DV247 Forums - A Global Community for Music Makers

DV247 Forums - A Global Community for Music Makers (/)
-   Forum Feedback (http://forums.dv247.com/forum-feedback/)
-   -   Reporting spam idiocy (http://forums.dv247.com/forum-feedback/7542-reporting-spam-idiocy.html)

TrevCircleStudios 3rd December 2011 10:23 AM

Reporting spam idiocy

Quote:

"the forum requires you wait 60 seconds between reporting spammers"
Sorry but this is a stupid rule. While I want to do my bit to keep the forum clean if there are 5 different spammers messing the place up (like this morning) I'm not going to sit and wait 5 minutes to report them all separately when it should be a one minute job.

Piano 3rd December 2011 12:50 PM

That is a strange rule. What's the reason for it? :confused:

tehlord 3rd December 2011 03:03 PM

Somebody phone Alanis Morrisette.

THIS is ironic

TrevCircleStudios 3rd December 2011 05:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tehlord (Post 56309)
Somebody phone Alanis Morrisette.

THIS is ironic

No. This is the forum feedback section.

Lester 3rd December 2011 08:32 PM

I have come across this when trying to report multiple spam messages. It would be helpful if the delay did not apply to the Report Post button (http://forums.dv247.com/images/dv/buttons/report.gif).

saxman 4th December 2011 03:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Piano (Post 56308)
That is a strange rule. What's the reason for it? :confused:

VBulletin has this rule built-in to prevent a flood of email. Ok, so the DV forum is not quite as busy these days as it used to be, but the VBulletin software which drives this forum is built to allow thousands of simultaneous users. Certain safety checks are therefore built-in so that the chances of a huge number of spam report emails etc being generated at exactly the same time is reduced. This reduces the chances of the forum server becoming overloaded and the forum itself slowing down or stopping temporarily.

TrevCircleStudios 4th December 2011 09:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by saxman (Post 56318)
VBulletin has this rule built-in to prevent a flood of email. Ok, so the DV forum is not quite as busy these days as it used to be, but the VBulletin software which drives this forum is built to allow thousands of simultaneous users. Certain safety checks are therefore built-in so that the chances of a huge number of spam report emails etc being generated at exactly the same time is reduced. This reduces the chances of the forum server becoming overloaded and the forum itself slowing down or stopping temporarily.

Makes sense but in this instance just means if it becomes too much of a pain in the backside to report spam then people just won't.

saxman 5th December 2011 04:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TrevCircleStudios (Post 56319)
Makes sense but in this instance just means if it becomes too much of a pain in the backside to report spam then people just won't.

I have the feeling that there are a few good members here who do regularly report spam, so I reckon many spam posts have been multi-reported. I am not saying 'do not report' because someone else will but I am saying we can possibly come up with a simple mechanism to stop each spam post being reported many times......... I reckon those forum members who have posted to or replied to this post are among the 'Usual Suspects" who regularly report spam.
So, what I personally do, as a 'Usual Suspect' is.... I visit the member page of the spammer and see that I am the only visitor to the page, I then report the spam. If, for example, I was to see that Sureno was a Recent Visitor to the spammer's member page I would assume that he had reported the spam because I know him to be a spam hater/reporter.

TrevCircleStudios 5th December 2011 12:15 PM

Sureno? Who's that then? :cool:

Quote:

Originally Posted by saxman (Post 56330)
I have the feeling that there are a few good members here who do regularly report spam, so I reckon many spam posts have been multi-reported. I am not saying 'do not report' because someone else will but I am saying we can possibly come up with a simple mechanism to stop each spam post being reported many times......... I reckon those forum members who have posted to or replied to this post are among the 'Usual Suspects" who regularly report spam.
So, what I personally do, as a 'Usual Suspect' is.... I visit the member page of the spammer and see that I am the only visitor to the page, I then report the spam. If, for example, I was to see that Sureno was a Recent Visitor to the spammer's member page I would assume that he had reported the spam because I know him to be a spam hater/reporter.

TrevCircleStudios 5th December 2011 12:17 PM

Maybe whoever reports it first just adds a reply: "reported" to the thread to save everyone else doing so?

whitecat 5th December 2011 12:24 PM

If multiple spam posts come from the same "member" then you should only have to report one of them... if the moderators are on the ball they can nuke everything that person spammed in one go.

saxman 5th December 2011 01:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TrevCircleStudios (Post 56337)
Sureno? Who's that then? :cool:

Indeed! - MIA

Quote:

Originally Posted by TrevCircleStudios (Post 56338)
Maybe whoever reports it first just adds a reply: "reported" to the thread to save everyone else doing so?

Simples!

Quote:

Originally Posted by whitecat (Post 56340)
If multiple spam posts come from the same "member" then you should only have to report one of them... if the moderators are on the ball they can nuke everything that person spammed in one go.

True, true.

Lester 5th December 2011 04:25 PM

Quote:

Will do; that sounds like the easiest and simplest solution.

TrevCircleStudios 5th December 2011 10:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by whitecat (Post 56340)

yeah that's no problem. There were like 5 new members spamming when I started this thread making me grumpy very quickly!

Dave Boulden 5th December 2011 11:34 PM

Quote:

Good call, I'll adopt that too :thumbsup: