DV247 Forums - A Global Community for Music Makers Lowest Price Guaranteed, Free Delivery, Free 3 Year Warranty
Go Back   DV247 Forums - A Global Community for Music Makers > Guitars > Effects Pedals & Amps
Forgot Password? Join Us!
Home Register Groups FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Go to DV247.com
New to Forums or just joined? Why not start your journey here?

Effects Pedals & Amps Fx pedals, amp sims, pre-amps, bass DI units, combos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 13th December 2008 , 12:53 PM
Sound Guru

Question Chorus pedals

Hello cohorts

I'm in need of a chorus pedal.

This will not be a super-important effect in my rig, however, I do have a penchant for custom/modded/boutique effects pedals.

Where should the money go?

This looks to be my budget option: http://www.dv247.com/invt/30931/

But I've read mixed things about it. Some seem to love it, others seem to consider it a tone-sucker. I'm not so worried about "tone-sucking" as I am "volume dropping" - to me, the latter is intolerable. Tone "shaping" is the nature of the beast. I'm also not sure as to whether I take Robert Keeley's or Pete Cornish's stance on true bypass either.

The stereo out would be cool but not absolutely necessary, either.

Should I be chasing a vintage CE-1 or CE-2?

What about boutique builders? Anything worth looking at? Analogman seems to have a nice (and expansive!) range of interesting chorus pedals.

I have yet to decide whether I WANT to drop a bunch of cash on this, as again, it's not going to be my most important pedal, but I've found with pedals I REALLY prefer to "buy once" and I don't compromise on anything.

Thoughts welcome!

NB Here's the current list of pedals that this has to fit into somehow (although I rarely use them all at once!) - if that matters/helps -

Z-Vex Super Hard-On
Z-Vex Lo-Fi Loop Junky
Keeley Ibanez AD-9
Keeley Boss TR-2
Boss DD-6
Ibanez CP-9
Boss CS-2
Analogman Boss GE-7
Roger Mayer Voodoo Vibe Jr
tc electronic Nova NR-1
ProCo RAT II
Ibanez TS7
Boss TU-2
MXR SmartGate
Ernie Ball Volume Pedal
whitecat is offline Offline
Last edited by whitecat; 15th December 2008 at 09:09 AM. . <
Old 13th December 2008 , 01:01 PM
Mic Check 1!

I have the MXR EVH90 Van Halen Phase 90 Pedal which is pretty cool. It does both the vintage and modern chorus thing. I want a dimension D desparately though!
Old 13th December 2008 , 01:04 PM
Sound Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrevCircleStudios View Post
I have the MXR EVH90 Van Halen Phase 90 Pedal which is pretty cool. It does both the vintage and modern chorus thing. I want a dimension D desparately though!
Cool, I'll add the MXR to the "list" ...

Mmmm, Dimension D... that's DEFINITELY out of the budget right now, but yes, it would kick some serious chor-ass. - edit - there's one on eBay right now for just over 600 shipped from Japan, that's before import taxes etc...

I like the look of this too:

http://www.dv247.com/invt/46937/

... but am wondering if that's 313 that I could put elsewhere, like, em, property ... being that again, it's not gonna be used very frequently.
Old 20th December 2008 , 05:49 PM
Spectrum Idoliser

The "soul-sucking" sound really with the Boss would be the fact that most Boss pedals are not true bypass. Personally, if I was to get a chorus pedal, I would opt for the Red Witch Empress Chorus, as it sounds pretty good whether subtle or full blown vibrato, and it is true bypass.

Either that, or get a multi-effects that has chorus on it.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=59StwzME0cc
Old 20th December 2008 , 06:01 PM
Sound Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by krykos View Post
The "soul-sucking" sound really with the Boss would be the fact that most Boss pedals are not true bypass. Personally, if I was to get a chorus pedal, I would opt for the Red Witch Empress Chorus, as it sounds pretty good whether subtle or full blown vibrato, and it is true bypass.

Either that, or get a multi-effects that has chorus on it.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=59StwzME0cc
Nah, I don't do multi-fx. There's something about well-made, good sounding single-purposes stomps that really makes me happy.

Could possibly try to get a Keeley Bypass looper to use with any given buffered pedal, but even Pete Cornish has an argument FOR buffered effects... it's an interesting read - http://www.petecornish.co.uk/case_ag...ue_bypass.html

Anyway, all this aside, I have ordered the Boss pedal, and I'm willing to give it a shot. One of the nice things about most basic Boss pedals is that you can get nearly what you paid for them 2nd hand, so if I hate it I'll consider it a 5 temporary rental and look elsewhere. But since my needs for a chorus are small to begin with, it might just be up to the job anyway.

Cheers!
Old 26th December 2008 , 06:10 PM

Thought I would chip in on this one as I am looking for a decent Chorus pedal at the moment.

Firstly - I would not recommend the CH-1. I bought one earlier in the year and regret it. It is far too dry sounding for my tastes. I want a really organic, lush chorus sound and this just does not give that to me. On the other hand I am sure some people like it (and if they want to buy a mint one cheap they can give me a shout).

I have been looking into a few other models. The Analogman ones seem excellent. I would love to have a Bi-chorus but with the current exchange rate and import duty it would work out pretty damn expensive.

Someone here mentioned the Redwitch Empress. That also seems pretty damn good - although pricey. Still a possibility though.

However the original poster mentioned about chasing a vintage CE-1. I don't know if they have considered a Retro-sonic Chorus - basically a CE-1 clone only with the advantages of a smaller box, powered by 9v and true bypass.

Check out this youtube video of a comparison between the two -

[URL="http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=qeKon5JC13g"]http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=qeKon5JC13g[/URL]
Jules35 is offline Offline
Old 26th December 2008 , 08:59 PM
Forum Poet

Very lush. Good shout.
Old 27th December 2008 , 12:42 PM

I just fix amps but there is a guy called Sporky over on musicradar who builds boutquie pedals and seems happy to advise about other brands.

Dave.
ecc83 is offline Offline
Old 31st December 2008 , 10:04 AM
DV Staff

I own a ce-1... its very nice but is a bit noisy. even after a service I'd imagine its still a little too noisy for some peoples tastes.
If you're after a different flavour one of the millions of uni-vibe clones should be a safe bet.

cheers, dan
dvdan is offline Offline
Old 31st December 2008 , 02:51 PM
Sound Guru

@dvdan - I have a Voodoo Vibe Jr already (which is actually acting up again, argh, a call to Roger Mayer will be in order in January) - anyway, you can sweep that to full "chorusing" (ie, removing all the 'vibrato') but it's not a very 'traditional' chorus sound.

After looking at CE1 prices I don't think it's worth it. A CE2 might be worth pursuit someday*, though, but again, I'm not a huge chorus-user.

@Jules35 - Very nice box that. More of a 70s chorus feel. Anyway, I got the CH1 now and I actually like it so far (although I've only been messing around with it for about an hour) - to me it has an "80s" chorus feel - I can see what you mean by "dry" - but it's gonna work for me I think. Will need to record it to see how it sounds, hopefully next week after the hangovers are up I can see how it's gonna sit in a mix. I sort of like the subtlely this thing has - "lush" it is definitely not but "shimmery" it definitely is. More of a colour tool than a 'classic' chorus.

Anyway, putting a CS2 in front of the CH1 helps a LOT too. For 43 I don't think I've erred right now, as it will rarely be in my chain (literally, right now I need it for one thing I'm working on, and I tried a few plug-in chorus fx and none of them sounded right).

However, down the road, should I become a chorus junkie, there are lots of options. Keep posting to the thread if you have ideas/suggestions!

* If anyone has a CE2 they're selling and it's in good nick and not too expensive I'll consider it as well sooner rather than later!
Old 31st December 2008 , 07:33 PM

Hello Terminal3, I've played about with a few chorus pedals in my time (I've got about 40 guitar pedals, so only a small collection ) and imo the best way to find THE chorus pedal of your dreams is to physically demo it.

Having said that I love the following (which I own and have recorded/played with in the past): Danelectro Milkshake, EHX Small Clone... and the following (which I have tried and love but sadly never owned): the EVH chorus, or the more advanced MXR one with about 5 knobs, and the Daneletcro FAB...

All will do lush, wonderful chorus. The MXRs are cleaner, but the Milkshake (which is dirt, dirt cheap, as is the Dano FAB) and the Clone have a certain character to them that I've always loved.

ecc83 has mentioned Sporky. The guy used to build true bypass fx-loop pedals of amazing sonic quality (and retina blinding LEDs in them too, LOL). These kinds of pedals are quite a good tool to have around if you're concerned about level drops and tone. I dont know what an equivilent product would be from DV tbh.
downfader is offline Offline
Old 21st January 2009 , 01:44 AM

You guys should check out this baby- I think it's a little diamond in the dust...
I just bought it- it was cheap- and it's LUSH.

[URL="http://www.coolcattone.com/chorus.html"]http://www.coolcattone.com/chorus.html[/URL]

MMMmmmm.
PEDALPUSHER808 is offline Offline
Old 4th October 2009 , 02:17 PM

I would recommend Electro Harmonix Small Clone Analog. I used to try couple chorus pedals, but this one is the best (for me )
Very good price and pure analog sound.

[url]http://www.dv247.com/studio-equipment/electro-harmonix-small-clone-analog-chorus-pedal--60320[/url]
Roqfort is offline Offline
Old 26th January 2010 , 08:42 PM
Uber Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roqfort View Post
I would recommend Electro Harmonix Small Clone Analog. I used to try couple chorus pedals, but this one is the best (for me )
Very good price and pure analog sound.

http://www.dv247.com/studio-equipmen...s-pedal--60320
What he said.
Piano is offline Offline