DV247 Forums - A Global Community for Music Makers Lowest Price Guaranteed, Free Delivery, Free 3 Year Warranty
Go Back   DV247 Forums - A Global Community for Music Makers > Music Equipment Discussion > Drums & Percussion
Forgot Password? Join Us!
Home Register Groups FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Go to DV247.com
New to Forums or just joined? Why not start your journey here?

Drums & Percussion The place to discuss drum kits, percussion & e-drums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12th November 2008 , 09:59 PM

Default EZDrummer GM map for Sonar?

Hi All

It has been suggested I get a "Proper"drum program which would enhance my tunes,ok
I have EZDrummer but I can't make it play to the GM format in Sonar.

Does anyone know if this is possible,I think getting something like BFD2 is overkill for what I want it for?

Thanks

Alan
asimmd is offline Offline
Old 13th November 2008 , 10:45 AM
Forum Scribe

You should be easily be able to set that up. I think you do need to use Sonar's Drum Map manager. Sonar has a number of drum maps ready to go but none for EZ drummer AFAICT.

You can easily use the GM Drums (Complete kit) that should cover your needs. You should also be able to use Sonars Step Sequencer as well to trigger EZ drummer should you wish to.

How did you try and set up EZ drummer in Sonar?

Monarch is offline Offline
Old 13th November 2008 , 11:51 AM

Hi Monarch

Well,don't laugh but I just loaded EZDrummer into Synth Rack and assigned it to the drum track,the only thing that was wrong on the tune I am working on was the Hi-Hats were playing as Ride Cymbals so I went into Staff View and moved the ride cymbal notes to where the Hi-Hats are and saved it,job done.

Problem with EZDrummer is that I only have the default kit,and to be honest,it dosen't sound that much better than the TTS1,but at least I got it working.

Question is,would something like BFD2 make a big difference,or would it be overkill for what I am doing with it?

By the way,the tune is Desperado.

Alan
Old 13th November 2008 , 01:04 PM
Forum Scribe

Quote:
Originally Posted by asimmd View Post
Hi Monarch

Well,don't laugh but I just loaded EZDrummer into Synth Rack and assigned it to the drum track,the only thing that was wrong on the tune I am working on was the Hi-Hats were playing as Ride Cymbals so I went into Staff View and moved the ride cymbal notes to where the Hi-Hats are and saved it,job done.
No need for me to laugh...I have had many of my own silp ups over time But in your case I am not sure it is a slip up at all. I think you demonstrated just how you can acheive something a different way or a in a way that works best for you if the tools are there.

Quote:
Problem with EZDrummer is that I only have the default kit,and to be honest,it dosen't sound that much better than the TTS1,but at least I got it working.
It could be the default kit is not the best showcase for it but the TTS1 does IIRC use Roland drum sounds so maybe it is a case of the TTS1 sounds being quite good for drums.

Quote:
Question is,would something like BFD2 make a big difference,or would it be overkill for what I am doing with it?
If you have the budget and the hard drive space (55GB of gigabytes IIRC). Then yes BFD will surely give you many more options than EZ drummer and TTS-1 but if you are happy with what you have and it is working for you, changing things might not help.

BFD is certainly worth a look and will offer granular editing and a sea of sounds and options to play around with. Try the BFD demo...you might not like it after some time, then again you might love it!

I think you aksed about Superior Drummer as well on your first thread...not much between them IMO but try the SD demo as well and see which fits your style and budget. You might prefer the interface of SD or BFD.

Quote:
By the way,the tune is Desperado.

Alan
Desperado heh

As you are still unsure about getting BFD2 or Superior drummer (or if you should even get any of them) ...here are some videos I think you might like to see...

EZ drummer

SD
Superior Drummer 2 demo 1

Demo 2

Superior Drummer 2 NAMM 2008

Part 1

Part 2

BFD

Part 1

Part 2

Part 3

Part 4

Part 5

Part 6

Part 7

The Kit Piece Inspector 1

The Kit Piece Inspector 2

I think it will help if you assign Ez drummer to a track in Sonar with a drum map still though, I can take you step by step through that if you want, then simply save it as a track template (with any FX added e.t.c) that you can load into any project. No need to configure it again.

Old 13th November 2008 , 02:13 PM
Forum Poet

I use EzDrummer and it is odd that Sonar doesn't have a drum map. It's one of the things I don't like about DAW companies and the way they are with certain companies.

The TTS-1 default kit is quite booming and surprisingly good - sound wise.

I advise getting ezdrummer if you're a normal beat type of person who doesn't need explosive drums. In the end though, Sonar plug-ins and ezdrummer tweaks can perform like other 'heavier' drum plug-ins.

i just wanna drag drop - copy - fill - copy - fill - the end

The step sequencer is handy too - I use that a lot now. Very easy way to get simple or complicated patterns
Last edited by I_Am_Bic_Pentameter; 13th November 2008 at 02:17 PM. . <
Old 13th November 2008 , 02:14 PM
Forum Poet

Nice Vids Monarch - I've seen a few before and I'll watch the rest - but you better not force me to buy anything
Old 13th November 2008 , 02:15 PM

Thanks for the reply Monarch,the video's are excellent,BFD sounds so much better than what I have,makes me want to order it.
I am downloading the demo as I type this so we will see.

I often wonder how much my Audio interface has to do with the quality of my sound,it's an M-Audio Delta 4/10,had it since they came out.

Thank you for your kind ofer to show me how to create atemplate for EZDrummer in Sonar,I think this is a good idea,and I would like to take you up on the offer.

Alan
Old 13th November 2008 , 05:36 PM
Forum Scribe

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Am_Bic_Pentameter View Post
I use EzDrummer and it is odd that Sonar doesn't have a drum map. It's one of the things I don't like about DAW companies and the way they are with certain companies.
It's not that hard to create but yeah it would be easier with a ready made drum map. BFD has a few ready made maps in Sonar 8.

Quote:

Nice Vids Monarch - I've seen a few before and I'll watch the rest - but you better not force me to buy anything
Heh

Quote:
Thanks for the reply Monarch,the video's are excellent,BFD sounds so much better than what I have,makes me want to order it.
I am downloading the demo as I type this so we will see.
See you in a month or two! BFD is pretty deep. Take a compass on your journey

Quote:
I often wonder how much my Audio interface has to do with the quality of my sound,it's an M-Audio Delta 4/10,had it since they came out.
Ohhh that might be a factor. Is that a 410 or something older? An RME, Echo or Saffire would defintely better that.

Quote:
Thank you for your kind ofer to show me how to create atemplate for EZDrummer in Sonar,I think this is a good idea,and I would like to take you up on the offer.
I think I might download EZ drummer...might be of interest to me as well, I can then create the drum map for you. I will then attach it to this thread. Cool?

Here is another superb drum option though...

Addictive drums

Introduction

Getting started

Inserts and effects

Old 13th November 2008 , 07:10 PM

Well, I was looking at Addictive Drums but as no one had mentioned them perhaps they were not very good.

I actually downloaded the demo,which installs as a VST in Sonar,again no drum map,and I have asked a question on their forum regarding the playing of Midi files but no answer as yet,I like it.

Now to the thorny subject of my Soundcard.

I have been wanting to replace my M-Audio Delta 4/10 for some time but,everyone I spoke to about it recons I would be better off keeping it,as they couldn't say what difference I would get if I bought say a Fireface 400.

Perhaps you could tell me if there would be a difference,and what improvement there would be.The Delta 4/10 is about 6 years old,I have had it since they came out,there are only legacy drivers for it now,and I don't think any for Vista.

Alan
Old 13th November 2008 , 07:54 PM
Forum Scribe

Quote:
Well, I was looking at Addictive Drums but as no one had mentioned them perhaps they were not very good.
It is a very popular plug and has had excellent reviews. Top draw plug.

Quote:
I actually downloaded the demo,which installs as a VST in Sonar,again no drum map,and I have asked a question on their forum regarding the playing of Midi files but no answer as yet,I like it.
This is the thing about demos...something might not have crossed your path before but it feels right once you use it.

Quote:
Now to the thorny subject of my Soundcard.

I have been wanting to replace my M-Audio Delta 4/10 for some time but,everyone I spoke to about it recons I would be better off keeping it,as they couldn't say what difference I would get if I bought say a Fireface 400.

Perhaps you could tell me if there would be a difference,and what improvement there would be.The Delta 4/10 is about 6 years old,I have had it since they came out,there are only legacy drivers for it now,and I don't think any for Vista.

I am 99.9% certain if you went for an RME the AD/DA converters would be much better. You will need good monitors, e.t.c to get the most out of it. Driver support is another. As you mentioned you doubt if there are any Vista drivers for your old card. No such issue with RME.

Having said all that...room treatment is another thing to consider. Something I want to sort out at some point. So really your sound card might not be the weakest point in your studio at this point but it is quite old.

Old 14th November 2008 , 10:39 AM

Well,I think a list of my equipment is called for:

Fender Custom Shop Strat - Vox Tonelab - Behringer Composer Pro 2600 Compressor - Zoom RFX 2200 Digital Reverb with custom Echo Programme - Spirit Soundcraft M4 Mixer - M-Audio Delta 4/10 Audio Card - Samson Servo 120A Amp - Spirit Absolute 2 Monitors.

Computer is Self build Intel Quad 6600 - 4Gig Ram - BFG 8800 GFX - 24" Dell Monitor.

The way I have listed the audio equipment is the way I use it,in that order.

I notice that the Fireface 400 have increased in price again,so I was considering an HDSP 96/32 Card as an alternative.

I have mailed XLN Audio direct about playing midi files with Addictive Drums.I await their reply.

Alan
Old 14th November 2008 , 01:12 PM
Keeper o' the Keys!

Quote:
Actually, I did mention it in passing, but I referred to it as "XLN" who are the company who make it rather than by thew product name. I haven't used it myself, but one of my muso mates absolutely raves about it. Must admit, the audio demos sound really good.
Old 14th November 2008 , 04:34 PM

Apologies Dave,I must have missed that.

I have now had a play with all the available demo's,can't find one for Superior 2,and the one that stands out has to be BFD2,they just sound smoother than the others.
Yes,I know I said it might be OTT to get such an in depth prog,but it sounds so good.

Ah well,off to the relevant forums to see if anyone has replied to my questions.

Alan
Old 14th November 2008 , 04:42 PM
Forum Scribe

Quote:
Well,I think a list of my equipment is called for:

Fender Custom Shop Strat - Vox Tonelab - Behringer Composer Pro 2600 Compressor - Zoom RFX 2200 Digital Reverb with custom Echo Programme - Spirit Soundcraft M4 Mixer - M-Audio Delta 4/10 Audio Card - Samson Servo 120A Amp - Spirit Absolute 2 Monitors.

Computer is Self build Intel Quad 6600 - 4Gig Ram - BFG 8800 GFX - 24" Dell Monitor.
That is a pretty good set up. Very similar to mine.

Quote:
I notice that the Fireface 400 have increased in price again,so I was considering an HDSP 96/32 Card as an alternative.
I have a personal preference for the Fireface but go with the best option for your budget.

The drum map....

Well..I thought I would stroll down to Toontracks website and simply download a demo(still not sure if they even have one)...no. They are far to fussy about creating an account first, then making sure you have more than 3 letters for a froum user name blah blah...so I skipped that.

So sorry no attached Map but here are the instructions...more detail can be found in Sonar's help section but let me know if you need futher assistance.

Setting up an EZ drummer drum map...

1. Load up an instance of EZ drummer

2. Click on the output field (on the EZ drummer Midi track) You should now see a drop down menu

3. Choose the Drum Map Manager, once the Drum Map Manager appears...

4. Click on the New button (top left).

5. Then click in the Presets field and choose the GM drums (Complete kit)

6. Hold down the Ctrl and shift keys and click on one of the drop down arrows in the Out Port section

7. Then click on EZ drummer this should change all the Out Port entries to EZ Drummer. The Chn column should have all entries on channel 10

8. If you look in the Ports and Channels box at the bottom of the screen EZ drummer should now be there.

9. Click in the Presets field again (should be blank) and type a name for this Map, then save it.

If you now click on the PRV mode button on the EZ drummer track the notes should change to drum names (abbreviations) You might want to maximise the track.

Thats it really.

Old 14th November 2008 , 05:03 PM

Hi Monarch

Many thanks for the instructions which I hope to try later.

I still have not received a reply from any of the forums regarding using the drum progs with midi,I suppose what I am really asking is can I use it as a GM setup,maybe they think that's a bit cheeky for such a complex prog but hey,If I buy it,I can please myself what I do with it.

Looks like another sale lost,ho hum.

Alan