DV247 Forums - A Global Community for Music Makers Lowest Price Guaranteed, Free Delivery, Free 3 Year Warranty
Go Back   DV247 Forums - A Global Community for Music Makers > Gig Search > Gigs Offered
Forgot Password? Join Us!
Home Register Groups FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Go to DV247.com
New to Forums or just joined? Why not start your journey here?

Gigs Offered Need a band member, musician or DJ? Offering work in any music related arena? - then post here

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12th August 2008 , 03:31 PM
Jeremy Lumsden

Default Dave Smith Instruments looking for a Synth Designer

[IMG]http://www.dv247.com/assets/news/dv247/davesmith.jpg[/IMG]

Dave Smith Instruments are looking for a synth designer. [URL="http://www.davesmithinstruments.com/news/job.php"]More here[/URL]
Old 12th August 2008 , 10:33 PM
Hell-Rider

I would kill for this job, shame i dont meet any of the requirements
JAYDMF is offline Offline
Old 13th August 2008 , 01:28 PM
Rave Digga

thatd be a dream job...but i couldnt build a ikea bookcase let alone build a synth lol
waxxy is offline Offline
Old 15th August 2008 , 03:59 PM
Round The Horn

I'm almost tempted but maybe I'm thinking more about Californian sunshine than my true suitability for the job.

I studied Industrial Computing and then Electronics at college. So that was low level how microprocessors work, programming in Basic and assembly language etc, then all the ins and outs of electronic circuits, operational amplifiers etc etc. I am handy with a soldering iron.
My first job was work experience and for 6 months I wrote test programs for various integrated circuits. This was a crazy job working with a very expensive piece of test equipment. The test programs I had to write consisted of line by line 1's and 0's for every input/output pin of the IC. I spent a couple of months having a binary conversation directly with an Intel 8031 microcontroller - the kind of experience that means I have no fear of exploring electronics at a low level, though it probably had a long term effect on my sanity
My experience in the last 20 years has been more at the operating system level. I've worked extensivley with several flavours of unix. I have not done any C programming but I have programmed in unix shell scripts and awk, which has some similarities with C.
If I was ten years younger then maybe, maybe......
saxman is offline Offline
Old 16th August 2008 , 02:24 PM
Hell-Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by saxman View Post
I'm almost tempted but maybe I'm thinking more about Californian sunshine than my true suitability for the job.

I studied Industrial Computing and then Electronics at college. So that was low level how microprocessors work, programming in Basic and assembly language etc, then all the ins and outs of electronic circuits, operational amplifiers etc etc. I am handy with a soldering iron.
My first job was work experience and for 6 months I wrote test programs for various integrated circuits. This was a crazy job working with a very expensive piece of test equipment. The test programs I had to write consisted of line by line 1's and 0's for every input/output pin of the IC. I spent a couple of months having a binary conversation directly with an Intel 8031 microcontroller - the kind of experience that means I have no fear of exploring electronics at a low level, though it probably had a long term effect on my sanity
My experience in the last 20 years has been more at the operating system level. I've worked extensivley with several flavours of unix. I have not done any C programming but I have programmed in unix shell scripts and awk, which has some similarities with C.
If I was ten years younger then maybe, maybe......
Do it, go make some crazy synths with a synth legend. Once in a lifetime opertunity
Old 25th August 2008 , 05:40 PM

Talking Mmmm

How good would this be?!

I think I want to do a postgrad course in DSP!
Old 25th August 2008 , 10:41 PM
Hell-Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrfracas View Post
How good would this be?!

I think I want to do a postgrad course in DSP!
Yeah i second that one but i dont think i could hack more uni, just takes away the fun sometimes. I spent ages reading up on DSP filters and yeah its cool but at the end of the day its one part of a huge system of things and id much rather get on and use that system and see what it can do sometimes than niggle around with the differences in filter designs etc.
Old 25th August 2008 , 10:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAYDMF View Post
Yeah i second that one but i dont think i could hack more uni, just takes away the fun sometimes. I spent ages reading up on DSP filters and yeah its cool but at the end of the day its one part of a huge system of things and id much rather get on and use that system and see what it can do sometimes than niggle around with the differences in filter designs etc.
I think my interest in it stems from creating virtual worlds of interactive sound, as in computer games. I'll love to create an algorithm that emulates reverb in a real-time simulation, like a game engine.

I don't think I'd want to learn about DSP in other areas; it's too massive a subject. But to create effect algorithms... that'd be fantastic!
Old 25th August 2008 , 10:58 PM
Hell-Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrfracas View Post
I think my interest in it stems from creating virtual worlds of interactive sound, as in computer games. I'll love to create an algorithm that emulates reverb in a real-time simulation, like a game engine.

I don't think I'd want to learn about DSP in other areas; it's too massive a subject. But to create effect algorithms... that'd be fantastic!
Ahh your way ahead of me in the DSP game then, im still on the basics really just read up on filters as i wanted to build my own, didnt come out to well so far but im working on it (slowly)
Old 26th August 2008 , 05:09 PM
Spectrum Idoliser

Given that one of the career options I'm hoping for when I graduate from university is programming music software, this to me is like a taunt.

(Just a couple more years...)
Old 5th October 2008 , 11:00 PM
Son of 'Z'

I wish I'd grad'd this year..

Im doing my final project on DSP. Not sure exactly which area yet.

But that is a killer job.

Don't even get me started on DSP Filters. They fascinate me, but I'm really struggling to learn the theory behind them. Poles,zeros, ROCS, Z tranforms, Laplace networks.... all make my head melt. Mainly on the maths front..
EdRyan is offline Offline
Old 6th October 2008 , 08:10 AM
Furry Filter Phreak

That would be so tempting (and probably near perfectly qualified and experienced for it too) - if it was in europe. Now if a certain synth company over in germany were offering the same - might be on the plane already

Actually it sound like alot of fun and sort of know someone who works there allready (he was on the A6 team at Alesis in the past as well).

But California? I very nearly went to live in the states (I work for an american company anyway) and in the end we just couldnt stand the idea of living in plastic hell - America just seemed such a completely ****** up place for my taste - the further away it is - the bettter
Khazul is offline Offline
Old 6th October 2008 , 08:13 AM
Furry Filter Phreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdRyan View Post
Don't even get me started on DSP Filters. They fascinate me, but I'm really struggling to learn the theory behind them. Poles,zeros, ROCS, Z tranforms, Laplace networks.... all make my head melt. Mainly on the maths front..
Thats the easy bit (even if it usually yields brainache and a characterless korg type filter ) - the fun bit is the subtle non-linear processing that leads to harmonic enrichment - ie the pleasent sound characters that come from the impefections of analog components.
Khazul is offline Offline