DV247 Forums - A Global Community for Music Makers

DV247 Forums - A Global Community for Music Makers (/)
-   Great Musicians, Producers & Classic Tracks (http://forums.dv247.com/great-musicians-producers-classic-tracks/)
-   -   Edwyn Collins (http://forums.dv247.com/great-musicians-producers-classic-tracks/256-edwyn-collins.html)

cut_N_paste 10th July 2008 03:29 PM

Edwyn Collins

A true GREAT! I don't know how many of you saw the recent TV documentary on Edwyn's struggle to make a comeback performance after suffering a devastating illness involving brain surgery in 2005. He recorded this beautiful song just before this happened, and returned to the stage last year to sing at the BBC Electric Proms and make this video to You'll Never Know.
I've always admired his guitar playing ability, song-writing genius (some say he was "Morrisey even before Morrisey realised he was Edwyn..") and the darn sensuous groove he's got!
If you haven't yet fully discovered this artist, please do, I promise you will feel more enriched for doing so..
Edwyn Collins on MySpace

saxman 26th July 2008 01:31 AM

Thanks cut_N_paste
I remember listening to Orange Juice in the early 80's and I must mention his great distinctive voice, often pitched high and lyrical but also capable of low and smooth. I have not followed Edwyn's career since Orange Juice and it is indeed sad to learn of his illness. I did not see the documentary you mention but I am sure it will be on again and I will certainly watch out for it.

Tonymiro 29th July 2008 11:48 AM

Always liked Edwyn - great musician and performer.

The last time I saw him - Reading Festival way back in the 1990s he nearly started a riot. Well it wasn't his fault - we wanted another encore and Reading decided that enough was enough. First a sit down strike started. followed by cat calls and whistles and then some bright spark thought it might help if they tried to pull the tent over and throw it at security :eek: . Not really the sort of thing you expect at an Edwyn Collins gig!

Best,
Tony