DV247 Forums - A Global Community for Music Makers Lowest Price Guaranteed, Free Delivery, Free 3 Year Warranty
Go Back   DV247 Forums - A Global Community for Music Makers > Music Equipment Discussion > Drums & Percussion
Forgot Password? Join Us!
Home Register Groups FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Go to DV247.com
New to Forums or just joined? Why not start your journey here?

Drums & Percussion The place to discuss drum kits, percussion & e-drums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 3rd February 2011 , 10:00 PM

Default lesis DM6 MIDI interface question

Hello Folks,

This is my first posting to this forum.

I have an Alesis DM6 electronic drumkit.

The DM6 manual claims it to be "a trigger-to-MIDI interface with drum module software by connecting its USB port to that of a computer"

It also claims that it outputs MIDI information in two different formats: the internal, or the GM format. The internal format is used for the module to function as a sound source. "Program change" and "Note on/off" messages will be transmitted in this mode. The GM format is used when the module is connected to a computer. In this format, you can use DM6 as a trigger-to-MIDI interface, triggering sounds from your favorite drum module software. Only "Note on/off" messages will be transmitted in this mode."

I also have an M-Audio FastTrack Ultra 8R with two midi 5-pin din connectors. Does anybody know if there is a lead that can successfully connect the DM6 (USB B) connector to the MIDI 5-pin connector.

The FastTrack device feeds into a PC loaded with Cubase Essential 5.

Please, does anybody have any experience with using the DM6 and FastTrack, or DM6 and Cubase Essential 5?

Many thanks in advance!!!!

Confused Ciarriadh
Ciarriadh is offline Offline
Old 3rd February 2011 , 10:43 PM
Keeper o' the Keys!

No, connect your DM6 direct to your PC with a standard USB cable. This connection will appear as a MIDI port within Cubase (or whichever software you use to provide your drum source).
Last edited by Dave Boulden; 6th February 2011 at 12:01 PM. . <
Old 6th February 2011 , 11:32 AM

Hi Dave,
Thanks for your reply!
I did have a message from Win7 that there was a problem with the USB interface, but now that seems to have gone away.
I need to persevere a little because when I loaded one of the Cubase sample tracks that consisted only of loops, I was able to add a MIDI track and see responses from the DM6 on the input activity but no sound out.
Since then, while fiddling about with various settings, I seem to have lost the input activity display Such is life!
Old 6th February 2011 , 12:07 PM
Keeper o' the Keys!

You can't really use loops with something like the DM6, unless you have them loaded into a sampler plugin and use the pads to trigger the loops as samples. You need to load a drum library like EZ Drummer or BFD or even the built-in Cubase drum machine Groove Agent One (not sure if that's included in the Essentials version). You'll be able to find plenty of free drum machine plugins to use if you don't want to spend out just yet.
Old 20th February 2011 , 10:30 PM

[QUOTE=Dave Boulden;52998]You can't really use loops with something like the DM6, unless you have them loaded into a sampler plugin and use the pads to trigger the loops as samples. You need to load a drum library like EZ Drummer or BFD or even the built-in Cubase drum machine Groove Agent One (not sure if that's included in the Essentials version). You'll be able to find plenty of free drum machine plugins to use if you don't want to spend out just yet.[/QUOTE]

Thank you so much for your help. I bought BFD and found that I still couldn't get any MIDI activity and then I opened up the USB driver section under windows 7, found e-drummer, disabled the driver, re-enabled the driver and MIDI activity registered on BFD. So, after some auto learning by BFD, I am now making big and bouncy drum sounds.

Thanks once again for the help I've had to get there (now I have turned the monitors down a bit as I've been driving everyone mad!)