be on the safe side I won't mention where I got my LAG Jet from at the price I paid (99) but there are a couple of places that are easy enough to find online.

I wasn't looking for yet another guitar, but found a link on another forum to a LAG Roxane at the same price. I was tempted as they seem to have a decent enough rep, but all my guitars are humbucker-ed, so rooted about and found a Jet (3 single coil) and simply couldn't resist. It arrived on Tuesday, and if my initial impressions were favourable, it's got better and better since

OK, the pups aren't the hottest around, but they'll do for me, in fact I think this will be the first guitar I've bought at any price where I won't be upgrading the pups, as the stock pups have plenty enough character. Overall, the build quality is near faultless, with only the lack of binding on the neck a possible issue as the fret slots are open and will become dirt magnets over time. The maple neck and fretboard (one piece?) is beautifully smooth and the action is to die for, I only had to lower the top E to bring it in line with the rest, and even restrung with 9's (I'd run out of 10's) it's virtually buzz free.

On closer inspection, a couple of the frets were slightly tarnished, but nothings 10 minutes of good old elbow grease didn't put right, perhaps this was the reason for the low price as I've seen varying list prices from 189 to 249. Then again the colour, Holly Green, may have proven unpopular, so that may have played a part in the price.

I've been playing for 30+ years now, and wish guitars of this quality had been around when I first started. All in all, this is a gem for so little money, perfect for a backup or first guitar, and if mine is typical, they are highly recommended by moi. Mine is only for home use, and if anything happened to it, assuming I could get another at the same price, I'd do it in a heartbeat
Ian B is offline Offline
Old 28th November 2008 , 09:55 PM
Forum Poet

I'd never heard of these. Just done a bit of reading up and pricing.

What type of make does it sound closest to?
Old 29th November 2008 , 06:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Am_Bic_Pentameter View Post
I'd never heard of these. Just done a bit of reading up and pricing.

What type of make does it sound closest to?
It's very strat-esque to my admittedly cloth ears. I can't in all honesty compare it to a genuine strat for overall quality soundwise, but it does a fair impersonation. There isn't a deal of sustain for one thing, but these pups have one major plus point for me, they might be single coil but they are very, very quiet, even using high gain settings on my AD15VT

I believe LAG claim these guitars are hand made in France, but it's common knowledge only the prototypes were before being shipped out to a factory in China for them to copy. Lag may well get the guitars in kit form and assemble them in France, hence the hand made claim, but I think that only applies to the higher end models.

I know buying a guitar online, unseen and untried is usually frowned on, but I've done this lots of times over the past few years and I've yet to be disappointed, and this one is up there with the best considering the price. I'm told they are pretty widely available in shops, tho' I've yet to see one in any of my local stores.
Ian B is offline Offline
Last edited by Ian B; 2nd December 2008 at 08:46 AM. . <
Old 2nd December 2008 , 12:57 PM
Forum Poet

Thanks for that - I thought by its set up that it was going for the strat sound on that particular model and it was just a question of whether it was close enough to it.

I'll do some research on the make and see how it stacks up
Old 2nd December 2008 , 05:29 PM

It's got the usual *twang* for a 3 single coil setup, just don't expect miracles. Having had it a few days now, I've gotta say I'm even more impressed with the overall playability/build quality (barring the cheap'n'nasty tremelo) so much so that, even tho' I said I wouldn't, I'm giving serious thought to upgrading the pups, and all my other guitars haven't been touched since it arrived. It's an absolute joy to play, the neck is super smooth and pretty slim, which when you add the ridiculously low action, means it's perfect for me.

I'm not sure how well they compare to other strat-esque guitars in the full price range this sells at, but at only 99 it's a steal imo and I could upgrade the pups without spending a lot in total.
Ian B is offline Offline