DV247 Forums - A Global Community for Music Makers Lowest Price Guaranteed, Free Delivery, Free 3 Year Warranty
Go Back   DV247 Forums - A Global Community for Music Makers > Music Equipment Discussion > Drums & Percussion
Forgot Password? Join Us!
Home Register Groups FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Go to DV247.com
New to Forums or just joined? Why not start your journey here?

Drums & Percussion The place to discuss drum kits, percussion & e-drums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 20th October 2008 , 07:25 AM
Chilled to the 'bone

Question Tips using electronic set live

My bands drummer bought an electronic drum set and is enthusiastic to use it for live gigs also. When practising we had some serious issues with monitoring and vibration caused by bass and subwoofers. Bass drum had unintented strokes when floor vibrated. Set is a Alesis set with Yamaha brain. Any isolation available? Any tips?
trbguy is offline Offline
Old 20th October 2008 , 09:42 AM
Furry Filter Phreak

The approach I take with my roland TD12 kit is to tweak the sensitivity and threshold of the triggers - the result has no undesirable effect upon playing, if anything its all alot tighter.

You generally want to do that anyway just to ensure that vibrations from hitting one pad dont travel through the frame and trigger another.
Khazul is offline Offline
Old 20th October 2008 , 12:36 PM
Chilled to the 'bone

Yes, that was of course the first thing to do. Maybe the problem was that flagstone floor we have. Bass drum started to get too unsensitive when we got those unwanted triggerings off. I thought maybe there was something to lessen vibrations when playing there? What kind of monitoring do you use?
Old 20th October 2008 , 01:01 PM
Furry Filter Phreak

In my studio - the thing is in partial line of fire of a 250W sub unit, but also sat on its own thick carpet-rug thing on top of a very solid wooden floor (mainly to keep the kick spikes off the floor) - I dont play drums live - I'm not that good

Also I havnt actuallyheard of p[eople having this kind of problem with the Roland TD12/TD20 kits as the trigger setting options are good and the manual warns you about calibrating to avoid trigger cross talk (ie vibrations through the frame etc).

I suggest that for live use if you cant fix with senstivity/threshold tweaks, then the other obvious option is to try and dampen vibrations coming through the floor with some carpet or even a gym mat.
Khazul is offline Offline
Last edited by Khazul; 20th October 2008 at 01:05 PM. . <
Old 20th October 2008 , 02:56 PM
Chilled to the 'bone

We have 2 18"subs, 2000W amp, and were mostly playing some techno stuff where electric drums are the thing. I have to make him test some gym mat and see if it works.