DV247 Forums - A Global Community for Music Makers Lowest Price Guaranteed, Free Delivery, Free 3 Year Warranty
Go Back   DV247 Forums - A Global Community for Music Makers > Music Equipment Discussion > Drums & Percussion
Forgot Password? Join Us!
Home Register Groups FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Go to DV247.com
New to Forums or just joined? Why not start your journey here?

Drums & Percussion The place to discuss drum kits, percussion & e-drums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 18th June 2012 , 11:08 PM

Default Am I going forward, backward or what?

This is a story of 3 drumkits.

I recently sold my Roland HD-1 V-drums to a friend. In their place I bought Toontrack's Superior Drummer. I thought this was a good move as I can play my (Arbiter Flats) acoustic drums (out of business hours) as I now rent a room in a commercial building, and the nice sounding drum samples can go into my recordings, triggered by MIDI files which I have either played on a keyboard or written manually in my DAW (Logic).

However, I have learned today that it is possible to play live drums when I am recording and have them trigger the Superior Drummer samples. The Roland HD-1 V-drums had a MIDI out. I have read a bit about affixing piezo electic pickups to acoustic drums which will work with some sort of box that will translate the acoustic sounds into triggers for Superior Drummer (I am not sure if that will be MIDI or not). Or, it seems, electronic drums that have USB or MIDI out (again, I am not sure whether they need either or both) can do the job. And I have no idea if one is more reliable than the other.

I think I know enough to realise that miking up an acoustic kit (a real one, not the kit I have) and getting great recodings is out of my league, so what I would like to achieve eventually is to be able to play my drum parts, record them as (I am guessing) MIDI, manually edit the MIDI data if I want to and trigger the Superior Drummer samples so that my recordings end up with my performance but a nice sound. I know it is possible but am not sure how to get from A to B. What are the possibilities? Piezo triggers? Another electronic kit? Or something else?
Lester is offline Offline
Old 19th June 2012 , 06:44 AM
Uber Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lester View Post

This is a story of 3 drumkits.

I recently sold my Roland HD-1 V-drums to a friend. In their place I bought Toontrack's Superior Drummer. I thought this was a good move as I can play my (Arbiter Flats) acoustic drums (out of business hours) as I now rent a room in a commercial building, and the nice sounding drum samples can go into my recordings, triggered by MIDI files which I have either played on a keyboard or written manually in my DAW (Logic).

However, I have learned today that it is possible to play live drums when I am recording and have them trigger the Superior Drummer samples. The Roland HD-1 V-drums had a MIDI out. I have read a bit about affixing piezo electic pickups to acoustic drums which will work with some sort of box that will translate the acoustic sounds into triggers for Superior Drummer (I am not sure if that will be MIDI or not). Or, it seems, electronic drums that have USB or MIDI out (again, I am not sure whether they need either or both) can do the job. And I have no idea if one is more reliable than the other.

I think I know enough to realise that miking up an acoustic kit (a real one, not the kit I have) and getting great recodings is out of my league, so what I would like to achieve eventually is to be able to play my drum parts, record them as (I am guessing) MIDI, manually edit the MIDI data if I want to and trigger the Superior Drummer samples so that my recordings end up with my performance but a nice sound. I know it is possible but am not sure how to get from A to B. What are the possibilities? Piezo triggers? Another electronic kit? Or something else?
I record drums in exactly that way mate, only difference is that i use BFD2 as i prefer it to seperior drummer but it's all down to taste.

I never programme any of my drums, mainly because i don't know how and don't have the patience.

I have my Roland V-Drums connected to my PC through midi and play with the music in real time, and my hits on the V-Drums trigger the drum sound in BFD2. All of my drums are played and I gather this is the way you are wanting to do things?

All that happens are that my drum hits on the electronic kit trigger the corresponding hits in BFD2. You have to map out which pad corresponds to which, the same way you would do with a midi keyboard etc.

As for Piezo pickups on the drums that you already have, Dave Boulden would be your guy to speak to as he used an electronic/acoustuc kit I'm sure and he knows how to do that. It can definitely be done.

Personally, i bought Roland TD4-KX drum kit with all mesh head pads that respond pretty well. I find it the best compromise and the closest i can get to having the real thing. I would LOVE nothing more than an acoustic kit and to mic it up for recording but as i am in a domestic situation, it just isn't practical but given the opportunity I'd opt for an acoustic kit, although like you say, miking it up etc isn't exactly straight forward if you don't know what you're doing like me!

If i can help in any way at all, just ask mate.
Piano is offline Offline
Old 19th June 2012 , 07:32 AM

That is really helpful. Thanks.

I really liked the mesh head on the HD-1. The rubber toms were alright but the cymbals weren't. If I buy another electronic kit I would like all mesh heads and something a bit more realistic with the cymbals, not just plain single-strike rim and bell sounds or hi-hat open, sizzle and closed. Real cymbals are so black and white for choice of sounds.

It will be interesting to see what Dave or anyone else says about the acoustic route.
Lester is offline Offline
Old 19th June 2012 , 11:46 AM

Yeah you can use midi triggers on an acoustic kit Roland does them. To be honest I much prefer the sound and response from an acoustic kit. In saying that some of the newer Roland V-Drums with the mess heads are pretty close and can also be paired with more sophisticated cymbal pads or real cymbals mic'd up with a couple of room mic's.

My advice would be if you have an acoustic kit available put a little bit of time into sussing out how to record them while you program in superior in the meantime.

------
weaver is offline Offline