DV247 Forums - A Global Community for Music Makers Lowest Price Guaranteed, Free Delivery, Free 3 Year Warranty
Go Back   DV247 Forums - A Global Community for Music Makers > Music Be The Food.. > Great Musicians, Producers & Classic Tracks
Forgot Password? Join Us!
Home Register Groups FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Go to DV247.com
New to Forums or just joined? Why not start your journey here?

Great Musicians, Producers & Classic Tracks The Classics you love, the Musicians who played, and the Producers behind the hits!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 28th July 2008 , 08:18 PM
Rave Digga

Default whats your favourite movie theme?

whats your favourite movie theme and why?

mine has too be star wars all it takes it too hear the first opening notes and im transported back too 1977 and i remember sitting there with my jaw wide open,not moving for 2 hours and after i watched it me and my dad hid in the toilets so we could sneak in and watch it all over again..that has too be my happiest childhood memory oh and the memory of going straight out too wollworths and my dad buying me my first starwars figure (luke skywalker) in fact i love starwars so much i named by baby luke after luke skywalker

i orginally wanted too call him boba fett but the wife said it wasnt a catholic name so we comprimised and called him luke lol.i think it would have been cool too call my kid boba fett he could have had loads of nick names like fetty ,.....

and i thank john williams for giving us music which reignites memorys off were we first heard his songs..i know some classical music critics hate him but i think some of his tunes have more emotion than many off the so called classics which they worship .
waxxy is offline Offline
Old 28th July 2008 , 08:40 PM
Round The Horn

Close Encounters of the 3rd Kind
That five note riff is a main character in the movie. You really get to know why you're home theatre system has a sub-woofer when the alien ship plays the tune and breaks the windows ( the windows in the movie, not my double glazing, well, not yet anyway ).

The Good the Bad and the Ugly
Another simple but highly effective riff.

Once Upon a Time in America
Well, I love Sergio Leone films and Ennio Morricone scored a beautifully haunting soundtrack.
saxman is offline Offline
Old 28th July 2008 , 08:50 PM
Rave Digga

oh yeah i forgot about the clint eastwood theme thats a pure classic ..in fact ill try and dig my dvd out of that and watch it tonight
waxxy is offline Offline
Old 28th July 2008 , 10:22 PM

I have spent a large amount of time listening to movie themes trying to develop and improve my writing style. I have a few faviorites but there are a few that stand out for me, heres my mini list:

1) Where dreams are made - from AI
2) Star Trek - First contact theme
3) Theme to schindlers list.

The good, bad and the ugly is certainly an excellent classic along with movies like the great escape I think will always be around but sadly not peices I could just listen to.
coppockn is offline Offline
Old 28th July 2008 , 11:52 PM

Thumbs up

Requiem for a Dream, directed by Darren Aronofsky, soundtrack composed by Clint Mansell.

'borrowed' for movie trailers and adverts... fantastic piece of music.

Slightly O.T. anyone enjoy The fountain?
Old 29th July 2008 , 03:34 PM

Default Bladerunner

For me it has to be the main title theme for Bladerunner.. followed closely by Rachel's Theme from the same movie - SO emotive
cut_N_paste is offline Offline
Old 29th July 2008 , 03:54 PM
Sound Guru

My favourite outright theme would have to be from Indiana Jones... the 'Raiders March' as it's officially called. Great stuff, gets my heart racing!

There are lots of great scores though that I love which are more about subtlety than outright theme tunes..
whitecat is offline Offline
Old 30th July 2008 , 09:09 AM
Round The Horn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mevi View Post
Slightly O.T. anyone enjoy The fountain?
Oh yes !

Visually stunning. Great performance from Hugh Jackman. The lovely Rachel Weisz. Plus the film is a very unusual headf***, which is good
saxman is offline Offline
Old 30th July 2008 , 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saxman View Post
Oh yes !

Visually stunning. Great performance from Hugh Jackman. The lovely Rachel Weisz. Plus the film is a very unusual headf***, which is good
I know it got mixed reviews, but yes, I enjoyed it. Rumour is it that Darren Aronofsky is down to direct a new Robocop movie.....
Old 30th July 2008 , 10:13 AM
ndk

Does 'Always Look on the Bright Side of Life' from Monty Python's Life of Brian count? Great song from a classic film!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cut_N_paste View Post
For me it has to be the main title theme for Bladerunner..
That reminds me, I still have the 5 Disc Ultimate Collector's Edition of Blade runner still to watch! I haven't seen the film in years!
Old 30th July 2008 , 10:23 AM

Thinking of it, linking neatly via director Paul Verhoeven... Gerry Goldsmith's Total Recall score is also great.
Old 30th July 2008 , 11:26 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndk View Post
Does 'Always Look on the Bright Side of Life' from Monty Python's Life of Brian count? Great song from a classic film!!

That reminds me, I still have the 5 Disc Ultimate Collector's Edition of Blade runner still to watch! I haven't seen the film in years!
NDK.. you only sing that Monty Python song when you're "in the kitchen at parties" dontchya?

As for Bladerunner.. Oh yes, watched disc one the other week on full a/v surround and plasma.. considering I hadn't watched it for a (very....erm, very!) long time (and that was on fuzzy vhs via a dodgy 4:3 tv), the experience was spiritual to say the least.
Old 30th July 2008 , 11:34 AM
Rave Digga

modz1 you should get it on hd dvd its amazing itll blow you away.you can buy hd dvd players now for about 30 poundswith 2 or 3 movies thrown in and blade runner 2 disc special edition is only 4 pounds ..bargain !!!
waxxy is offline Offline
Old 30th July 2008 , 12:34 PM
Administrator

Default Old films - new technologies?

Quote:
Originally Posted by waxxy View Post
modz1 you should get it on hd dvd its amazing itll blow you away.
Hopefully I'm not drifting too far off topic here, but the quote above had me wondering.. Indeed, I watched the said movie on a HD ready plasma, but from a standard dvd disc and player (no upscaling..albeit, the latest visual cut from this year). Now then, my eyebrow was raised after Waxxy's comment about watching a film like this in full HD on a 1080p screen via blu ray or HDdvd.

Question is: If a film is from say, the 80's or 90's, 're-mastered' or not, HD cameras at filming and HD capable editing was not used.. So, will a blu ray version of an old film not shot/edited with such technology, have any justification to its purchase on a full HD DVD.... Oh, the mysteries of life
Old 30th July 2008 , 12:40 PM
Sound Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by modz1 View Post
Question is: If a film is from say, the 80's or 90's, 're-mastered' or not, HD cameras at filming and HD capable editing was not used.. So, will a blu ray version of an old film not shot/edited with such technology, have any justification to its purchase on a full HD DVD.... Oh, the mysteries of life
Yes! It was shot on film originally, virtually every Hollywood film was up until the late-90's (and the majority still are).

Film negative contains a much higher dynamic range and arguably a greater amount of detail than HD video.

So all they need to do is scan the film neg into their HD systems with a film recorder (typically running at what they call 2k or 4k resolution) and then cleaned up for mastering onto Blu-Ray.

The source picture is in fact very high quality - it'll still look 'of the time' because film stock technology has improved as well over the years - but it will blow away a standard DVD or VHS version in detail and contrast.
whitecat is offline Offline